Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

validating windows

• 14-06-2006 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Right, a while back, my computer broke and it had to be sent in to be repaired, in the process windows needed to be reinstalled.

Now a few weeks later microsoft are screaming at me that my copy of windows is not genuine and i need to validate it.

But i have my XP number here which proves it is genuine, is there anyway i can type it in to validate my windows cause everytime i click on microsofts get genuine bubble it sends me to microsoft to buy a new copy of windows.

But i have a valid copy and and just need to prove it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Check that the key in the registry is your key / valid.

If it is: validate on microsoft.com ; failing that: phone them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

where do i find the key in the registry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

cheers, seems the shop put in some random other cd key and i just gotta change it to mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

I would be surprised if it was that simple a solution though – the process is that the key is used to activate windows initially, and this generates 2 other files.

first problem you'll encounter is that your key, which is valid, is already registered as being used (by you previously in your previous install). second problem is these 2 files (windows\system32 = wpa.dbl & wpa.bak) are currently generated from the invalid key used by the shop on your current build. changing your key in the registry using some reg editing key changer wont fix these 2 files. In fact the program suggested by Karoma will only tell you what key the shop used, it wont let you change it to your key. and knowing what key the shop used wont help you one bit, since it is obviously a compromised key that is available from hacker sites on the internet. It’s a useful program but it wont help you here.

I am guessing that you don’t have the original XP CD that came with your PC? Usually when you buy a PC you get an image CD/DVD which contains an XP build tailored for your hardware. If you built your PC yourself it is a good idea to burn this immediately after installing the OS, but that advice is totally useless to you now I guess. If you had this CD/DVD, then just re-build your PC with it and no activation would be required, but failing that, all you can do is re-install XP from a normal XP CD, then when it prompts for activation – DO NOT activate with an invalid CD key (which the shop that repaired it did). Rather, phone Microsoft and ask them to allow you to use your CD key again (which should be on the side of your PC if it is a store bought one), you will have to explain that you are rebuilding due to hardware failure or something (if you were simply rebuilding your PC and wanted to avoid this whole rigmarole see this site):

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aaqtwinxp0829.htm

alternatively, you could bring your PC back to the shop where you got it repaired and ask them to rebuild for you (and phone MS and get your copy of XP reactivated validly this time), you can threaten to rat them out for using an invalid CD key if they dont, microsoft would be happy to hear about this Microsoft.com/howtotell

personally I don’t like the idea of squealing on them though, since this system seems to punish the innocent customers who have a valid licence more than the pirates so I wouldn’t like to work with it too much

• Advertisement

i'm tempted to just sit with this crappy star thing in the corner telling me its invalid instead of going through all of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It was a bit cheeky of them to install an invalid copy of windows on it without asking you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

From microsoft:

Use the Activation Wizard
    Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

If you have only a few volume licensing product keys to change, you can use the Activation Wizard.

Note Microsoft recommends that you run System Restore to create a new restore point before you follow these steps. For information about how to create a restore point by using System Restore, see the "To Create a Restore Point" help topic in Help and Support. 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
    4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
    5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
    6. Click Start, and then click Run.
    7. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK.
    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    8. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.
    9. Click Change Product key.
    10. Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.
    11. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message:
    Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.
    12. Click OK.

Your able to change the key in the wizard, this version applies to VLKs, but is the same in all windows.
    If you need to reactivate it should work.
    Failing that, ring up and explain. The same thing happened to me once but your key usually gets reset every 90days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sparky-s wrote:
    The same thing happened to me once but your key usually gets reset every 90days.

How do you mean reset? Do you mean by Microsoft or on the PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i'm tempted to just sit with this crappy star thing in the corner telling me its invalid instead of going through all of that...
    I would make the effort to fix this problem though. Its not just that you have an annoying star thing in the corner, you could miss out on some useful Microsoft Updates that are only available to validated customers (you will still get critical updates if you have Automatic Updates turned on but there are other beneficial updates you might want but that wont be that easy for you to get with an illegal version of windows).

However the advice from Sparky-s makes things a million times easier for you than the method i suggested - good one Sparky I didnt know that. I would follow his instructions, though I am pretty sure you will have to phone Microsoft and explain to them that you need to re-use your CD key due to having to re-build you PC (I dont know anything about the key being reset after 90 days?)

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I only heard the thing about the key being reset every 90days in a book.
    It was explaining the fact that if you genuinely installed windows multiple times IE, hardware problems, new harddrive, changes in hardware, in cases when you tried to activate it would refuse.

I suspect he used a pirated Volume Licence disk to install XP. You could end up having to reinstall your real copy as I dont know of any way that a Volume Licence can be converted to OEM or retail without a reinstall.

Go to Control Panel and open System. There, look for the product ID, it should be like this xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx. If the first two digits of the three digit section are 64, for example 640 or 642, then its a Volume Licence install.

You won't have any problem reactivating your genuine XP provided its the same hardware. But if its OEM you may still need to call them, this has happened a lot lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Right, a while back, my computer broke and it had to be sent in to be repaired, in the process windows needed to be reinstalled.

Now a few weeks later microsoft are screaming at me that my copy of windows is not genuine and i need to validate it.

But i have my XP number here which proves it is genuine, is there anyway i can type it in to validate my windows cause everytime i click on microsofts get genuine bubble it sends me to microsoft to buy a new copy of windows.

But i have a valid copy and and just need to prove it.

Seems a bit strange that whoever re-installed windows did this to you.... sounds to me like they didnt know what they were doing as the step to validate windows is so simple ( and yet so important ), and why they didnt build it with your existing key we can only guess !

I just found a solution. :)

Download this tool from Microsoft and it should allow you to enter your real product key.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

I tried it today and it successfully converted a Volume Licence copy to a retail copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

the key in my registry isn't vaild. what should i do?

X-SL wrote:
    Sorry but I think you'll need to be a bit more specific.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

X-SL wrote:
    Use the key on your COA / license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

I had this issue with XP MCE , my hard drive died , on installing my copy of MCE on a new drive it refused to activate and called my copy a counterfeit.

First off ,
    The key being mentioned by microsoft is the validation key and is not the serial number found on your sticker , it is a randomly generated 25+ digit key which is unique to each install and only works once. Should any part fail on you ( hard drive , etc . ) that causes you to re-format and re-install , you will have to ring microsoft to get a new key.

Second off ,
    The microsoft WGA tool is Forced on to your computer by describing itself as a critical security update which it is not ,
    The software rings home , every day , giving microsoft who knows what info on your PC.
    Microsoft say its only validation info , but do you trust microsoft ? They most certainly dont trust you !! The mere fact that they coded up something like WGA means they say you are a thief unless you can prove otherwise , and they want their software on your property ( PC ) to prove that you are honest !!

The above actions classify the WGA tool as Spyware , end of story , and it should be removed from your PC. You should not stand for this kind of behavior from any Vendor/Supplier , it is an affront to your rights as a consumer.

Here are some links ,
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/22/wga_remove/
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1991684208;fp;16;fpid;0
    http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3615981

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

andy1249 wrote:
    Microsoft say its only validation info , but do you trust microsoft ? They most certainly dont trust you !! The mere fact that they coded up something like WGA means they say you are a thief unless you can prove otherwise , and they want their software on your property ( PC ) to prove that you are honest !!
    Why should they trust us ?
    Most people who have used microsoft software prior to activation have probably broken the licensing agreement at some stage. Before activation their complete lack of any copy protection mechanism and lack of prosecutions of casual copying more or less made it ineveiatible that a huge section of windows users engaged in illegal activities. The reason they don't trust us is that they led us down the garden path, and are now saying GOTCHA !

Like our traffic regulations, people ignore those that aren't enforced. Imagine the guards stopping all cars on the M50 tomorrow and telling those without a full license to get out and walk !

Oh and don't forget that other critical update that removed a swastika from a font
    Or the one where they insisted that users patch office because they lost the court case - anyone know if they had to pay compensation in that one ?

Captain it sounds like you are coming out in favour of Microsoft here ,

The issue here is the false positives being generated , I have no pirated software in my house and resent being accused of having any ,

Imagine if everytime you walked into a shop to buy something you were made to turn out your pockets in case you stole something ,
    Imagine you were accused of stealing your own car every time you drove it ,

Well thats exactly what microsoft are doing ,
    In this country , and most other democratic countries , you are innocent until proven guilty , and any collection of proof by deceit is inadmissable !

Microsoft are a law unto themselves and are behaving like dictators , full stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A false positive would only occur if someone else has used your activation key or hardware has changed, in which case you may have to ring a freephone number, which will activate it for you.

Windows is one of the most pirated pieces of software in the world, so you can hardly blame MS for wanting to stop pirates (monopoly arguments aside).

Besides, Linux is free, and offers much of the same functionality.
    andy1249 wrote:
    Microsoft are a law unto themselves and are behaving like dictators , full stop

Any new piece of software which costs money has to be activated these days, i'm sure they will all occasionally generate false positives.

And a shop could quite easily have every customer searched on the way out, if they wanted to (as long as they didn't discriminate on who), it would be bad for business however.

Exactly the point lads , false positives only occur on reformatting and in hardware changes,

in my case a dead hard drive , in the case of anyone that owns a laptop , anytime you use the backup restore image ( a lot of laptops these days dont come with an XP disk , its an image on a hidden partition) ,

How could Microsoft be so stupid as to think that only in pirated software situations would a positive occur , clearly there are lots of instances that it happens , and this is an inconvenience and an insult to their genuine and honest customers ,
    if you are going to accuse anyone of being a thief you had better make sure its not your loyal customers ,

This is Microsoft at its most pig headed and stupid , treating your customers like criminals will definitely drive them to learn Linux and finally dump this unbelievably arrogant vendor !!

The sooner the better in my opinion.

I want out of Windows but for different reasons.

But false positives are also increasingly common in OEM installations. I can't count the amount of times I've had to call Microsoft to reactivate a reformatted OEM system. The most recent was a Packard Bell system earlier this month. The computer was exactly the same as delivered, yet the activation reported an "Invalid product key." Yet when you call them and go through their usual rigmoroll of "has this been installed on more than one pc?" they give you the release code! Hardly an invalid product key now is it?

andy1249 wrote:
    Exactly the point lads , false positives only occur on reformatting and in hardware changes,

in my case a dead hard drive , in the case of anyone that owns a laptop , anytime you use the backup restore image ( a lot of laptops these days dont come with an XP disk , its an image on a hidden partition) ,

How could Microsoft be so stupid as to think that only in pirated software situations would a positive occur , clearly there are lots of instances that it happens , and this is an inconvenience and an insult to their genuine and honest customers ,
    if you are going to accuse anyone of being a thief you had better make sure its not your loyal customers ,

This is Microsoft at its most pig headed and stupid , treating your customers like criminals will definitely drive them to learn Linux and finally dump this unbelievably arrogant vendor !!

The sooner the better in my opinion.

Why exactly aren't you already using Linux then? If software is free, then problems like the above don't happen. If however the software is not free, then the company will use whatever means they can to ensure that it can only be genuinely used. If the system gets too pervasive, then eventually people stop using the software, but clearly it is not at that level, where you, who complain about it so much, still use it?

Like it or not microsoft have 90% of the market , a position it abuses on a regular basis , you only have to look at its past and ongoing anti trust record to see that ,

If you use a computer today then microsoft is a part of that , whether we like it or not , regardless of that fact , that is no reason to take the kind of abuse that it doles out to its customers , customers have rights too and should exercise them , that is the point here , if enough people make enough noise they will have to stop , look at the sony DRM farce if you need proof , ( another license checking system that primarily attacked honest users ).

WGA is spyware forced upon us by microsoft , Microsoft would be the first to encourage criminal proceedings against anyone it deemed was passing around spyware and yet here we are , with microsoft doing the same thing and conveniently calling it something else ,

How you or anyone can defend that position is beyond me !!

You have yet to explain why you still use Windows (or use win2k as thats WGA free), and that other companies besides MS also do this.

Also, DRM that rootkits the system, is going to be slightly different to WGA, had the Sony software being implemented such that it didn't use a rootkit, there would have been no public outcry at all, other media companies have being using schemes to stop CD's being copied for years, and still do (most games are copy protected).

The fact is that most media machines we use today are going to be protected in some way, PS3/X360 and the Wii will all stop users from playing 'backup' games without modification.

The fact is that schemes like WGA are here to stay for all non freeware software, from all software producers, you still have the choice not to use them.

Your side of the argument on how it is implemented is always going to be open to interpretation, but i've yet to be refused an activation key by Microsoft for any reinstallations I have made over the past 5 years of genuine copies of XP, and even seen by this thread is the fact that WGA caught a real attempt of a computer store using pirated software.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

To the OP, why not return your PC to the repairer and tell them you want a reinstall with your OEM for no charge, or you will take the matter to Microsoft. Better yet tell them you want it collected from your house and returned within a day.

Its understandable that there are a lot of users with invalid copies of windows but when you go to a repairer you should get genuine stuff. Just out of interest did they charge you for a copy of XP?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/28/microsoft_wga_patched/
    Microsoft has patched a controversial nagware update that "phoned home" every time Windows started. Redmond has also issued an advisory with instructions on how to remove the software.

As expected , A class action lawsuit is filed against microsoft because of the behaviour of WGA ,
    About time too ,
    It wont be open to interpretation much longer , it will soon be a matter of law , as with sony DRM

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060629160018237

• Advertisement

And some more ,

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/2775

Now thats an absolute classic , methinks someone in seattle is cleaning out their desk !!

Advertisement