Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for using the word "phuck" in AH

Options
  • 13-06-2006 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Nesf is usually the most level headed of the AH Mods but I find his banning of me for a week for using the word "phuck" when describing taxi drivers as "greedy phucks" to be completely OTT.

Ive been a member/user of Boards for 3 or 4 years now, this is completetly unwarrented and not in the AH Charter.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Complaints are not for feedback, take it to the mod in question or use Helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

I cant link to it as I cant get into AH ;)

Its in the last couple of pages of the taxi thread

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This is the part of the charter that got you banned:
    Arguing with a moderator
    - Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things to Feedback.

Giving cheek or attitude to a moderator will get you banned.

Do not under any circumstances complain about a mod on this forum. Do it either on PM or in Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Haha...giving cheek. Tis like being back in school again. Take the ban like a man pullmyfinger. It's good to spend some time away from after hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054937110&page=5

^^^
    Link to thread. Came across it by accident while reading After Hours (why, oh god why?). Apparently OP was banned for only a week. Excitement/drama potential: low. My need for sleep: high. Goodnight all.

Ok but where in the Charter does it say the word "f*ck" cant be retyped as "fcuk" etc? Its done every day on every board on Boards :rolleyes: You seem to be taking a bad day out on nothing at all Nesf which is a shame as, upto now, you were far and away the most level headed of the AH mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

In fairness he gave you a clear warning for your over use of the word and then you posted the word straight after receiving that warning. It's not like the ban came out of nowhere. You were warned and you continued to argue.

fade2black wrote:
    Haha...giving cheek. Tis like being back in school again.

My point exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ok but where in the Charter does it say the word "f*ck" cant be retyped as "fcuk" etc? Its done every day on every board on Boards :rolleyes: You seem to be taking a bad day out on nothing at all Nesf which is a shame as, upto now, you were far and away the most level headed of the AH mods
    Stop fcuking moaning PullMyFinger (3/10,He's a fcuking moaner). The week will fcuking fly by. Good Fcuking Night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

My point exactly.

It's the charter though. The thing you're supposed to read and agree to before posting. If you got warnings too you must have seen this coming. Seriously, you know this is not the most important thing that's going to happen to you this week.

clown bag wrote:
    In fairness he gave you a clear warning for your over use of the word and then you posted the word straight after receiving that warning. It's not like the ban came out of nowhere. You were warned and you continued to argue.

It doesnt say anywhere in the Charter that the word cant be re-typed as "fcuk" or whatever. If it was I wouldnt haved used it. It also isnt overused by me. Id like examples.

Is everyone who bandies about variations of the F word going to be banned/warned then?

Tis a joke.

Pighead wrote:
    Stop fcuking moaning PullMyFinger (3/10,He's a fcuking moaner). The week will fcuking fly by. Good Fcuking Night.

Ban him! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

My point exactly.

agreed there are A LOT of mods and posters that take this thing called boards.ie too seriously and act like they are above you and better than you because they are a mod of a postboard. so what if the charter says it. Take it easy. its not gonna hurt your ego to take a little abuse or if someone argues. youre not always right mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I agree every Cnut on boards does use adaptations of curses regularly but to publicly argue with a mod of the particular forum your posting only invites a banning. When you got the warning you should have protested in a pm and not on the public board.
    You basically said...Go on, I dare you to ban me. (and he did)

It doesnt say anywhere in the Charter that the word cant be re-typed as "fcuk" or whatever. If it was I wouldnt haved used it. It also isnt overused by me. Id like examples.

Is everyone who bandies about variations of the F word going to be banned/warned then?

Tis a joke.

You were asked by a moderator to stop doing a specific action on that forum. This is called 'a warning.'

From the Charter:
    Arguing with a moderator
    - Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things to Feedback.

Giving cheek or attitude to a moderator will get you banned.

Do not under any circumstances complain about a mod on this forum. Do it either on PM or in Feedback.

You attempted to argue with a moderator after receiving a warning, and you were then banned. If you can't see this, then that's your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree with nesf.

You weren't banned because you used the word phuck. You were banned because you argued a warning that I gave you. Twice. I was nice and explained myself again the first time.

Oh and btw, the charter isn't a binding document on mods it's just a list of the things that will definitely get you banned.

Edit: Oh and the text in your sig is too big ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You were lucky, if I had warned you twice and you still wouldn't shut up It'd be a much longer ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

So he was warned for overusing a word, and then banned for questioning it...a bit much IMO especially considering theres a thread sitting there with adults and children talking/questioning each other about sex/masturbation and absolutely nothings been said about it..
    Oh well, just my 2cents worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post reported post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

How about for abuse. There are several taxi drivers that use boards and your constant referal of them (taxi drivers in general) as "fcukers" was a bit much no? You started off airing your grievencess honestly enough at the begining but what got into you near the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

garred wrote:
    How about for abuse. There are several taxi drivers that use boards and your constant referal of them (taxi drivers in general) as "fcukers" was a bit much no?

Agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

San José? Sure, that's the back of beyonds!

garred wrote:
    How about for abuse. There are several taxi drivers that use boards and your constant referal of them (taxi drivers in general) as "fcukers" was a bit much no? You started off airing your grievencess honestly enough at the begining but what got into you near the end?

That is the reason he was requested to tone down his language in the first place. The word itself is not something that I would ban someone for or warn someone about, it is the context in which it is used that is important.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    agreed there are A LOT of mods and posters that take this thing called boards.ie too seriously and act like they are above you and better than you because they are a mod of a postboard. so what if the charter says it. Take it easy. its not gonna hurt your ego to take a little abuse or if someone argues. youre not always right mods.

The rules on AH are simple. We don't interfere in the forum unless it's necessary, but when we do we expect people to respect our decisions. He wasn't going to be banned over something as minor as using the phrase "greedy phuckers" in a way that offended some people. All he had to do was have the cop on to stop using said phrase after he was asked to.

That way none of us would be wasting our time in here arguing over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

simu wrote:
    San José? Sure, that's the back of beyonds!

la lalalala lalalala!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ruu wrote:
    Complaints are not for feedback

Yes they are... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

blah blah blah blah blah blah.

stop whinging like a girl.

whether it is 'technically' right or wrong that you were banned, you were banned by nesf, and youre going to stay banned.

now, have youre little rant, get over it, and no doubt we will see your significant contributions back in AH in a week.
    garred wrote:

i have no doubt we will see you campaigning vociferously in future against travelling people being called 'knackers' about people from tallaght being called 'chavs', about people from the northside being called 'scumbags', about people from poland being generalised as 'gansters' and all the other rubbish that is posted up?

we will wont we?

becuase it would be really stupid for you to come on here and complain about this if youre not.

wouldnt it?

rb_ie wrote:
    So he was warned for overusing a word, and then banned for questioning it...a bit much IMO especially considering theres a thread sitting there with adults and children talking/questioning each other about sex/masturbation and absolutely nothings been said about it..
    Oh well, just my 2cents worth.

sorry, didnt see youre reported post.
    must have missed it.

usually rubbish from you rb_ie. same old usual rubbish.
    /ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jaysus Pullmyphinger!, how many boards is that you've been banned from now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement