Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can it take for a floor clearance cert to be granted?

Options
  • 13-06-2006 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious as today we found out the builder's lied last week when they said the cert had been granted. I'm curious as to just how long something like this could take. It's been the reason the sale has been held up so long. You'd think with a new block of apartments sold under the assurance of being stamp duty exempt that it would have been sorted quickly no? Everyone else in the block apart from the small handful of investors is in the same boat as us.

How much longer could we be kept waiting? It's been over 18 weeks now and the place has been ready to move in to since the start.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What exactly is a floor clearance cert and who gives it out? Never heard of it myself.

I know most new builds have to be checked to see if they meet building standards. Is this covered under that?

A family member built a new home and the stairs was too narrow. Architect wouldn’t certify they house. In the end the builder had to redo the stairs and it took a while to sort out. If your house is built to standard it should be certified fairly quickly. If not you could be in for a longer wait. Another thing to note is that some insurance companies wont insure your house if it’s not up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Don't talk to me about feckin FAC's! I work for a building company & have a dent in my head from banging it off the desk chasing the damn things.

Basically, all new dwellings are registered with either HomeBond or Premier Guarantee for the 10 year structural warranty. These two bodies issue certs which form part of the closing docs.

If the dwelling is under x amount of square feet, you also need a Floor Area Certificate which is issued by the Department of the Environment. These boys drive me mental because they are accountable to nobody, refuse to give out contact numbers and are generally a right PITA. It took me 9 (yes NINE) months to get FAC's for an apartment development in Dublin because they had an issue with the system of building, which THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY APPROVED! I had to threaten to sue the Minister to get the certs released.

A certificate of compliance is issued by the architect & is an entirely different matter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

babaduck wrote:
    Don't talk to me about feckin FAC's! I work for a building company & have a dent in my head from banging it off the desk chasing the damn things.

Basically, all new dwellings are registered with either HomeBond or Premier Guarantee for the 10 year structural warranty. These two bodies issue certs which form part of the closing docs.

If the dwelling is under x amount of square feet, you also need a Floor Area Certificate which is issued by the Department of the Environment. These boys drive me mental because they are accountable to nobody, refuse to give out contact numbers and are generally a right PITA. It took me 9 (yes NINE) months to get FAC's for an apartment development in Dublin because they had an issue with the system of building, which THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY APPROVED! I had to threaten to sue the Minister to get the certs released.

A certificate of compliance is issued by the architect & is an entirely different matter.

Didnt know this.

So who can issue the certs? Can you higher some one to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

babaduck wrote:

That sounds similar to my present issue. The Dept. of the Environment were hassling the builders over the insulation design or so I was told. The 10 year bond is in place afaik.

Advertisement