Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TechTalk site

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

da4i's you better explain your previous post or I am handing out a banning

Who exactly is an "asshole"

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

i am sorry i just get affended when i put alot of work into somethin and its just thrown back at me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jaysis da4, no need to be so defensive, people are just giving you constructive criticism.

To try and lighten the tone, here's a great quote from Spinal Tap:

Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I dont care how offended you get - personal attacks are a big Neddy no-no.

My advice - apologise right now (directly to the user you called an a--hole), and I will let it slide

As for getting content - there is plenty of information out there - from rss feeds from the bbc to other tech sites over in the states - you could use them for some nice free and relevant content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

1) The dark skin is awful. Lose it.

2) There are way too many boards for such a small user base. Get rid of some of them, and let your users guide you as to whats needed. Otherwise you're just going to have a lot of empty/inactive boards.

2.1) Lose the irrelevant boards like you FS section, and the general chat. Are you trying to be a support site, or boardsie lite? Its a bit obvious where you're modeling after.

2.2) If you insist on keeping the OT stuff, at least move the general topic chat below the tech topics. It should be a bonus for your other users, not the overall focus of the site.

3) Get content, and lots of it. If your board supports RSS robots for pulling headlines, use them. Don't rely on users to create content at the beginning, you'll have to submit as much as you can yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

3) Get content, and lots of it. If your board supports RSS robots for pulling headlines, use them. Don't rely on users to create content at the beginning, you'll have to submit as much as you can yourself.

As much as I hate the idea of using the RSS robots, I found I, myself had to use them, but they do not display on the frontpage as they would flood over the proper posts.

You do have to put a load of effort into your site to keep users attached.

It's no easy task.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I don't know sparky, da4i's obviously knows what is he doing. I have faith in him, wait till you see him in a few years when he is older. By god the pedigree of this chap is outstanding. A Ronaldo of the internet if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Yes black backgrounds are usually for arty sites trying to look mysterious and deep.
    The most popular sites have light backgrounds as they have found users prefer this, I can't think of any exception.

Fair play to you doing this as you're young, and don't be disheartened if people give criticism, any feedback may be a chance to learn and improve things, that's value for free and fair play to people for offering their views.

As a mod on your own site, mark what happened here. If someone makes a rude personal attack (playing the man rather than the ball), you need to warn them or the threads will descend into slagging matches between total strangers(!).

Discourse with IT people can sometimes be like playing snap with a nest of giant scorpions, and I'm slagging myself in that. I've mellowed somewhat with age, but don't expect all posters to be politically correct all the time. If it's to have value like boards you can't be a nazi as that will drive people away in short form.

Advertisement