Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun transportation and the Law

Options
  • 14-06-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Ok after reading about the Garda Checkpoint post I was wondering what is the Irish law on transporting guns in my car (when I am driving, I would never leave a gun in a parked car)

So does it have to be in the boot or if its in the car itself does it have o be in a case/slip.

(I know it makes sense to keep guns in a case but I keep mine in a slip laying across the back seat and am worried about the legality of this)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As far as I can tell, there isn't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ooooh ok,

The reason i don't put it in and out of the case is because it is a semi auto the barrel has to be taken off and doing this over and over and over introdues wear and tear that i don't get by putting the gun into a padded slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I always leave mine on the floor behind the front seats in a slip and its not that visible wanna be having a nose around the car through the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

There isnt any law on how a firearm must be transported.But common sense would suggest that you try and hide it/secure it from public view.Some cars dont have boots nowadays,so you might have a problem.I found a good security system for securing your gun if leaving the car is simply a good pair of handcuffs.Smith &Wesson do good ones.[Not the el cheapo sex shop type :D ]Run one cuff bar thru the trigger gaurd and the other thru a length of chain which you secure thru the car seat runner or other sturdy metal part of your car or whatever.They are tool steel so they will make work with a hacksaw or bolt cutters heavy going.
    Make sure you dont loose your key to them or you will have to call the Gaurds to come and open them.:eek:
    But then you cant be accused of not going to beyond all reasonable attempts to secure your firearm in a car or puiblic placve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

another example of an extreame when you yough hand cuff is on what holds on the trigger guard or how strong is is

• Advertisement

maglite wrote:
    another example of an extreame when you yough hand cuff is on what holds on the trigger guard or how strong is is

come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

trigger guard might come off easily with a yank??

A secure way might be to get plastic coated stell rope and loop it through the inside of the gun (bolt action) and secure it to something but if your in the car i dont see the need

if a gun is being left in a car for a long period of time or is often in the car then i would have thought a steel box would be the way to go not a full gun safe but something that you could fit into the boot so the gun (dismanteled?) could fit in and it was secured to the car but i mean thats a bit overboard

Personally i'd never leave a gun in the car unless i was also in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I was also stopped at a checkpoint over the weekend.
    I have a liftback car with the seats folded down (so one large space with the boot and back seats combined) In the back was 2 larsen traps and my 22LR & semi-auto shotgun fully visable.

The guard said "Morning", checked the Tax\Insurance.. "That's fine, and I like the look of that shotgun, have a good day" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

My shotgun won't fit into the boot (where I'd ideally like to keep it) unless it's dissassembled, like was said they get enough wear and tear without that so it'll stay in a locked hardcase with me in the car until somethings said about it :) I wouldn't ever feel comfortable having it out of mhy sight to be honest so I wouldn't leave it in the car unless I was there too.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I keep the bolt out of .22 in a belt pouch, rest of the rifle locked in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Myself and a mate of mine were out shooting about four weeks ago. We finishes about half ten and went back to the local that my mate owns by the way anyway we decided to bring the rifels in with us as i didnt want to leave it in the jeep while i was inside. anyway about half twelve two cops walked in we were the only ones there with two pints infront of us and thw sniper rifles with bipods on the counter. ya want to see the look on there faces:eek:
    They just said were you out late lads thirsty work all that walking!!!
    about time ya went home now aint it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

Have a look at this, reasonable recomendations and if one adhers to them it will mean that it is easier to get a firearms replacement in the event of theft from a car or the like.

Declan Keogh
    FLAG

Cheers FLAG there was some good infoe on there

"the fore end locking nut in the case of a semi-auto shotgun" for example had never even occured to me

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

i wonder if this is aloud?? well it would make it easier!

http://www.impactguns.com/store/098621027711.html

or maybe this one seing as most of you don't have m16s

http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-27800.html

Might be better off trying to get one of those US police cruiser riot shotgun locks,that are mounted on the dashboard.You would have to rip the dash out to get one of these out.OK,I know you cant proably mount it on your dash here.But it ASFIK it can be boot mounted as well.It has those weird offset tublar locks as well,so losing keys is not an option.

wait so you're saying that it can't be taken out of the car but the lock can be cut?

whupass wrote:
    wait so you're saying that it can't be taken out of the car but the lock can be cut?

Nope,the mounting bolts go so deep into the dash or the trunk that you would have to use a angle grinder to cut up the dash or the trunk to get this mechanism free.The locking mechanism that grips the gun is tool steel,very difficult to cut cleanly with either oxy acetelene or an angle grinder,you would proably destroy the gun first.The lock is what is called an offset tublar lock.Next time you are near a vending machine,or modern pay phone look for a little plate on the front with a recessed circle with little studs in it.That is a tublar lock.The keys are a small hollow tube with an outside bar running the length of the tube,and indents cut into the tube.The indents fit into the hollow circle and push in or allow out the tumblers so they allow the lock to be turned.Not exactly a key that can be reproduced at any key making bar in the local shopping centre.Those that clear it up abit?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Em gun broken behind two front seats with mr. sleeping bag wrapped round till i get where im going, sorry couldnt and wouldnt put it in the boot.... cartridges go in the boot though!!

Would you put your child in the boot??? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

maybe

gun goes in boot along with dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

maglite wrote:
    maybe

gun goes in boot along with dog

Im guessing the car you have doesnt have a fully enclosed boot, careful now the tree huggers will be on your case if your sticking your dog in the boot of a nissan primera or something LOL!

Might be better off trying to get one of those US police cruiser riot shotgun locks,that are mounted on the dashboard.You would have to rip the dash out to get one of these out.OK,I know you cant proably mount it on your dash here.But it ASFIK it can be boot mounted as well.It has those weird offset tublar locks as well,so losing keys is not an option.

se when you said "losing keys is not an OPTION" i read it as PROBLEM s i was just wondering why get this great thing if the lock can be picked or cut

Advertisement