Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

T72

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

smoke dispenser thing like a Chieftan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Yep - its a restored Chieftan tank. That one is in private hands - not part of the Defence Forces display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Morlar wrote: »
    Yep - its a restored Chieftan tank. That one is in private hands - not part of the Defence Forces display.
    In private hands, he must have some money. Does he have to have a fire arms permit for it ? :)

I think I seen this ( and maybe a Russian T something ) at the Toys 4 Big Boys exhibition in the RDS a year or two ago.

McArmalite wrote: »
    I think I seen this ( and maybe a Russian T something ) at the Toys 4 Big Boys exhibition in the RDS a year or two ago.

Yep that's the same one, there was a sign on it saying 'restored by Toys 4 Big Boys' painted on the side of it.

Not something you would want to leave the with the engine running & the keys in at the petrol station :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

There were actually 2 Chieftains and no T. The other one was pimped-up to represent T-50, T-72, T-80 or what it was, for one of the James Bond movies.

I was bit surprised when I've heard it, as some old T's are being sold for a scrap price.

There are some photos of Irish Militaria from Collins Barracks Museum here if anyone is interested ;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626380

& the full set of them are here ;
    http://militaria-archive.com/Collins%20Barracks%20Museum/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brian.mitchell

Hi Guys,

I have started up a website which focuses on Irelands involvement with UNIFIL. so far I have nearly 250 photos on the site, from 30 different Battalions. If you have any pictures you would like to see up on the site, or you would like to look through the pictures, have a look at http://www.unifil.ie

<snip> Post re-instated following Pm. Contact a Military mod if you want to publicize a site here, especially if you are not an established poster on the forum - Hagar <snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

heres a life-like wooden tank!!!

:)

wtank.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Photos from UNIFIL HERE.

For anyone who has served with unifil this is an interesting site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    pretty sure the second tank (if i am right in assuming these photos are from the UK?) is a Cromwell tank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur_tank
    Image:Cromwell-latrun-2.jpg

but i could be wrong.
    not with the senator windows van in the background lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Just back after a couple of days in China. Managed to snap these. They are gathering in Beijing for rehearsals, for the 60th anniversary of the People's Republic on October 1st.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And you didn't get done for espionage? Nice one..

I assume the MkVI is a static display?

NTM

Does anyone know what the bright, almost flourescent, blue camouflage pattern is for ? Is that for display /ceremonial purposes ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I believe it's Marines.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

wow digi cammo too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Me in the turret of a South Lebanese Army T55 MBT.

These things were in bits, but believe it or not - servicable!.

T55turret.jpg

Some pictures of todays military parade in Beijing. Alot of legs going on in some of them.

A couple more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the lads on Eithne don't like yachts?

3974470674_81cd809a7b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Ulsteryank

Alright guys, here's some cheesy ones from my Corps days.
    boot.jpg
    cap008-1.jpg
    new052.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

leincar wrote: »
    Some pictures of todays military parade in Beijing. Alot of legs going on in some of them.
    What's with the tanks painted in blue? Some say for mountains, but I can't think of anything that fits with bright blue? Unless Mao is intimidated by the smurfs, and wants to invade them?

=-=

Here's one from Weston Airfield, Leixlip. Unsure if it's flown or not, but if it was only a display model, I'd have thought it would be painted as in the usual "plane" sort of camo. The only reason I can think that it's painted as it is, is because it's flown currently...?

7FBCD0D9D8AA4DD09A9EDC118B92541C-800.jpg

No idea what it says in the picture under the cockpit: not enough zoom :( For those interested, it's parked within sight of the carpark, if you want a gawk at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

the_syco wrote: »
    What's with the tanks painted in blue?

Marines I think, although I still think its a stupid idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

the_syco wrote: »
    7FBCD0D9D8AA4DD09A9EDC118B92541C-800.jpg

Hi Syco thats Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B XV863 CN: B3-12-67 , She was RAF Lossiemouth's previous gate guard, a gulf veteran (nose art - 'Debbie, Sea Witch'). Removed from the gate where she had been on display since 1993 (complete with ALQ-101 ECM pod, LGB and Pave Spike pod), she has been replaced by a Tornado. Acquired by a private buyer, she was transported to Dublin in late August 2007 and then to Weston Aerodrome, where she was reassembled in short order.

Beside the skull and crossbones flag is the wording "Sky Pirates", on the opposite side is "Sea Witch Debbie" with debbie riding a broom. As you can see she still sports her "Desert Pink" Gulf War One scheme, and i believe is still capable of folding wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

;) Eye candy...ish

img3649o.jpg

img3640f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I saw about 20 leopard 2's, about 20 pumas and a few boxers this morning. Ill try and get a few pictures on the way home.

They were all loaded onto a train it looked pretty cool I must say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

An example of a well preserved Humber Pig armoured car

HumberPig.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Troops from 100th Infantry Battalion firing a Javelin Anti-Tank weapon in the 'Glen, whilst preparing for chad deployment.

0002d79d-674.jpg

Source : RTE website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Essential Piece of kit :D

Advertisement