Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car restoration.

• 13-06-2006 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

From a previous post I put up here a few months ago I'm planning to put aside a day or two towards the end of July, as its my quietest time, to help out anyone with a classic car here who wants to learn a bit about classic car restoration. I run a crash repair business and also restore classic cars. I'll show anyone who's interested the basics in welding, metal fabrication, fibreglassing, filling and painting. I have a couple interested already but I'd prefer to keep numbers small as I'd like to get a bit of work done too rather than just talk all day about it. Let me know what areas of repair you want to know about and I'll plan work around it .Anyone genuinely interested P.M. me.
    Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Sounds interesting, Junkyard. Are you located in Cork? It might be a bit of a stretch for me to make it down there.

Fair play to you giving your time like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm in co. Cork DS, I've no problem giving up my time as its quiet at that time of year for me and if it means keeping a few more classics on the road all the better. If I get enough interest I might run it for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Hi Junkyard, sent a pm, I'd like to learn a bit on welding, filling and general touch up. Would it be a thing of actually bringing the car down, love to get an unbiased opinion on what needs doing on mine plus it could be a pleasant drive if I brought a cushion:D

I have no problem if people want to bring there own cars, I might be able to do a demo on one of two of the cars but I'll probably have a "patient" on hand with a bit more terminal trouble so ye can see what to do in similar cases. It will be fairly messy so be prepared.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Credit where credit's due, that's extremely decent of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

i was only thinkin the same :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Id be interested in it too - I don't know where to start with my scirocco. Again I am interested in the welding and metal replacement aspect of it as well as rust protection and painting preparation. :D

Just for the record, I'm not charging for this, I have no ulterior motives i.e trying to sell stuff etc., its just me offering to help out other enthusiasts.:) I'm not guaranteeing I'll get to work on everyones car I'll pick a car or two at random but fair and square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Fair play Junkyard but TBH I wouldn't have a problem throwing a few bob your way. Personally and lessons aside, it would be worth it to me just to have an opinion on whats needed doing on mine.I recently went to a bloke who quoted me 2 grand + for a paint job. The + was if any metal needed replacing. I have rust bubbles on the bottom of the door and a little bit around the booth, but he made it sound as if the car was falling apart:eek: .An opinion without ulterior motives is worth paying for IMHO althougn free is good too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm interested Junkyard, I'm in the Motor Trade, and could do with learning more of the practical side. PM me when you've dates setup, and fair play to you! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Daxklynsmith

Extremely decent of you, Junkyard.
    Depending on when it is I would take leave and stay over in Cork so would appreciate any recommendation on a B&B
    So, Yes Please!!!
    Dax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I doubt that I'd get a pass to go play with a welder for the day.Damn shame, but there's too much else on.

It's going to be the last week of July, I'll check B&B locally for anyone interested. I'll run it for a few days or a week depending on the interest. Some people have P.M.ed me expressing interest so now please P.M. me to confirm. I'm going to limit spaces to 6 as I think its about a right size to show people what to do. As I said already I've no problem with people bringing their own cars but I'm not guaranteeing I'll get to work on them but I will do a couple of demos on cars at random. I'll have a "Patient" car with a series of problems and I'll work around that. Its going to be hands on but I'll show ye what to do as I don't think talking about it all day is much help tbh. It's more than likely it will be a VW Beetle as the patient. So let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Hi Junkyard,
    I'd like to learn anything as I know nothing! Even a bit of basic mechanics as well would suit me.
    Would it matter if I couldn't make the full week?
    Any chance of you running this again later if I can't make this one?

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Mark me down too please junkyard. July 28 is my birthday, so you can do something to my car as a pressie; if I've actually sourced a classic by then, that is. :)

I'd be very interested in welding meself, I did a few days in a school workshop a good while back so it's all gone now; I reckon all I could do at this stage is spot welding, and not very well at that!

adam

Ok Gel and Ken P.M. me and I'll give ye more info. I have 6 people now and one on standby so I've a full house. Thanks for the interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Did this ever take place ..................??

Generous offer..............I'd love to take part !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I never even saw this thread before! :eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

MercMad wrote:
    Did this ever take place ..................??

Generous offer..............I'd love to take part !!

No it didn't - I think Junkyard had a lot of work on at the time and could not fit it in. Great idea though - id still be interested if it ever happens. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

Hey for those folks in Dublin, may be we can pool and find a pro around here for a weekend training session ?

• Advertisement

I'll try and organise something soon but to be honest when I was trying to sort it out last time the numbers fell as it didn't suit most of the people and I got swamped with work anyway. Let me know when it suits and I'll be sure to organise something.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

junkyard wrote:
    I'll try and organise something soon but to be honest when I was trying to sort it out last time the numbers fell as it didn't suit most of the people and I got swamped with work anyway. Let me know when it suits and I'll be sure to organise something.:)

OMG I missed this thread too. I don't have any "interesting" projects to do at the minute, other than repairing a big dent in the wing on my MX5

http://mx5ireland.com/gallery/gway06/STA70308.JPG
    and some rust spots on the sills

but I'd love to see some welding, and perhaps see how to do some localised paint/surface-rust repairs.

franksm wrote:
    OMG I missed this thread too. I don't have any "interesting" projects to do at the minute, other than repairing a big dent in the wing on my MX5

http://mx5ireland.com/gallery/gway06/STA70308.JPG
    and some rust spots on the sills

but I'd love to see some welding, and perhaps see how to do some localised paint/surface-rust repairs.

You can get spurious wings for MX5's quite cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

junkyard wrote:
    You can get spurious wings for MX5's quite cheaply.

Yeah - 90 STG I think. But I have been told that mine will pop out pretty well, with the minimum of filling required and hence the minimum of painting. I'd rather do that than risk having poorly matched paint (had the passenger door done a year ago after a roof tile wrecked it, and the match isn't great).

Mazda red paint is crap.

Anyway, if anyone's thinking of running a "tech day" in Dublin too, I'd be glad to help out - I can do some stuff, like electrical, oils, brakes and that. Except for drum brakes - work of the devil - adjusting them is like keyhole surgery in the pitch dark :eek:

I was over in the U.K. last week doing a course on paintless dent removal and airbag dent removal and I'd say the airbag system would work a treat on your wing. If you were nearer to me I'd give it a go.

Anybody up for a Waxoil weekend?? :) I am happy to share the dos and donts I have now learnt... :) Just need a suitable space that can be messed up a bit like... a junk yard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭alfarocks

Eric318 wrote:
    Anybody up for a Waxoil weekend?? :)

Now there's a phrase I though I'd never hear from a bloke :D:D

:D it is only about sharing the lubrication of cavities... :eek: the more the merrier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 goldenval

Good morning all. Is this forum still alive? I'm just joined ye to start restoring my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Miscreant

There are plenty of learned people on the forum. Start a new thread if you need to but you have just resurrected a 16-year-old one... which is a bit of a no-no around here.

There is also a Projects & Builds — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin' forum that you could post to if you are restoring something and would like to share. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement