Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking the cops

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

layke wrote:
    Just a note Brian, there is no way in hell can you stick to the speed limit and overtake. It's just not possible.

Oh, it's possible. It's just not pleasant. Ask anyone who drives a truck or a bus.

In general it's more trouble than it's worth. But sometimes it needs doing for sanity, like when stuck behind one of those muppets who drive at 70/80 on straights but brake down to 50kph at every slight bend or whenever a car approaches in the other direction.

Then there is the lottery of them being one of the assholes who speeds up when you try to overtake them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Skyuser wrote:
    They can go whatever speed they want, it aint a target speed.

So why would you fail your driving test if you drove the wole thing at 10kmph?

Traffic on a motorway should all be moving at 120kmph. needlessly crawling along the motorway at70kmph is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

BrianD3 wrote:
    What is it with people who are afraid of their sh1t to overtake Garda cars even if the cops are doing well under the speed limit and its perfectly safe and legal to overtake. Eg I was on a dual carriageway (100 km/h limit) the other day and there were a line of cars who refused to overtake a marked cop car dawdling along at 80 km/h in the inside lane. I overtook the lot of them and naturally there was no problem.

No problems overtaking cop cars, even on regular roads, if they are daudling. Just so long as you do it saftely.

I was cruising along in moderate traffic at about 80mph (limit 65) a few days ago, nothing passing me. Then I noticed a cop car quiet a ways back but gaining.... so though I might want to slacken off a bit, no point in drawing undue attention, so dropped down to 70+, still passing cars to my right.
    Cop drew alongside and kept on going, as did I.
    I figure if you are not doing something stupid there is no reason why they would bother you.

Now I'm not sure if they appreciate you passing them, even if both of you are under the limit, on the wrong side, nobody else does.:confused:

Advertisement