Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is the Leaving Cert (so far) FAIR this year?

• 14-06-2006 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wanted to get the general feelings on the rest of the country, so far Im really getting the feeling that they're ever so slightly trying to alter the course, as in testing the actual brains of what you know and not what you can learn off.

The institute seems to be fairly pissed of in a lot of the reports in the paper, but should they have the right to decide what should and shouldnt be on a leaving cert, just becasue its not in their notes.

So far im finding this year pretty balanced all round. English was a God-send and im pretty sure most of you would agree with me on paper 2, Bishop, Hardy, Longey, all modern poets. Perhaps a difficulty in the levels of Maths was used a compensator on that account, unfair or fair? Even ordinary Maths seemed to throw up some odd think outside the boxes that really tests our knowledge of what we know and thinking around it, cant they do this sort of thing?

Todays Biology was no by the book exam, thinking through experiments with precison and concentrating on specific aspects in ecology. Perhaps this years leaving cert is a slight milestone in what was once an institute ridden world, where answers were already learnt off and on paper before were even in the exam hall. Isnt this a good way to go? Besides anyone looking to repeat next year could be relieved by the ever so slight decrease in college points.. what with the mathematics department taking a hit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

didnt notice any difference tbh, no point in comparing years.... just get on with it. nobody can change the past, we can just learn from it.

im finished 5 exams after tomorrow so tbh i dont give a toss what happens to them in the future as it won't effect me. :cool: i'd imagine thats the general consensus.

Smemon.I love your posts.You remind me of myself before i succumbed to alcoholism in uni!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Only Maths p2 was remotely tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DiscoMouse

You didn't have that Maths Tim, you don't know... *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Biology was the only ''unfair'' paper so far, mainly because i hadnt a clue what was goin on!!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Kinda glad the people at the institute are fairly pissed. They didn buy their grades this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

NADA wrote:
    Kinda glad the people at the institute are fairly pissed. They didn buy their grades this year.

Why does the tute' bother you so much? If people need help to do well, and there putting the effort in by trying their best, whats wrong with that? Not everyone can get 510 in mocks by studying at home :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

TiM_rEAPeR wrote:
    Hey guys, just wanted to get the general feelings on the rest of the country, so far Im really getting the feeling that they're ever so slightly trying to alter the course, as in testing the actual brains of what you know and not what you can learn off.

The institute seems to be fairly pissed of in a lot of the reports in the paper, but should they have the right to decide what should and shouldnt be on a leaving cert, just becasue its not in their notes.

So far im finding this year pretty balanced all round. English was a God-send and im pretty sure most of you would agree with me on paper 2, Bishop, Hardy, Longey, all modern poets. Perhaps a difficulty in the levels of Maths was used a compensator on that account, unfair or fair? Even ordinary Maths seemed to throw up some odd think outside the boxes that really tests our knowledge of what we know and thinking around it, cant they do this sort of thing?

Todays Biology was no by the book exam, thinking through experiments with precison and concentrating on specific aspects in ecology. Perhaps this years leaving cert is a slight milestone in what was once an institute ridden world, where answers were already learnt off and on paper before were even in the exam hall. Isnt this a good way to go? Besides anyone looking to repeat next year could be relieved by the ever so slight decrease in college points.. what with the mathematics department taking a hit.

They would not make one exam more difficult to compensate for another,that would be stupid and would mean the department were even more of a joke.
    If you'd seen our trignomatry question,you would've looked at itin disbelief.I have never,ever seen anything about asymtopes in trignometry,in my book or exam papers.Nor have I seen anything like any of that part (a) actually...And its not just the institute that are annoyed with the paper,its just about every teacher in the country.As far as I know,some of the things asked were not even on the syllabus

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

So far they're all grand with the exception of Maths, I'm brutal at Maths and I found my pre harder (OL).
    The only other thing I'd say is cutting down the Irish poetry course a bit (got up at 3am just to go through notes!!) and maybe adding 20mins onto Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I think it's easier this year maybe because I had an extra year to study.

The English paper was great
    Didn't like pass Irish
    Geography and Biology were fine
    Business was pretty easy

Nothing shocking YET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

They complain about honours Maths every year without fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Why does the tute' bother you so much? If people need help to do well, and there putting the effort in by trying their best, whats wrong with that? Not everyone can get 510 in mocks by studying at home :rolleyes:

your a ****ing knob..i moved to the institute and it was NOTHING to do with grades..i wanted to skip fourth year

so shut ur trap u dickhead.if youve the money to pay for good education then DO IT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

NADA wrote:
    thats a bit bitchy. i go to the tute, we worked our asses off this year. the maths paper was a complete cow!
    i did the exams last year and this years has been far worse.
    ah well, onwards and upwards. have to study for ag. science, physics and chem. woo!

NADA wrote:

can't argue with that. bang on 100% right.

im sick of seeing their smiling faces in the papers every year with 550+ plus. hopefully the smiles will be wiped off their faces this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

smemon wrote:

im sick of seeing their smiling faces in the papers every year with 550+ plus. hopefully the smiles will be wiped off their faces this year :)

So,what? They shouldn't be happy if they get high points? I don't go to the Institute, but I worked really hard this year, and if I get my course, I will be a happy little fat bastard. Stop stirring the ****.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

your a ****ing knob..i moved to the institute and it was NOTHING to do with grades..i wanted to skip fourth year

so shut ur trap u dickhead.if youve the money to pay for good education then DO IT!!

the insistute doesnt give you a good education it gives you good NOTES, don't mix those two words up girly, people might fall under the illusion that the place is somewhere to broaden your mind :cool:

the insistute doesnt give you a good education it gives you good NOTES, don't mix those two words up girly, people might fall under the illusion that the place is somewhere to broaden your mind :cool:
    i beg to differ. i went to a normal school last year and have been to the institute too. the institute was far superior. the teachers are fantastic.
    unless u have been to the institute you cant judge. and your just being ignorant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

They give good notes AND a good education..as you said the teachers are exellent and really helpful..
    Many people will fail the leaving cert from the institute its just not broadcasted in the paper.As said before despite the good notes and teachers we still do work..if you dont you fail.simple as,what school your in doesnt really matter if your not gonna work.

i concur

nedward wrote:
    So,what? They shouldn't be happy if they get high points? I don't go to the Institute, but I worked really hard this year, and if I get my course, I will be a happy little fat bastard. Stop stirring the ****.

:D it's insulting to those that got the same points down the country in cavan or somewhere and get no recognition whatsoever despite going to a non-fee paying school and getting no grinds.

i worked hard too - i won't be jumping up and down screaming when i open my envelope :rolleyes: if someone wants a picture of me to put in a paper, i'll tell them where to go. there are people who've worked a hell of a lot harder than me and they may only end up with 200 points.

they're the guys who deserve recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

So true. I know a fella who worked his ass off last year but still fell about 50 points short of what he wanted. So he is repeating this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Fantastic. Banned in the middle of exams.

Anyway, this rubbish about people buying their grades by going to the institute has to stop, its absolute crap. I went to the institute for 5th and 6th year, and yes, it helped me no ends in getting good marks in the LC, but i in no way bought my grades. I worked bloody hard for the entire 6th year and know of a lot of students who attended the same classes as i did, got the same notes as i did and yet didn't do well in the exams at all.
    I think a lot of people are bitter seeing such a large amount of people do well in exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Wait, what? that comment was for NADA, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with people going to the tute', I wish I had went, and fair play to them, cause they can put just as much hard work into there exams as anyone else. You read my post entirely wrong, and I hope you feel stupid for getting banned by over-reacting to something you didnt understand. Now let me make my point again, I was aiming my post at nada, cause he believes the tut'e is silly money, however I dont, If someone wants o get grinds etc to do well, thats fine, I get grinds and am happy cause It helped me do better, and cope more with the stress. :) And I agree with TimaY here, in that people (like NADA sugested) that believe "buying grades" is an easy way out, it certainly isnt, people get grinds, and work hard cause they wanna do well - it's that simple. Not everyone can work off there own back, but it doesn't make them anymore, or any less intelligent than someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Agree with TimAy. I will probably be competing with grind school veterans for my course, but there's no truth in the statement that they didin't deserve their grades. They got the best teaching money could buy, worked hard and took advantage of it.

TimAy wrote:
    I went to the institute for 5th and 6th year, and yes, it helped me no ends in getting good marks in the LC, but i in no way bought my grades. I worked bloody hard for the entire 6th year and know of a lot of students who attended the same classes as i did, got the same notes as i did and yet didn't do well in the exams at all.

but surely by paying to get that help when you could have had it for free doesnt make sense?

i can't understand it how people from fee-paying schools say that they are hard workers and don't buy their success yet praise the college and say they couldnt have gotten a better education anywhere else, surely a contradiction.

you walk into an exam with your brain and a pen - in that respect the whole country is equal, no problem.

however in a fee paying school, from what i gather, you get more attention (smaller classes), less distractions and teachers with a wealth of experience who have churned out hundreds of A1's. so lets say Johnny 1 goes to the institute.

Johnny 2 however, goes to a public school down in cavan. his classes are huge in number and he's in with a bunch of farmers who have no intention of working. The teachers aren't used to A1 students and so can't give the same notes as one in the institute could. Johnny 2 is just a good a worker as Johnny 1 but doesnt have the surroundings/ people around him to boost his marks.

now imo, even though the two johnny's (:D ) have the same intelligence and work-rate, johnny 1 stands a better chance at getting higher results. he's paid to get into that school so ultimately yes, he has bought his way into success, or certainly bought MORE success.

long, boring debate i know :) i should have better things to be at but i feel i have to defend people in public schools as imo they are at a disadvantage in comparason to fee paying schools. it's not sour grapes, even if i was a 600 pointer i'd still be taking up this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnPH

I think what pisses people off about places like the tute is that the whole points system is praised for treating everyone equally and gives everyone an equal chance. However without a doubt it does give you an advantage if you go to a fee paying school, which is unfair on those who don't.

But i really don't have anything against it. If your offered it why not take it .

JohnPH wrote:
    If your offered it why not take it .

because it's burning money ;) unless i won the lottery i wouldnt go to a fee paying school. i like mixing it with all classes of society - it doesnt give me a bubble to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 john22

The leaving cert in general is not a fair exam.
    Why dont we get a system that doesnt put so much stress on people and doesnt cram 3 years of work into 2 weeks of exams.
    Continuous assessment all the way. Thats a much better system.

At least they could give us a chance to repeat exams during summer if we failed as opposed to a year later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

pretyinpunk and helles belles!did not realise you were in the tute as well!:D I agre with yey!we did not buy are grades! I worked really hard this year! and by the way my biology teacher predicted that paper, my english teacher predicted that paper and oh for maths that graph yok for higher we were told to watch out for that!stop abusing the tute!dnt hate! Timmay dnt ban prettyin punk - ahh let her back in :D cum on fellow tute head :D

Back to topic

Fair LC?no!! History was a joke today - such a bad paper - not well orgainised
    Irish (H) was not to bad - a bit too nice (that said I wish I had studied more!)
    Math (H) enuf to say it was a big poo
    English (H) nice &predictable - fair
    Bilogy (H) fair enough - really tested your ful knowledge of the course
    German - watch this space
    Chemistry - as above :D

my two cents on this smelly exam!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

im sick of seeing their smiling faces in the papers every year with 550+ plus. hopefully the smiles will be wiped off their faces this year

Dead right! Especially in Exambrief, happy perfect students smiling on results day with a caption saying "happiness is..." :rolleyes: That magazine is just one big ad for the 'tute don't you think?

Advertisement