Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to learn about windows servers & exchange

• 13-06-2006 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the best way to go about learning in depth about windows servers. I have a spare machine to use and have windows 2000 server install disks. I have another 4 machines to connect to the network, so will be setting up user accounts etc... but at first will be messing around with one pc.

I just more or less want to learn about how to setup and maintain a windows based server. Would the best option be to buy the full set of books (5 books I think, for windows 2003) or to just wing it from internet manuals and trial and error using a server?

I will eventually setup exchange when I get the basics down but just want to get the server up and running properly first.

Any info and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It depends on whether you're aiming for it to be something you want to put on your CV. Either the books, or take a course on it. Probably preferably both, and a certification on it is probably a necessity for a lot of places if you want to admin it professionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Well thinking about it now, i'd go for the certification, was looking at that, they seem to have certification for everything :p

So yeah, eventually to get certified. But was wondering from peoples experience is the hands on approach better than trying to learn it from a book, or a combo of both?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hands on is best IMO, but I'd recommend reading up on things too, first, before they get broken :)

Check out VMWare Server, it may help you practice setting up (plus you can have a "clean" copy of the server to go back to if needs be)

Advertisement