Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options
  • 14-06-2006 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Anybody here play Doom?
    i mean
    doom
    doom 2
    doom 3
    doom the plutonia expirement
    or
    doom 3 ressurection of evil
    any id fans even

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasnt overly impressed with Doom 3 but the other dooms are fantastic. Doom 2 and the Final Doom packs are the best coop games ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Rerun my way through the doom games every 2 or so years (all the officials and usually a mod or 2, but not Doom3/RoE), theres some excellent mods out there if you want to play through them, best palce I have found to get Doom1/2 mods is Doom Underground.
    Here: http://games.moria.org.uk/doom/du/

I recommend the megawad's "Requiem" and "Hell Revealed", their the best that Ive tried, Hell Revealed2 is also not bad if you want more rampant killing, both Hell Revealed games have an insane amount of meanies, having 100 or more enemies on screen at once isnt uncommon, with Cyberdeamons and Spider Masterminds through the mix, these WAD's are HARD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

there's a badass TC out there for Doom3
    think it's called classic doom or somesuch... it's the Doom1 levels and gameplay(ish) with lush doom3 graphics. well worth checking out for fans of the older games (i'd almost go so far as to say it's the game Doom3 should have been...)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It is. I found it to be much more fun than doom3 itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

played the original doom and have it on the GBA, good for a laugh. DOOM3 wasn't the best FPS ever, in fact it was quite annoying how little ammo there was, I was always running out. Quake 4 is DOOM but with the gameplay that Raven brings to games, not overly impressed with ID. I'd recommend Quake 4 over DOOM 3 anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Played the original doom and doom 3, great stuff altogether :) *points and shoots at moving object* my kind of games.

tman wrote:
    there's a badass TC out there for Doom3
    think it's called classic doom or somesuch... it's the Doom1 levels and gameplay(ish) with lush doom3 graphics. well worth checking out for fans of the older games (i'd almost go so far as to say it's the game Doom3 should have been...)
    Classic Doom was pretty good, I played it ages ago though, and there was only 12 levels or so in it at the time, haev they finished all 32 yet? Hearing Slayer open up the music on the opening level was nice though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The original two Doom games are probably my favorite two games of all time. Although I have a hard time getting them working on my AMD64 laptop for some reason so haven't had a go in a while.

When you people play through them these days, do you use the fancy free-look (and jump if you want it) enabling upgrades or go purely old skool?

Personally I've gotten a little too used to used to a z-axis to play them without something like zDoom or Doomsday. There's also some great mods available to update textures and add Quake2 (maybe even quake3) style 3d-models. It's amazing how good a 12 year old game can look with the help of a few determined fans.

Doom3 was 'alright', but nothing special at all. Still haven't had a chance to see it running with the graphics to max, but the gameplay just wasn't anywhere near the fun (or terror) of Doom 1/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

After finishing DOOM3 (a dissapointment) I went back and tried DOOM 1 again. Unfortunately I couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes because it gave me severe headaches. I think it's a framerate or resolution thing because I remember getting headaches back in the bad old days playing DOOM on a 50MHz 486. My wife realised I was completely addicted to the game because I used to keep playing despite the headaches - even using all sorts of stupid tricks to try and eliminate them. These included playing with sunglasses over my normal corrective glasses and the best cure of all - playing with an eye patch over one eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mad Mike wrote:
    After finishing DOOM3 (a dissapointment) I went back and tried DOOM 1 again. Unfortunately I couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes because it gave me severe headaches. I think it's a framerate or resolution thing because I remember getting headaches back in the bad old days playing DOOM on a 50MHz 486. My wife realised I was completely addicted to the game because I used to keep playing despite the headaches - even using all sorts of stupid tricks to try and eliminate them. These included playing with sunglasses over my normal corrective glasses and the best cure of all - playing with an eye patch over one eye!

I used to do the sunglasses thing as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

I'm wearing sunglasses now weirdly! For no reason in particular though, just too lazy to take them off :o

OT:)
    I give Quake the odd go on the laptop, and even Doom on my iRiver for those arse pain journeys.
    Funny how it cost over a grand to do that years ago!

Ozzy wrote:
    Doom on my iRiver for those arse pain journeys.
    Really? How, and on which iRiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Goodshape wrote:
    Really? How, and on which iRiver?
    Sorry for the belated reply Goodshape.
    It's a fateful iriver h320, I think they're discontinued productionwise now.

I just installed the Rockbox bootloader and Rockbox (it's open source firmware for certain mp3 players)
    http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ManualRockboxInstall#iriver_jukeboxes

Then transferred the files found here - http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/PluginDoom
    or here - http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=36364
    to the appropriate directory.

The controls are a bit awkward with those crappy buttons - strafing whilst moving and shooting is bloody hard! - but it runs smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Pugsley wrote:
    Rerun my way through the doom games every 2 or so years (all the officials and usually a mod or 2, but not Doom3/RoE), theres some excellent mods out there if you want to play through them, best palce I have found to get Doom1/2 mods is Doom Underground.
    Here: http://games.moria.org.uk/doom/du/

I recommend the megawad's "Requiem" and "Hell Revealed", their the best that Ive tried, Hell Revealed2 is also not bad if you want more rampant killing, both Hell Revealed games have an insane amount of meanies, having 100 or more enemies on screen at once isnt uncommon, with Cyberdeamons and Spider Masterminds through the mix, these WAD's are HARD.
    I couldn't find a mirror that worked, you don't know another way I could get them do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

I think i must be the only one who liked the doom 3 and exp..granted it wasnt as good as the older ones but still was pretty good imo

Cool, my sisters got a H320 (H140 myself.. iriver ftw). Must hijack it for a while and see if I can get this working :D

kwalsh000 wrote:
    I think i must be the only one who liked the doom 3 and exp..granted it wasnt as good as the older ones but still was pretty good imo
    It was 'pretty good', but when you compare 'prety good' to 'best game ever', it's not that great. I'll play through Doom3 again when I get a PC that can run it at the max, just so I can be awed by the visuals. I'll play Doom 1/2 again tomorrow if I could, purely for the gaming experience.

Marts wrote:
    I couldn't find a mirror that worked, you don't know another way I could get them do you?
    Hell Revealed 1 and 2:
    ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/themes/hr

Memento Mori (prequel to Requiem):
    ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/themes/mm/

Requiem:
    ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/

Cant believe I forgot Memento Mori in my last post, hundreds of other real good WAD's on that server, but a lot of really bad ones too, recommend you check the reviews on Doom Underground before you try them.

Advertisement