Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning/Building in Donegal

Options
  • 14-06-2006 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi!
    Would like to know if there are any self-builders from donegal here? We're just at the very beginning, i.e. looking for a reasonable site.

I'd like to get some recommendations for architects, contractors etc...

What are the planners like to deal with?

I'm sure I'll have be back later with plenty more questions - so thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

What area are you looking at? There are different planners for different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Hi murt i was in your situation until recently, i found auctioneers etc
    a complete waste of time when trying to find a site:(

By all means go to them they'll advise you where you have a reasonable chance of getting planning, you need to ask yourself will you qualify for the different types of zoning of land i recommend go to the council and chat about this.

in order to get your hands on a site you must go out and ask people
    directly have they got a site for sale. Pick an area that you want to live
    i recommend go to the county councils web page and search recent applications and make full use of their online map.

A bit unethical in know but ring up the people whose numbers accompany the application form (say search last 5years) for the most part people are willing to help out once you explain how you got their telephone number.

After a year of searching and waiting that's how i eventually got my site in a matter of weeks

Alternatively, ring up local architects and engineers again they'd have
    an idea of where sites are available

Hope it works out, a lot of it is luck

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

murt101 wrote:
    Hi!
    Would like to know if there are any self-builders from donegal here? We're just at the very beginning, i.e. looking for a reasonable site.

I'd like to get some recommendations for architects, contractors etc...

What are the planners like to deal with?

I'm sure I'll have be back later with plenty more questions - so thanks in advance!
    Like smashey says you will need to post up a bit more detail about what part of the county you propose to build. It is a big county and there are different planners, builders, architects etc located in various parts of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

From experience, plenty of sites available in Donegal.
    Let me know what area and I might be able to point you in the right direction..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

looking in the Inishowen area, east coast. Greencastle seems too expensive, but would love a view of the sea if at all possible.

I've made a list of architects from the goldenpages, but don't know what I should be looking for when i ring up. One guy told me all the houses around are fairly bog standard design! We want something a little different that would blend in well, maybe with stone fronting - not stick out like a sore thumb!

• Advertisement

Hi there,

For yourself and any others out there, we offer a garden design service. We can also help with soft landscaping drawings for planning permission.

We are located in Newtowncunningham, so are nice and handy for yourself in Inishowen!

Drop us a line if you need some help.

All the best

Gareth Austin
    <snip>
    I take it you didn't read the charter before posting that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

muffler wrote:
    I take it you didn't read the charter before posting that
    Fair enough if it was a gardening question, but the thread is about planning :rolleyes:

delly wrote:
    Fair enough if it was a gardening question, but the thread is about planning :rolleyes:
    It was the sig/ad I was actually referring to. You'd think a fellow Donegal man would know better ;)

Advertisement