Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to be sacked

• 14-06-2006 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm probably going to be fired today. Really down about this because I work hard and it's just things have exploded in my face now I'm so knackered.

How do you deal with being fired?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What happened??? Do you work for a big firm or a small company??? It's quite difficult to actually fire somone legally in this country nowadays...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Dont give them the chance, you should leave first, letter of resignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dont give them the chance, you should leave first, letter of resignation.

don't do this as it could effect your state entitlements, yes everyone wants to go out in a blaze of glory but in all honesty what does it prove, nothing

oh and there are other jobs out there, just start looking around even if you aren't fired today at least you would know what is on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Fired wrote:
    I'm probably going to be fired today.

What did you do? How long have you been with the company? Have you had written or verbal warnings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

F*** them all!!! You'l find something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

If it gonna happen there is little you can do.............apart from not letting them see that its getting to you. Chin up head held high act like it doesnt matter.
    Never let them see how much its getting to you
    Oh a know your rights too, citizens advice can help!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I was fired. Boss just thought I wasn't getting on as well as I should be. No need for wanings and such as I was still in my probation period. Everything was going well up until about a month ago it all turned to crap. A lot of stuff beyond my control went wrong. Boss asked me why I didn't come to him for help but it's kinda difficult to get help from somebody who spends four days a week on the golf course. He said I can stay on while I look for a new job and I can tell people I'm leaving of my own accord and he's given me a good reference too so it's not all bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

Fired wrote:
    Well I was fired. Boss just thought I wasn't getting on as well as I should be. No need for wanings and such as I was still in my probation period. Everything was going well up until about a month ago it all turned to crap. A lot of stuff beyond my control went wrong. Boss asked me why I didn't come to him for help but it's kinda difficult to get help from somebody who spends four days a week on the golf course. He said I can stay on while I look for a new job and I can tell people I'm leaving of my own accord and he's given me a good reference too so it's not all bad

Do you work in the public sector?

No. Large well known company though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Decent enough boss anyways. Bugger-all information about the situation though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

jsb wrote:
    don't do this as it could effect your state entitlements, yes everyone wants to go out in a blaze of glory but in all honesty what does it prove, nothing

oh and there are other jobs out there, just start looking around even if you aren't fired today at least you would know what is on the market

If you leave your job voluntarily and without just cause and wish to claim unemployment payments you may be disqualified for 9 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, but worst case scanrio. I walked out once and only got docked 3 weeks.

OP - Don't worry, part of life. Especially if it's in your probabtionary period, then technically you haven't been fired. Plenty of jobs out there anyway, to be honest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

fcuk em man, this is celtic tiger ireland. you'll be lucky to be employed for more than two years in a row soon enough anyway, job securitys a thing of the past (if you work in the private sector, in the public sector however its cushyness all round) so dont feel too bad. hell my place made everyone i work with redundant last year and were one of the top 50 companies in the country. its just the way things are going in the PAYE sector. sounds like you had a good job so since the reference your getting is good i reckon you'll get another one no problem and wont even be thinking of this at your new companies christmas do in 6 months :D

fcuk em man, this is celtic tiger ireland. you'll be lucky to be employed for more than two years in a row soon enough anyway, job securitys a thing of the past (if you work in the private sector, in the public sector however its cushyness all round) so dont feel too bad. hell my place made everyone i work with redundant last year and were one of the top 50 companies in the country. its just the way things are going in the PAYE sector. sounds like you had a good job so since the reference your getting is good i reckon you'll get another one no problem and wont even be thinking of this at your new companies christmas do in 6 months :D

Thanks for that... I sent off three CV's at lunch today and I've got an Interview Friday, another Tuesday and the third company said they'd give me a date tomorrow!!! So i'm a little happier now than I was earlier. Being honest I had a bit of cry in my car today and I haven't cried since I was a kid so not usually a softy.

Social Welfare isn't really a concern for me because luckily enough I have got a couple of fallback options, my previous employer would gladly take me back as I left on great terms and only left for something different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Hard luck butty,

Look, s*** happens. It happened to me a few times. The experience will stand to you. Although, naturally you will feel fairly down. The good thing is though, THE COUNTRY IS OVER FLOWING WITH JOBS

Maybe a case of "one door closes and another opens"

Keep the chin up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Good luck with it OP , hope one of your interviews work out for you. Oh, and ther eis no harm in crying! Gone are the days when men bottled up all their emotions and drove themselves demented keeping it all inside :) Summer is here life is good take your time and get somethig you will like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well OP, I was in a similar situation to you and got the boot. My boss gave me a good ref etc but on the day I was leaving he said to me

"Next time things start to go wrong, inform your boss! Doesn't matter where he is, call him, send an email, anything. Remember that part of your job responsibility is to keep your managers informed at all times. If you ever learn that lesson, then you're welcome back."

My new job is a completely different story, my bosses don't like hearing that things aren't going according to plan but are glad to be informed and perversely, give praise when the situation is sorted.

I've shown them that I can keep them informed and also that I can solve problems or recruit help when the problem is too big for me to handle. That's what they like. Lesson learned, keep it in mind in your new job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Happened to me in London about 4.5 years ago. I was hired to do one job and then put doing something I never applied for, and unsurprisingly, was utterly crap at. I hated it so much I was really happy to go, and as it happened I had a telephone call just minutes before I got sacked asking me could I start another job the next day so I called them back straight away and went straight to my new job the next day. The money was a couple of thousand less but it was a much nicer workplace and easy work and I stayed there for 6 weeks until my next job, which I really liked.

Advertisement