Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mysql5 to SQLServer2003

Options
  • 14-06-2006 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Does anyone know how i can move my mySQL5 Schema and content to SQLServer2000? The client i use for SQLServer is enterprise manager and obviously as mysql5 is only out a while the client doesnt support the migration. mySQL and SQL server syntax is different so i cant just do a mySQLdump and the run the script on the server DB. Does anyone do this regularly and if so what is a handy way to do it?

If there is an open source tool or any other methods you' could recommend it'd be great.

cheers
    Gracehopper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I don't suppose you can migrate MYSQL 5 to a different DB type? Then import to SQLServer2000 from the other DB. I don't know if it will work, but it seems logical enough. MYSQL=>Oracle=>SQLServer2000...

*Edit*

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/mysql.mspx#ERHAE

MAY* be some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

these seem to do it
    http://www.convert-in.com/sql2mss.htm

never tired them though

I'm interested in why you are doing this though?
    What features in MSSQL2000 are you looking for that MySQL5 does not have?
    and why move to MS SQL 2000 you shold be looking at MS SQL2005
    If you are using MS SQL 2000 and its a new install don't forget to patch it. Current patch/service pack level is 4. SP3 is important and is it prevents a worm attacking your sql server

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

amen wrote:
    these seem to do it
    http://www.convert-in.com/sql2mss.htm

never tired them though

I'm interested in why you are doing this though?
    What features in MSSQL2000 are you looking for that MySQL5 does not have?
    and why move to MS SQL 2000 you shold be looking at MS SQL2005
    If you are using MS SQL 2000 and its a new install don't forget to patch it. Current patch/service pack level is 4. SP3 is important and is it prevents a worm attacking your sql server

Thanks for the reply & links. To answer your question i test locally with mySQL5 but we have a customer that uses SQLServer2000 so i want to have the Schema i used during testing for SQL Server also. I dont like SQL Server myself and find mySQL5 to be much better but its not my call you know yourself.
    Anyway thanks for the info. I'll try and get started

cheers
    Gracehopper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

To answer your question i test locally with mySQL5 but we have a customer that uses SQLServer2000 so i want to have the Schema i used during testing for SQL Server also
    so you are testing on mySQL5 but deploying to SQL Server 2000?
    I was going to write a long post about how wrong this is and why would you even contemplate doing this but then decided that its your project your life and if you want to spend hours trying for fix subtle differences between SQL implementations. Is your SQL embedded in your code?

Do I sound annoyed or resigned? I just spent half the day fixing a stupid database problem because someone couldn't be bothered to ask a simple question, someone else couldn't be bothered to do a quick a code review and finally the tester wasn't/didn't bother to test. All from a person who is a good programmer but a not a great db person. The world is littered by them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

amen wrote:
    All from a person who is a good programmer but a not a great db person. The world is littered by them

Tell me about it!

Nah its a fairly big customer and the implementation was last year so whats the point in upgrading their DB when everything hunky dory. Anyhoo i'm half way through at this stage. I decided to do the script table by table and manually doctor any syntax that SQLServer doesnt support.
    I think i was just himming and hawning about starting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement