Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biz

Options
  • 14-06-2006 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

How'd ya get on? Though it was fair enough myself. Got a bit mixed up with a few of the short questions, but overall I'm not worried at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I once again got caught out by the very blurry line between management skills/characteristics and leadership characteristics.

My ABQ went rather poorly as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

grimloch wrote:
    I once again got caught out by the very blurry line between management skills/characteristics and leadership characteristics.

My ABQ went rather poorly as a result.

I though leadership was a managment activity too? I dunno, I can't even remember what I wrote! I was in robot mode for 2 hrs 45 mins, churning out the crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I thought that was such an easy paper, relatively speaking. The only problem was getting everything written, which I managed by sacrificing my hand before this history exam. ABQ was tricky enough, but some of the short questions were ridiculously easy for the bluffers. "Define management." (!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

ye short q's were simple..the abq was preety easy as well...as managing activitys are planning organising and controlling and not leadership,motivating,and communication..but only got three of four long questions done at end so losing 60 marks straightr away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I dunno, that question about management strategies for adapting to chance was a bit iffy. I waffled on about changing from controller to facilitator manager, TQM, making change a 'focus' and quality circles. It's decent enough material but I reckon the examiners will be looking for waffle. Other than that I managed to do Q5 in about 15-20 minutes at the end, which was impressive. Time was a bigger factor than I expected, possibly because the long questions were so easy if you knew them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

planning, organising, control my friends :) the 3 managemnet activities.

nailed the ABQ. wrote 4 pages. near full marks. i'll say 70.

short questions were tricky but again i got at least 70.

for the 60 markers i done the report, the profit/loss analysis and can't remember the rest. i'd say out of 240 i got at least 180 which means, i, my friends, have got a minimum of 80% :D

it's just too easy... wrote 13 pages + the booklet short q's in 3 hours. *blows smoke off top of pen*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i did 11 pages... i'd say ill get 65+

smemon wrote:
    planning, organising, control my friends :) the 3 managemnet activities.

****. Motivation, leadership, planning and control I wrote about. meh.

I wrote 11 pages of small writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Im in the same boat as smemon, only Im not an arrogant c*nt....

It was really easy - the ABQ was all about facilitating change. I happened to look over that last night. Spent a lot of time studying the changing role of management but it never came up, so was slightly p!ssed about that...

But short questions were handy too, and the long questions were childs play, especially the report.

I did Part 1, Question 1, and Part 2, Questions 4, 5 & 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Conor h

I wrote 20 pages.Thought it was grand.Hopefully did enough to get some sort of A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I was suprised that Price and Promotion were asked in part C of the ABQ. I didn't really know what to write after I described what they meant. I couldn't relate it to the text either so I'd say a lost marks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

How many pages are in a booklet cos thats how many pages I wrote?? Paper was fine.. I really liked it.. Kinda ran out of time at the end though.. If you knew your stuff like you could write so much. Twas how to know when to stop was the problem with some of the questions. Short questions were fine.. Although, I didn't like the one about the Debt Equity.. couldn't fully remember how to do it! I was in such a panic last night.. felt like I couldn't remember anything.. Then I opened the paper this morning and twas like... aaahhhh, thank God! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Wasn't happy with the timing, our supervisor was late so we started like 5mins late, which were so crucial, short qs were ok, got about 70/80 at least.
    ABQ was grand although I was one of very few who didn't mind it, you really had to know your planning organising and controlling backwards like.
    Long Qs brought me down, got the entreprise skills mixed up with characteristics but got Maslow and 3management styles full marks so 60/80 there.
    Forgot about the report format and it's only half right(the format) and I was so stuck for time there it wasn't funny but everything I got down was correct anyway.
    Not too sure on my unfair dismissals bit but got most of it, contral and co-operative and competitive should be close to full marks.
    Went over the industry chapter last night!! Did very well on the part where u had to write on one and also the effects of inflation. Wasn't too sure on the part C and only got 1 point down cos the supervisor grabbed my paper off me!!!! Please God I got a B3 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

ThrownAway wrote:
    I was suprised that Price and Promotion were asked in part C of the ABQ. I didn't really know what to write after I described what they meant. I couldn't relate it to the text either so I'd say a lost marks there.

Same! wtf was that all about?! Apart from that it was grand!:)

Conor h wrote:
    I wrote 20 pages.Thought it was grand.Hopefully did enough to get some sort of A.

wtf? 20 A4 pages??

that's virtually impossible :p your talking nearly 7 pages an hour?? can't be done.

you must ether have big writing or else left big gaps or sketched big diagrams :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

smemon wrote:
    wtf? 20 A4 pages??

that's virtually impossible :p your talking nearly 7 pages an hour?? can't be done.

I think I wrote about 20 but I have very large writing indeed.

ThrownAway wrote:

i wrote about the differnet kinds of pricing eg cost plus, skimming etc and gave my advice as to which would be best for the business and gave reasons why.

for promotion i said discounts, special offers etc and again said how it would benefit the business.

Actually just thinking about it there again and another one of my weak points was the business plan. I didn't really know what to write because very little information was given. I forgot the headings too and it asked for five.
    I nearly died when I had one and a half questions to do and the superviser stood up and shouted through the hall ''FIVE MINUTES LEFT'' and about three seconds later he mumbled ''For ordinary level''. :D

smemon wrote:
    i wrote about the differnet kinds of pricing eg cost plus, skimming etc and gave my advice as to which would be best for the business and gave reasons why.

Ah **** completely forgot about that :mad: I wrote half a page for promotion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

For price I went on about niche markets, price penetration (which is in the test too) and for promotion I went on about advertising, special offers and linked it to price penetration aswell.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    wtf? 20 A4 pages??

Yeah it can. Friend of mine did 3 A4 pages in 10 mins before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

OctavarIan wrote:
    Yeah it can. Friend of mine did 3 A4 pages in 10 mins before.
    That must be with very big writing

ThrownAway wrote:
    Ah **** completely forgot about that :mad: I wrote half a page for promotion though.

:D glad to be the bearer of the bad news

never even thought of price skimming, cost plus etc then i looked through the paper in general, read a few other questions and that helped me step it up a few gears :) got me into business mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Timing.. I ran out of time, I figured the report would be nice to leave to the end, and done part 1, then realised the report, I didnt so much get a report done as jotted down points for each of the questions... o_____o''

ABQ, Short Questions and everything else went grand, I wrote way too much, I finished the answerbook with brief points on the last question. Fairly sure I passed it anyway. a few parts where a bit..waffled.. Art History, German and TG left.. bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Am I the only person that taught it was hard?

I ran out of time I only got 3 long questions done.

Glazun wrote:
    Timing.. I ran out of time, I figured the report would be nice to leave to the end, and done part 1, then realised the report, I didnt so much get a report done as jotted down points for each of the questions... o_____o''

yip, timing in business was the only subject i'd problems with. but thanks to my time management table which i did out on excel before the pre's, it wasn't a problem today :D

ah sure i mayswell post it up now, no good to me now really...

DonaldDuck wrote:
    That must be with very big writing

Nope. Normal sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

business was so sound! excepy 4 timin i was startin my las long question at 12:10! apart 4m dat it went cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

OctavarIan wrote:
    Nope. Normal sized.
    So your friend writes about 1000 words in 10minutes?100words a minute?Or a Word every 1.7 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mossay

ya know in the short Qs.... and you had to do debt/equity ratio.... did ya have to calculate the preference shares? my friend said to me u subtract the 2 "share" numbers given to get the preference shares. I can see preference shares in the formula in the book but i dunno.... I hate these post mortems

Advertisement