Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you key a car?

Options
  • 14-06-2006 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

I know there are threads here complainging about people keying / scratching cars delib (shoot them! no hang them! no hang them then shoot them!) but is there ever a case for venting your spleen on another persons car? I have often felt tempted (and resisted so far) to leave a 'note' on a car thats parked in a disabled spot (and no disabled card in the window)..... is ignorance a disability?
    As I have said, I have resisited so far, cause there is always the chance that it is a genuine disabled person but they have misplaced the card.

Would you key a car thats (illegally) parked in disabled zone? 49 votes

I would key it
    0% 0 votes
    Keying is for animals
    0% 0 votes
    Would leave note
    77% 38 votes
    Do nothing, but complain to collegues or on boards.ie
    22% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

To be honest its not really your place to enforce the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Under no circumstances would I key a car, it can be very expensive to fix. For instance, if somebody was parked in my spot in my apartment I'd block them in tp put them out, like they did to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How would you know it was illegally parked? It doesn't need a sticker AFAIK as the disabled person may be a passenger. There were discussions about this recently in the Irish Times where Dublin City COuncil wanted to change the system.
    Anyhow, why would you break the law in a bid to enforce it - you are not a garda, are you?.
    Lance: Still got your Malibu?
    Vincent: Aw, man. You know what some ****er did the other day?
    Lance: What?
    Vincent: ****ing keyed it.
    Lance: Oh, man, that's ****ed up.
    Vincent: Tell me about it. I had it in storage for three years, it was out for five days and some dickless piece of **** ****ed with it.
    Lance: They should be ****ing killed. No trial, no jury, straight to execution.
    Vincent: Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that asshole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it.
    Lance: What a ****er!
    Vincent: What's more chicken**** than ****ing with a man's automobile? I mean, don't **** with another man's vehicle.
    Lance: You don't do it.
    Vincent: It's just against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kbannon wrote:
    How would you know it was illegally parked? It doesn't need a sticker AFAIK as the disabled person may be a passenger.

Really?
    I thought the opposite was true! Even if the car was adapted for a disabled person, and the driver is in a wheelchair, I still thought they had to have a sticker?

In fact, I am fairly sure I heard of a guy who had broken both his legs in an industrial accident, and his wife parked in a disabled space, (they had no sticker), and the car was clamped. Even when they arrived back, he was in a wheelchair with both legs in casts, they wouldn;t remove the clamp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Love that Pulp fiction Quote, particularly the bit:

"It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it."

That is exactly how I feel when some azzhole puts a dent in my car in a carpark, especially those annoying door dinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kbannon wrote:
    How would you know it was illegally parked? It doesn't need a sticker AFAIK as the disabled person may be a passenger.

You must have the correct permit - otherwise it would be a free-for-all. Permits are issued by the Irish Wheelchair Assoc, AFAIK.

According to one of the articles, the IWA claim that some GPs are liberally interpreting the medical criteria

When I had a summer job in woodies, I parked my car in the public car park.

One evening there was a rant of a note left on my car telling me how bad my parking was and how inconsiderate to people with children it was.

The funny thing is my car was parked there all day she chose to park beside me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

My car has been keyed and it's probably the most annoying thing that can happen. I absolutely hate it and I don't think I'd ever do it to somebody else's car.

Whatever about public roads, I thought that there is nothing (legal) to stop people parking in disabled spots, they're there more as a courtesy than anything else? Even if the a cark park is jammers, I park a mile away from the shop rather than park in a disabled spot. Just the way I am I suppose.

IMO, anyone that doesn't require their use, shouldn't park in them. If they do, then I'm sure that karma will come into play somewhere down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I have no respect for people that fúck with other people's cars. Just pure hatred. There is never a good enough reason to key another person's car.

Judging by the poll results, I'm glad others here agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

No way would I key a car - such a knackery thing to do! The eejits in the Bray Town Council have allocated a few parking spaces as a disabled zone but didn't bother marking them properly - the symbols look like hieroglyphics sprayed by a 3yr old.

Me ma leaves notes on cars that just park-up in her parking space outside her house and go off up the town for the day. Always know there's gonne be trouble when mammy takes out the pen and paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ronoc wrote:

One evening there was a rant of a note left on my car telling me how bad my parking was and how inconsiderate to people with children it was.

How was your car parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Under no circumstances would I key a car, it can be very expensive to fix. For instance, if somebody was parked in my spot in my apartment I'd block them in tp put them out, like they did to me.

I did this once, I was working nights at the time and came home to find somebody had taken the last "private parking" spot. Blocked her in and came down an hour later, she was going mad saying she had called the gaurds. I said fine sure I'll hold on for them her and sat in my car, it was priceless and probably the wrong thing to do but still.

Wouldn't key a car tho' thats a right ****ter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

crosstownk wrote:
    You must have the correct permit - otherwise it would be a free-for-all. Permits are issued by the Irish Wheelchair Assoc, AFAIK.

And the Disabled Drivers Association, link - one thing to remember as has been pointed out, that it may be the passenger who is disabled or the driver may have any number of ailments that may not be obvious - e.g. respiratory illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I was in Tullamore last year, in O'Connor Square, and saw a young lady drive into a disabled car space. She then opened the glovebox, placed a disabled permit on the dashboard, got out of the car, locked the door, and walked away!

As she was walking away, I challenged her as to her right to park in the disabled space. After going a very bright red, she told me that a family member was disabled, hence the permit, and her right to park there. I disputed this right with her, and when I suggested going over to the copshop across the road to clarify this, she got back into her car, and left there fairly sharpish. Funny, my ears felt very red for some time afterwards!!

As far as I'm concerned, if she was collecting a disabled person, then fair enough. To me, it looked like she was toddling off to her favourite shops, and tough s*** if a genuine disabled driver needed to use this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

gyppo wrote:
    I was in Tullamore last year, in O'Connor Square, and saw a young lady drive into a disabled car space. She then opened the glovebox, placed a disabled permit on the dashboard, got out of the car, locked the door, and walked away!

As she was walking away, I challenged her as to her right to park in the disabled space. After going a very bright red, she told me that a family member was disabled, hence the permit, and her right to park there. I disputed this right with her, and when I suggested going over to the copshop across the road to clarify this, she got back into her car, and left there fairly sharpish. Funny, my ears felt very red for some time afterwards!!

As far as I'm concerned, if she was collecting a disabled person, then fair enough. To me, it looked like she was toddling off to her favourite shops, and tough s*** if a genuine disabled driver needed to use this space.

Fair enough that she didn't actually need the permit, but don't assume that everyone with a permit who can walk isn't disabled in another way - you may have been the one going bright red if she had told you she had an illness that fully justified a permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Anyone who keys a car is a c u n t .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I fully agree with you Eoin.
    It was the way that she did it that made me smell a rat. If she was genuine, why would she have the permit in the glovebox. It would be more logical to have the permit stuck to the window on a permanent basis, if she was genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I work in a shop that has a disabled space outside it and nothing grinds my gears more then biddy parking in it just cause it's close to the chemist door!!! Really, peoples ignorance puts years on me.:mad: It's such a regular occurance and If you do say it to anyone they get fairly angry at my CHEEK to question them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

ronoc wrote:

I dont know since I wasn't there, but I would tend to agree with someone making an issue out of crap parking, it is one of my major gripes about people when they park badly (and end up taking 2 spots for their car because of their own inability to park). I am not accusing you of doing this ronoc since like I say I was not there - but there are people who do this sort of selfish parking and it is really annoying so they do deserve to have a note on their car giving out when they get back.

However to get back on topic, I agree with everyone else, there is NEVER a reason for keying someones car, it is a cowardly thing to do. If you have a problem with someone you tell them to their face (or at least in a note if you cant be arsed waiting for them to show up), but if you are too chicken$hit to do that then go home and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

do people seriously consider keying cars that park in disabled spaces?

How stupid is that? what if the driver din't have the permit displayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ive never considered keying a car. Most of the time I feel sorry for some of the people who get their car keyed.
    TBH, only scum key cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Anyone who even considers keying a car needs a good kicking, if you have an issue with a person confront them, or report them to the garda's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No skangers here. Thread closed.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement