Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's your favourite philosopher?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭renedescartes

There can only be one...........SOCRETES

He was the only one to come to the conclusion that he knew nothing and was able to admit it. My kind of guy

Rene:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Rene,
    I know shag all too and the more I read and think, the less I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Scigaithris

Jacques Derrida. Why? He questions the dichotomies we live by: right-wrong, good-evil, love-hate, fact-fiction, rational-irrational.

After all, can such two-dimensional views on life between bipolar opposites accurately depict a multi-dimensional world, or universe, or whatever you want to call it?

I also enjoy his sense of humour, especially when he teased many of the postmodernist, deconstructionist types, who claimed he was not a deconstructionist, per se. In his later years, he interviewed with Dinitia Smith at the Polo Grill. He is quoted: "I often describe deconstruction as something which happens. It's not purely linguistic, involving texts or books. You can deconstruct gestures, choreography. That's why I enlarged the concept of text." (Deconstruction in a Nutshell: A Conversation with Jacques Derrida).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement