Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lending my car while I'm away

Options
  • 13-06-2006 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going away for about 2 months and want to lend my car to my brother. Is it as simple as that? He'll be learning to drive in it and he'll be on a provisional and all that. I'll still own the car. Also, what happens if he is caught for speeding for example?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doesn't sound like it should be a problem tbh. Is your brother already a named driver on your insurance?

Good question as regards the speeding. If he's pulled over, then the points will go on his licence. I'm not sure what happens if your car is caught on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

No he wont be a named driver. He hasn't got insurance yet, but I'm thinking the best way is for him to just get his own on a monthly payment. Oh wait.... Uh oh... can you get insurance for Just 2 months???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah, you just buy a year's insurance then cancel after 2 months.

of course:D never thought of that. Will that show as a bad record for my brother though? Do they ask have you ever had insurance declined or cancelled on you? If he cancells does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will probably be cheaper to get him put on as a named driver but if he has an accident and it's his fault your NCB is affected.

Not sure if they will insure the car under his own policy as you are already insured on it, also some insurance companies may have a problem insuring someone as the main driver who is not down as the registered owner of the car. Might be worth checking these things out with the insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If he cancels, that doesn't count. Generally, they are talking about having insurance cancelled for failing to disclose details, etc.

If your car is caught on camera, the speeding fine has a small "sign-off" docket at the bottom where you can stick in the name and address of the person who was driving your car at the time. They then reissue the fine to that person.

Thanks for the replies. That's good to know about the sign off docket.

Wouldn't having him on my insurance bump up the price I have to pay? What other advantages/disadvantages is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

bazz26 wrote:
    Not sure if they will insure the car under his own policy as you are already insured on it, also some insurance companies may have a problem insuring someone as the main driver who is not down as the registered owner of the car. Might be worth checking these things out with the insurance companies.

I am doing this at the moment but I did it with a different insurance co to my sister just in case the same reg no gets flagged on the system. It shouldn't really matter though. If you have a couple that both have full NCB's and only one car should one of you forfeit your full NCB.
    cormie wrote:

Wouldn't having him on my insurance bump up the price I have to pay?

Make him pay for it, but better option as Bazz26 says is to let him get his own insurance and mind your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

But like somebody else mentioned, you will probably have to transfer ownership of the car to him for him to have it insured in his own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yes, to be the insured on a car, you or your spouse must be the owner.

Also, if he is caught speeding, the fine/points will be sent to the registered owner, but there is a section where you can declare and name another person who was driving the car, and hence transferring the points to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

prospect wrote:
    Yes, to be the insured on a car, you or your spouse must be the owner.
    This only counts for Fire, Theft and Fully Comp, surely?
    Can he not get TPO insurance if the car isn't his?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

seamus wrote:
    This only counts for Fire, Theft and Fully Comp, surely?
    Can he not get TPO insurance if the car isn't his?

I am not sure about that, I have never had a TPO policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Stephen wrote:
    But like somebody else mentioned, you will probably have to transfer ownership of the car to him for him to have it insured in his own name.
    I don't know if this matters to you, but i think that if you transfer ownership to him, and then he transfers it back to you on your return, your car will have 2 additional owners on its history. I did this with my gf (a few times) and our car is now registered as having 10 owners or something! I don't care since we do not intend to re-sell the car, and I don't even know if the number of previous owners effects the re-sale value of a car but its something you might want to consider too if you plan on selling your car at some point in the future...

I bought the car for €600:D I'll still try and sell it for about €700 when the time comes though. If they see it's just toing and frowing to the same family, I don't think it will effect it much. Is transferring of ownership complicated for such a short period of time?

Advertisement