Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TechTalk site

Options
  • 14-06-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all, im just after launching my TechTalk website.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any comments about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just joined! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

cheap shot at getting members

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

thanks py2006 :)

Ok Rollo; if you think its a cheapshot; how would you get visitors to a site that you cannot afford to advertise on sites and who ppl are not interested in a banner swap??

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ten euro a month can give you some adwordizing surely?

wah??? You mean a descent prize?? Ye i will through in a CD-ROM and a 6Gig Hard Drive aswell :D

• Advertisement

well i wouldn't post up a link to a forum when you're looking for a critique on a website for starters

fair enough... good point. I see what you mean.

But ive done it now lol.

What do you think of the layout Rollo?

Dave

Oh, as for comments, it's a bit too black for my liking. It's as black as priest's socks.

Black is the only colour i can really work with.

Would you refuse to join a forum because of its colours???

Dave

da4i's wrote:
    What do you think of the layout Rollo?

not much, i don't mean to be getting on your case but all you have done is install vbulletin and install a template from best-board.com which insn't a very nice template

i don't think there is much more to say really

• Advertisement

:( ive been dissed :( lol. If thats what you think fair enough. I will get another template... Im planning on making my own one soon. I just need to get used to things first.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

you might not refuse to join a forum, but you might find your eyes get tired trying to read a lot of white on black text and find yourself gravitating to other forums where it is easier to read the text.

Boards isn't that beautiful, but it is easy to read the posts with such neutral colours.

My 2c

misterq wrote:
    you might not refuse to join a forum, but you might find your eyes get tired trying to read a lot of white on black text and find yourself gravitating to other forums where it is easier to read the text.

Boards isn't that beautiful, but it is easy to read the posts with such neutral colours.

My 2c
    Now i understand. Thanks :) I dont think that black really hurts eyes though. Unless im a freak it doesnt hurt my eyes lol

da4i's wrote:
    :( ive been dissed :( lol. If thats what you think fair enough. I will get another template...

i'd wait for more feedback....

i gaurantee everyone will say the same thing. What the first person says other people mainly follow... We'll see lol:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

da4i's wrote:
    i gaurantee everyone will say the same thing. What the first person says other people mainly follow... We'll see lol:rolleyes:
    Nice.

Anyhoo, what I will say is that "Its all I can work with" is not an acceptable excuse. If you're serious about putting a site out, and can't design it properly, get someone who can. By all means, try away, but if you can't do anything people find appealing consider getting professional help.

da4i's wrote:
    Black is the only colour i can really work with.

Would you refuse to join a forum because of its colours???

Dave
    It's very possible yes.

ok im starting to understand where yez are coming from now.

I will try and get a nice different template :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The colour scheme is hard on the eyes. Why do so many forum templates insist on using awkward colour combinations?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hi Da4i,

I know lots of people on boards HATE anyone doing any sort of self promotion, but as long as its relevant I have absolutely no problem with it. Yes you definitely need to change the template, as simple as possible.

Its probably going to take a while to get going, starting is the hardest, but my advice is start with just a few broader catagory topics and redefine later.
    But what differentiates your site from all the other thousands of tech forums out there? Is it specifically Irish? Do you have any resources to add to the site? People usually post on forums to get answers and opinions from people in the know. If I had a question there are many other tech sites which would use... See what I mean? Work on getting somehting extra for your visitors. hope this helps

• Advertisement

Well despite all the comments; ive managed to get myself 25 members in 10 days since the launch of my http://irishtechtalk.com/ domain was set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Getting members is one thing.. keeping them active is another

I still don't think there is anything unique on your site that would make me sign up. I have 350 members on my forum but only about 25 are active at the moment, you will see a big drop off in activity. Approx only 15% of all members are retained imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

blacknight wrote:

Oh its heartache at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

at site is "OK". The only thing that would put me off is the logo :p

I still don't think there is anything unique on your site that would make me sign up. I have 350 members on my forum but only about 25 are active at the moment, you will see a big drop off in activity. Approx only 15% of all members are retained imo.

8 of my visitors are active practically everyday. another 3 are active every 2 days so dont say im not doing well.
    Deaddude wrote:
    at site is "OK". The only thing that would put me off is the logo :p
    Well then why dont you join?? Logo is only temp anyway
    blacknight wrote:
    Amazing the way most members keep returning.

you never do yourself any favours do you....
    i wonder how many members you will have after 6months?

you should aspire to techimo.com

I have to say your site doesnt have anythin anything better than mine and ur probs a hell of a lot older than me. If i can do this at my age now; keep an eye out for me wen im older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

da4i's wrote:
    I have to say your site doesnt have anythin anything better than mine and ur probs a hell of a lot older than me. If i can do this at my age now; keep an eye out for me wen im older

actually techimo.com has something you are sadly lacking - content

• Advertisement

any more personal attacks - and I dont care how offended you are - banned for a month!

Advertisement