Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Problem!

Options
  • 14-06-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I brought a car from england and registered it in Ireland in August 2005, then passed the NCT. I thought the NCT was valid for two years, but I just got a letter in the post for telling me I have to NCT the car again this year? I just rang the customer support and they insisted that its counting from 98 so the car is due and nct in 2006. Has anyone else been in this situation? Surely my NCT is valid for two years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

I'd like to think you could just tell them to go screw themselves as your NCT disc isn't gonna be out 'til '07. Just sounds like beaurocratic BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

NCT = Another form of Taxation. When the NCT was been heralded as the next great thing, it was sold to us as a way of reducing road fatalities - Hasn't it done a good job!
    Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

I'd like to think you could just tell them to go screw themselves as your NCT disc isn't gonna be out 'til '07. Just sounds like beaurocratic BS.

Yeah its a complete scam. Really really annoying. I want to get it sorted though, and I am getting nowhere with their customer service. I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

It is unless it's been backdated.

Stupid I know.... but then Bertie would miss out on sticking his hand in your pocket to steal your hard earned cash.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well what date is your NCT disc valid till??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

They are right, you are wrong, open your wallet and tug your forelock - thems the rules and you better just pay up.

Or don't bother NCT'ing it for a few years and see how it feels to have an extra few bob in your pocket.

I've been posting here for a while now, I haven't NCT'd a car since 2001 and I have never been questioned about it, had a problem selling a car, had a problem taxing a car or lost any sleep over it.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

its a complete scam - same happened with me. The NCT is due in two years periods from the cars year of manufacture. So a car made in 2000 would first be due in 2004 I think, followed by 2006, 2008 etc ect.

Once you register the car though, you need to NCT it immediately, and its only valid until the next 'official' NCT is due. So I NCT'd mine in 2005 and need to do it again this year.

jonny24ie wrote:
    Well what date is your NCT disc valid till??

September 2007.

The NCT is complete joke.

kdevitt wrote:
    its a complete scam - same happened with me. The NCT is due in two years periods from the cars year of manufacture. So a car made in 2000 would first be due in 2004 I think, followed by 2006, 2008 etc ect.

Once you register the car though, you need to NCT it immediately, and its only valid until the next 'official' NCT is due. So I NCT'd mine in 2005 and need to do it again this year.

So what we really should have done is not bother ncting untill this year, then we wouldn't have had to do it two years in a row?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The NCT renewal date is based on the date of first registration of the car (in the OPs case this is when it was registered in the UK).
    The first test will be either on its 4th anniversary or if older than 4 years when imported then asap.
    Subsequent tests are on every 2nd anniversary of first registration.

Just ignore it toad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

toad wrote:
    September 2007.

The NCT is complete joke.

your disc is valid until then so you are not due a retest until then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kbannon wrote:
    Just ignore it toad!
    If I'm not mistaken though, the forthcoming Road Traffic Act 2006 will make it illegal not to have a valid NCT though, so you can't just leave it :(
    Happened to me too. I bought my Mirage (jap import) in October and NCT'd it, but because it's a 98 I had to pay the full whack again only 2 months ago.

It's an outright scam. If it was really aimed at safety it'd be valid from when the car is tested, not when it was originally manufactured/registered :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken though, the forthcoming Road Traffic Act 2006 will make it illegal not to have a valid NCT though, so you can't just leave it :(
    Happened to me too. I bought my Mirage (jap import) in October and NCT'd it, but because it's a 98 I had to pay the full whack again only 2 months ago.

It's an outright scam. If it was really aimed at safety it'd be valid from when the car is tested, not when it was originally manufactured/registered :mad:

But the OP has a cert stating that his car is road worthy until Sept '07 so he does have a valid NCT so he is fine. Ignore them, money stealing cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

All (used) cars that are imported have to be NCT'd immediately.
    Then they also have to be NCT, on its fourth 'birthday' and every second birthday thereafter.

So, If you import a car tomorrow that was first registered in august 2002, you will have to get an NCT tomorrow, and then another in August, as that is its fourth 'birthday'.

Although, the Disc issued tomorrow should only state that it is valid until august.

prospect - from http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/national_car_test.html
    Vehicles imported from Northern Ireland and abroad

Vehicles imported to Ireland from outside the State (including Northern Ireland) must also go through the NCT (once the vehicle is 4 years old or more). This applies even if the vehicle previously received an MOT or any other vehicle test abroad. NCT test certificates will be valid until the next test due date, after which the vehicle (if still in Ireland) must be tested again.

kbannon wrote:

That is pretty much what I said, isn't it?

the next line which you ommitted to quote reads:
    The NCT on these imported vehicles is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin.

kbannon wrote:

Great so I can now offically tell them to go fcuk themselves. Thanks for the link.

oops, posted in the wrong thread...:o

prospect wrote:
    That is pretty much what I said, isn't it?

the next line which you ommitted to quote reads:
    The NCT on these imported vehicles is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin.

yeah - sorry - yet again today I misread something - I had interpreted it that it was two years old.
    I need a holiday! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

jonny24ie wrote:
    your disc is valid until then so you are not due a retest until then!!
    Nice in theory but if the OP waits till Sept '07 they will NCT his car and give him a cert that expires in 2008. It'll cost the same either way...

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    yeah - sorry - yet again today I misread something - I had interpreted it that it was two years old.
    I need a holiday! :(

No worries, I'm just back from one myself.

Advertisement