Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Care

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Wondered if anyone would spot that..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Ref the splashing/sticking issues with wd50, I always find it handy to remove any excess oil after cleaning with a rag, thereby just leaving a very thin film of the oil, with no mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Agreed Civ,

I was always told that a "Film of oil" ..was what was left on the firearm after
    you wiped the oil off with a cloth .

It shouldn't be wet with oil..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

The end cap on the Beretta 391 should be cleaned and lubricated on a regular and frequent basis. The cap has a spring-backed plate that will seize up, making the end cap almost impossible to remove, if it is not kept clean and lubricated. It is a good idea to check the status of the end cap frequently by removing the cap and placing bottom of the cap on a hard flat surface and pressing down to feel that the plate moves.

Use the least amount of lubrication possible for operation. Find an oil container that will let you dispense oil exactly where you want it in small drops.

Clean the trigger group using canned air first and then a vigorous spray of cleaner. Important, FYI this happened to me the first time I cleaned the trigger group on a 391.. : Releasing the trigger on the Berettas will free up a pin that can become lost in the cleaning process. Keep the safety on - and - do not pull the trigger mechanism with the trigger. Apply two small drops of quality oil on trigger sear and the trigger spring. Leave the rest of the trigger group clean and dry.

Apply 2-3 drops behind the action rod or placed in the hole on the side of the action spring tube and two drops on the bolt rails and one small drop on all buttons. Small drops. Leave everything else on the receiver clean and dry.

Apply a light coat to outside surfaces and the contact between the bolt and the bolt carrier. A small drop on firing pin and the connecting rod pin and on each of the projections from the bolt and bolt carrier.

Test fire the gun after cleaning.

BTW there is conflicting information about where and how much lubrication should be used in autoloading shotguns. Some shooters favor a light coat of oil in the gas system, but the makers say leave it dry and oil the other moving parts.

One thing is clear... Oil in excess is a magnet for dust and debris.

Advertisement