Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checkpoint

Options
  • 13-06-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

on Sunday last i decided to go for a shot crows magpies and the like. about
    half a mile down the road i was stopped at a check point, everything OK until
    the guard spotted the gun in the back seat of the car, and he asked me to pull over to the side of the road, he ran a check on the gun details and found all OK, but said that if i didn't put the gun in the booth of the car he would
    take it off me. i left the gun case at home which i would not use unless i was going clay shooting. i said i don't have the gun long and that no way was i putting it in the booth getting knocked around i paid the bones of two grand
    for it. browning 525. not happening at all so he took the gun from me made me look like a criminal locals passing up and down the road until i went up home for the guncase.had he the right to do this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

think theres some law that when transporting guns they have to be kept in a secure manner and out of the public eye

he probably does have the right to do it but its better to keep on the right side of the law even if they're not exaclty following the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

they can make up wat ever rules they like, same kinda crap happened me and a friend one nite out lamping pulled us over at check point when seen rifle, searched da whole car even under seats! took down details told us to go home without doin any more lamping, some a them r power hungry b*******

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Liam Good

caos wrote:
    on Sunday last i decided to go for a shot crows magpies and the like. about
    half a mile down the road i was stopped at a check point, everything OK until
    the guard spotted the gun in the back seat of the car, and he asked me to pull over to the side of the road, he ran a check on the gun details and found all OK, but said that if i didn't put the gun in the booth of the car he would
    take it off me. i left the gun case at home which i would not use unless i was going clay shooting. i said i don't have the gun long and that no way was i putting it in the booth getting knocked around i paid the bones of two grand
    for it. browning 525. not happening at all so he took the gun from me made me look like a criminal locals passing up and down the road until i went up home for the guncase.had he the right to do this

Yes, luckily you are not in the UK or you would be facing criminal charges for having a gun in a public place uncased. I believe that if you paid so much for it that keeping it in a case would be a sensible thing to do to protect your investment. Question; is it not a little stupid to keep the gun on the back seat of a car uncased, more likely to get damaged if you need to stop suddenly than if it was cased and stored in the boot. Unless you had it on the seat for an opportunistic shot at something, although you wouldn't be THAT stupid, would you?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

What the hell have you got your gun in plain view for Rambo?

GUILTY! Next...
    Magpies 1 - Rambo 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

ozzy he wasn't waving it out da window it was in the back of his own private car while he was in it, bring a big jacket an cover it anymore wat they cant see wont bother them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 caos

Ozzy wrote:
    What the hell have you got your gun in plain view for Rambo?

GUILTY! Next...
    Magpies 1 - Rambo 0

i have nothing to hide dumbo who is ozzy? o ya junkey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

We all know what they can be like, fair enough. Did this garda know you? In all honesty and in no way having a go at you I think he did basically the right thing. With our history and criminal element guns in public view aren't the best idea, even my own sister is intimidated by my shotgun ffs!! people can be like that. But next time save yourself the hassle and bring the case. You bought the thing so your gun won't get damaged right? Like was said, protect your investment and your licence ;) You gotta ask yourself the question is it worth losing my licence/firearm for something like that? OK I know that's very unlikely to happen but guns in this country right now are in the spotlight bigtime and we all have to do as much as we can to make sure we make no mistakes which could give bad press :)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

i have nothing to hide dumbo who is ozzy? o ya junkey...
    Wha?

If you can still hear me mate, make sure you lie on your side tonight, and drink plenty of water! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hmmm... Is lamping not illegal? I could have sworn it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hmmm... Is lamping not illegal? I could have sworn it is...

No it is perfectly legal.. as long as you follow the rules..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Ozzy wrote:
    Wha?

If you can still hear me mate, make sure you lie on your side tonight, and drink plenty of water! :)

I think Ozzy you are in the wrong form!!
    This is a form about shooting! not the personal issues form. possibly someone can re direct you to it. as you have some :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

caos wrote:
    on Sunday last i decided to go for a shot crows magpies and the like.
    about half a mile down the road i was stopped at a check point, everything OK until the guard spotted the gun in the back seat of the car, and he asked me to pull over to the side of the road, he ran a check on the gun details and found all OK, but said that if i didn't put the gun in the booth of the car he would take it off me. i left the gun case at home which i would not use unless i was going clay shooting. i said i don't have the gun long and that no way was i putting it in the booth getting knocked around i paid the bones of two grand for it. browning 525. not happening at all so he took the gun from me made me look like a criminal locals passing up and down the road until i went up home for the guncase. had he the right to do this

A few questions...
    Do you know the laws relevent to gun ownership?
    Why would you not protect a €2000 gun with a case?
    Why do you only use the case when clay shooting, why not all the time?
    Why would you not go back the half mile to get it when asked reasonably?
    Why would you not put the gun in the boot when asked reasonably?
    Did you think anyone here would say "Yes, you're right, the Garda was wrong"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement