Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain vs Ukraine

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Who is the guy commentating on RTE?

Granted I'm only half-watching this match atm but I could have swore he has said some (if not all of the following)

1. called Ukraine "Kiev"

2. said Ukraine have no Champions League experience

3. He just said Fabregas will get his first taste of "World Club" experience?

Is this what I pay my licence fee for!! blah blah ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

get in there
    4-0

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ooooooooooh! Goal of the tournament that, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Torres, what a goal!

Feck the midfield, get in there Fergie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

goal of the world cup so far methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Definitely the move of the tournament so far, and a cracking finish.

Spain have been a joy to watch so far.

Pigman II wrote:

Hes just said the game is in the 98th minute. I think the heat is getting to him :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Was it just my imagination or did the ITV commentator really say Emilio Butragueno scored 4 goals in Spain's 6-1 win over Bulgaria in 98?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Spain are an awesome site, best team preformance of the wc so far.

They are playing like brazil.

Good to see both liverpool players alonso and garcia playing their part too.

Did he? He was probably thinking of 86 v Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He also consistantly mixed up the names, he has no idea who is playing where, or what they look like.

But sure he's fun :)

Great preformance from Spain, I think only two of their players played an average game which would be their left back Perriera(sp?) and Luis Garcia.

I think Spain's real strength is coming from their depth.
    No player would stop running towards the end cause they know they can be replaced instantly.

Pigman II wrote:
    Hes just said the game is in the 98th minute. I think the heat is getting to him :D

The guys is ridiculous, did you hear him for the penalty? Thick as a plank.

I opted for the awful Pleat on ITV, almost wish I went for RTE just for comedic value. What's his name?

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Did he? He was probably thinking of 86 v Denmark.

I don't see how anyone could confuse the two. Maybe I misheard him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

According to my google homepage:

Torres 80 min (Puyol)
    Villa 47 min (Xavi)
    Villa 16 min (Xavi)
    Alonso 12 min (Xavi)

Did Xavi really get a hattrick of assists?

Expect everyone to jump on the Spain to win the World Cup bandwaggon now. Hopefully the new found expectation won't get the better of the team. Still my tip outside Brazil.

eirebhoy wrote:

Torres 80 min (Puyol)
    Villa 47 min (Xavi)
    Villa 16 min (Xavi)
    Alonso 12 min (Xavi)

Well technically it should be Torres for the second Villa goal, he got the penalty.

Although really, the ref should get the assist on that one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Villa 47 min (Xavi)
    Villa 16 min (Xavi)
    Alonso 12 min (Xavi)

The Alonso goal was a corner which Xavi took.
    The 16 min Villa goal was a free kick, which Xavi won.
    The 47 min VIlla goal was a peno, which Torres won, from mb a pass from Xavi.

In conclusion, no :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Spain looked impressive alright,but i'm not convinced that they can go all the way.A better side wouldnt allow them to play at such a tempo and they were fortunate with reffing decisions.

3 goals from set pieces and 1 from open play but against 10 tired men.

Ukraine had 3 unlucky offsides of which Sheva would most likely have scored one,but that said,you cant argue with 4-0.

Villa or Torres could get top scorer,bearing in mind the two poor sides they have yet to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not such a bad bastard after all

Lou-iiis Garcia, he drinks sangria....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB wrote:
    Great preformance from Spain, I think only two of their players played an average game which would be their left back Perriera(sp?) and Luis Garcia.

what are u smoking, some anti-liverpool grass or something? garcia had a good game, one of his better games for spain, made some nice incisive passes

eirebhoy wrote:

Torres 80 min (Puyol)
    Villa 47 min (Xavi)
    Villa 16 min (Xavi)
    Alonso 12 min (Xavi)

Not the second Villa goal anyway, that was a penalty which was won by Torres. Villa's first goal was a free-kick, dunno who won the free though.
    PHB wrote:

I think Spain's real strength is coming from their depth.
    No player would stop running towards the end cause they know they can be replaced instantly.
    I'd agree with all that. You've a got a team when you replace 3 offensive players and still have Iniesta, Reyes and Joaquin sitting on the bench.

Spain and Italy look very similar so far. Same formation, both look to have a good blend of youth and experience, and both seem to have a good sense of unity and lots of desire to do well. Stuck £20 on them meeting in the final at 85-1, fingers crossed they can keep it up :)

kinaldo wrote:
    Expect everyone to jump on the Spain to win the World Cup bandwaggon now. Hopefully the new found expectation won't get the better of the team.

I reckon Spain will blow it as they always do. Just like always they're great at running up cricket scores against dishonest teams like Ukraine but just like always put up against anyone with a bit of class and they bottle it.

Anam wrote:
    Ukraine had 3 unlucky offsides of which Sheva would most likely have scored one,but that said,you cant argue with 4-0.
    Why not? :) As you said, Sheva would have scored, Spain shouldn't have had a peno and Ukraine should have played the match with 11 men. Of course you can argue with 4-0. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Why not? :) As you said, Sheva would have scored, Spain shouldn't have had a peno and Ukraine should have played the match with 11 men. Of course you can argue with 4-0. :)
    Fair point.Indeed if Sheva had scored we have no idea how Spain would cope when things arent going well fo them,it certainly could have been a different game but Spain always looked the better side.I'm definately not convinced they can do it against the big sides though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

kinaldo wrote:
    Expect everyone to jump on the Spain to win the World Cup bandwaggon now. Hopefully the new found expectation won't get the better of the team. Still my tip outside Brazil.
    I tiped them at about december. Now if only i can find where i posted it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A solid win for Spain. They would have won it even if the penalty was not given and the Ukranian defender was not sent off.

It remains to be seen how Spain will go on from here. Their achilles heel in prevoius WC's has been attitude and performance rather than ability. Today they showed they have the ability.

I have them as a final-8 team, which is:

Brazil, Argentina
    Italy, Holland, Spain, Czech R, England, France

(no shocks in that selection).

redspider

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Definitely the move of the tournament so far, and a cracking finish.

great run by puyol (sp?), if all spain's players play as well as this for the rest of the cup they have a great chance.
    although I always say that..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

el rabitos wrote:
    what are u smoking, some anti-liverpool grass or something? garcia had a good game, one of his better games for spain, made some nice incisive passes

exactly and he caused trouble at the near post for the alonso goal and for the villa one from the free kick (they looked for him from the corner again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

if garcia played like that for liverpool on a weekly basis i'd be a very happy man.

Garcia did alright but i would much sooner have Fabregas in the side.

Anam wrote:
    Garcia did alright but i would much sooner have Fabregas in the side.

Whats the deal with him having 'Cesc' on the back of his jersey, with about 18 inches between each letter too.

Not like Fabregas is a huge name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

redspider wrote:
    A solid win for Spain. They would have won it even if the penalty was not given and the Ukranian defender was not sent off.

It remains to be seen how Spain will go on from here. Their achilles heel in prevoius WC's has been attitude and performance rather than ability. Today they showed they have the ability.

I have them as a final-8 team, which is:

Brazil, Argentina
    Italy, Holland, Spain, Czech R, England, France

(no shocks in that selection).

redspider

Give you any odds against that - hint look at the groups they come from :D

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Whats the deal with him having 'Cesc' on the back of his jersey, with about 18 inches between each letter too.

Not like Fabregas is a huge name.
    I guess some players just prefer their nickname on it.Tevez of Argentina uses "Carlitos" afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Stephen Alkin - all over the kip for that game. When the peno was given he didnt have a clue what was going on, also in the first half he kept getting the names mixed up, didnt really matter as I was very pleased Spain won.

Hopefully now me mates will stop laughing at me for tipping Spain to win the tournament. I know its early days and ukraine were unlucky to lose by that much, but the whole Spanish squad look very hungry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yes Spain played some lovely football at times but Ukraine were very unlucky. The first two goals had a huge slice of luck associated with them and the penalty and sending was an absolute joke. Ukraine had some bad offside decisions against them as well.

4-0 was very flattering to Spain and I can still only see them reaching the quarter finals. I agree with whoever said Fabregas should start ahead of Luis Garcia. Garcia had an ok game with some good passes but still doesnt do enough for me.

Spain have overtaken Italy in the odds. I think people are getting carried away with this result considering the circumstances. They were excellent but I still don't see how they can be way behind Italy in the betting and overtake them on this match alone.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Spain have overtaken Italy in the odds. I think people are getting carried away with this result considering the circumstances. They were excellent but I still don't see how they can be way behind Italy in the betting and overtake them on this match alone.
    Yeah, odds of an Italy - Spain final just went from 85-1 to 38-1 on Betfair.

haha, forgot I had a bet on someone being sent off earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

TheMonster wrote:
    > Brazil, Argentina
    > Italy, Holland, Spain, Czech R, England, France
    Give you any odds against that - hint look at the groups they come from

True, Italy and Czech R and Brazil cant ALL be in the final 8 at the same time as E plays F at the final 16 stage. It all depends on which team gets the E1 slot between Italy and Czech R. And of course I 'forgot' Germany. The pairings are looking something like:

A1 Germany v B2 (Paraguay/Sweden)
    B1 England v A2 (Ecudaor?)

C1 Argentina v D2 (Mexico?)
    D1 Portugal v C2 (Holland/Ivory C)

E1 Italy v F2 (Croatia/Australia)
    F1 Brazil v E2 Czech R

G1 France v H2 Ukraine
    H1 Spain v G2 (CH, South Korea)

So that would make a top-8 of:
    > Brazil, Argentina
    > Italy/Czech R, Holland, Spain, Germany, England, France

I'll then predict that:
    Argentina will beat Germany
    Italy will beat France
    Holland will beat England
    Brazil will beat Spain

Looking like a Brazil v Argentina final.

But there has to be a couple of shocks (if not more) in this tournament though, and I would more than glad if my 'prediction' was wrong. England look as vulnerable as any of the big guns.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Spain will beat Brazil as they have better players in at least 7 of the 11 positions.

zabbo wrote:
    Spain will beat Brazil as they have better players in at least 7 of the 11 positions.
    You could say the same about England,its how they play as a team that matters.I think Brazil will go further than Spain if Ronaldo is on form.

Advertisement