Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF Am I getting broadband or not?

• 14-06-2006 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I just went through the whole sign up **** with eircom, passed their online line test only to then receive an email saying broadband is subject to line test. What the heck? If you pass the online test, what are your chances of passing the REAL test?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

That depends, As i passed the line test no problems " apparently " only to be told broadband was not available in my area. the online test you did means nothing really. Phone up and ask for a line test. aslo you need to be within 2.5km or the exchange ( maybe more )

If you can id suggest Ntl. their 6mb package is great. and a little birdie called ppc told me its at 10mb, only a test phase though.

But free 3 months broadband, 5€ a month for digital tv without movies or sport. cant go wrong really can ya

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 TriWannabe

how is the BB after 3 months free anti ?

sorry i did not make myself clear there.

Broadband is free with NTL for the first three months, thereafter you have to pay for it. free connection. free modem. free wireless router ( albeit netgear :( )
    and a free ntl contracted engineer to come to your house and set it up where ever you want.

hope that makes it more clear :)

i guess my question looks odd....what i meant was...........after 3 months, how much does the BB with NTL cost

well that depends on the package you go for, here ill show you

1mb is 19.99€ a month with a 2gb usage cap ( dont bother with this one )

2mb is 24.99€ a month with a 16gb usage cap

3mb is 29.99€ a month with a 30gb usage cap

6mb is 39.99€ a month with a 40gb usage cap

these are 12 months contracts btw. but you only pay for 9 of the 12 months.

• Advertisement

sorry but thats expensive compared to SMART.............3mb for 35 euro including phone line rental and unlimited download.

customer support is well worth it with ntl. plus ntl dont monitor caps. as im at about 250gb in 3 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

Guys,

I have the NTL and it works a treat great PING for online gaming. Eircom mucked me around like above so 2 weeks ago I got rid of the phone line completely and use VOIP so so €39.99 including phone line rental ain't bad

whats voip?

it means you use yorr internet connection as the phone line, from pc to pc is free. from pc to home/mobile is cheaper, have a loko at a program called skype. just google it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TriWannabe wrote:
    whats voip?

The long and short of it is you can buy a box that allows you to connect your normal phone to your router which allows you to make very cheap calls over the internet, also depending on the VoIP provider you go with you can bring your number with you. You don't need to buy such a box as you can use your PC to make/receieve calls but the box is handier.

So for example people could call you on 01 1234567 and the call would be routed over the internet, depending on which company you go with you may not even have to pay a monthly charge for this ability and instead you only pay for the calls you make.

For more info take a look at
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256682
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2679464&postcount=2

You can also use services like http://www.skype.com or http://www.gizmoproject.com/

Basically you could go with NTL and still keep your phone number but not have to pay Eircom line rental anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Must be nice being able to sign up with Smart or NTL. I enquired with both and they're not available in my area for broadband. I can't get a wireless connection either so I'm stuck going through Eircom and they're mucking me about big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

JJ wrote:
    Must be nice being able to sign up with Smart or NTL. I enquired with both and they're not available in my area for broadband. I can't get a wireless connection either so I'm stuck going through Eircom and they're mucking me about big time.

I found this useful for checking availabilty when moving into new house.

Gave some more obscure companies which gives you more options or confuses even further :confused:

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/bbinfo/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

Advertisement