Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Following you.

Options
  • 14-06-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Lo all, I had a rant about this in a thread before but it didn't go anywhere so I thought i'd ask everyone what they think of Garda following you and driving dangerously as they do.

Here is my example.

One random Wednesday night (1am) on my way back from town after dropping the girlfriend back to her apartment in Dame St. I was crossing Templeogue bridge and turned right up the Firhouse Road when I passed a Garda car with 4 coppers in it. I wasn't speeding, I checked my mirrors a little further up the road and I see them turning and coming up behind me at high speeds.

Now 2 seconds later I have FOG LIGHTS blinding me and they are 2 inches from my back bumper.
    Two senarios arise here : For a start I have lost total use of my mirrors in fact I had to move them so I won't be blinded. Secondly If I have to slam my brakes on at any given moment, they go straight into the back of me, I spin out and hit whoever I was trying to avoid.

Anyway I pulled into the curb and slowed down (trying to allow them to overtake me) then the blue light comes on. They pull me and start the usual bull**** excuse of asking me if I was drinking. I know it was an excuse because of the smirky body language the guard used. Anyway I demanded to be breathalized to make this go faster and put me in the clear. He didn't even test me...

He did a full tour of the car and when everything was working, Taxed, NCT'd and tyres were new they had to let me go.

So after that they followed me all the way home dispite having my home address.

This is bloody enraging and I am sick to death of it happening for NO reason I can think of. Why do they drive up your arse so close? I'm half tempted to pull over, get out and start screaming at the next one that does it. Possibly make a complaint against their driving. One problem i'm absolutely terrified that they will gang up on me (it's happened to people I know).

I fantasize about slamming the breaks next time and letting them rear-end me, but when it comes to court they will prolly just lie and i'll end up getting done for dangerous driving (+ i'd never get the cash back on the car).

Does anyone else get this crap happening to them? Can you do anything about it without giving your name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Presumably they were Tallaght guards given the area you were driving in....

Why didnt you put a call in to the Tallaght cop shop the next day and ask to speak to the superintendent?? These guys were plainly acting the bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Sizzler wrote:
    Presumably they were Tallaght guards given the area you were driving in....

Why didnt you put a call in to the Tallaght cop shop the next day and ask to speak to the superintendent?? These guys were plainly acting the bollix.
    OP wrote:
    One problem i'm absolutely terrified that they will gang up on me (it's happened to people I know)
    OP wrote:
    Can you do anything about it without giving your name?

I blame my grammar skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

layke wrote:
    Lo all, I had a rant about this in a thread before but it didn't go anywhere so I thought i'd ask everyone what they think of Garda following you and driving dangerously as they do.

Here is my example.

One random Wednesday night (1am) on my way back from town after dropping the girlfriend back to her apartment in Dame St. I was crossing Templeogue bridge and turned right up the Firhouse Road when I passed a Garda car with 4 coppers in it. I wasn't speeding, I checked my mirrors a little further up the road and I see them turning and coming up behind me at high speeds.

Now 2 seconds later I have FOG LIGHTS blinding me and they are 2 inches from my back bumper.
    Two senarios arise here : For a start I have lost total use of my mirrors in fact I had to move them so I won't be blinded. Secondly If I have to slam my brakes on at any given moment, they go straight into the back of me, I spin out and hit whoever I was trying to avoid.

Anyway I pulled into the curb and slowed down (trying to allow them to overtake me) then the blue light comes on. They pull me and start the usual bull**** excuse of asking me if I was drinking. I know it was an excuse because of the smirky body language the guard used. Anyway I demanded to be breathalized to make this go faster and put me in the clear. He didn't even test me...

He did a full tour of the car and when everything was working, Taxed, NCT'd and tyres were new they had to let me go.

This is bloody enraging and I am sick to death of it happening for NO reason I can think of. Why do they drive up your arse so close? I'm half tempted to pull over, get out and start screaming at the next one that does it. Possibly make a complaint against their driving. One problem i'm absolutely terrified that they will gang up on me (it's happened to people I know).

I fantasize about slamming the breaks next time and letting them rear-end me, but when it comes to court they will prolly just lie and i'll end up getting done for dangerous driving (+ i'd never get the cash back on the car).

Does anyone else get this crap happening to them? Can you do anything about it without giving your name?
    Did you get any shoulder numbers (R123 for example) or the reg of the car? If so, ring up Garda Headquarters, get the station they're attached to and lodge a formal (written) complaint with the station (or district) Superintendent.

Of course, because there's no independent oversight of the Gardai (yet) it's likely nothing may come of it (and equally likely that you may become a target for more such harassment - if anyone wants examples I can provide this), but what else can you do in this corrupt boys-lookin-after-the-boys mess of a country?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

layke wrote:

How could a cars fog lights blind you when the car is 2 inches from your bumper?
    Headlamps OK but fog lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you driving a modified car? Do you have a non-Irish reg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

Is your car heavily modified by any chance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sizzler wrote:
    Why didnt you put a call in to the Tallaght cop shop the next day and ask to speak to the superintendent?
    Better yet, tag them in there while they're up your hole ask the guy on the desk why REGNO that followed you most/all of the way there is/was harassing you.

adam

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Better yet, tag them in there while they're up your hole ask the guy on the desk why REGNO that followed you most/all of the way there is/was harassing you.

adam
    Exactly.. too many people have this "fear" of the gardai and in my opinion it lets muppets like the 4 you encountered get away with this sort of stunt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

layke wrote:

Here is my example.

Ok let me get this straight...

The Gardai pulled you over (something which they might do 20 times randomly in a shift), asked you if you had been drinking. Asked you another couple of questions to see if you were speaking coherently and probably to try and detect a smell of alcohol off your breath.

So they were out on patrol detecting drink drivers, something which everybody in the country wants the gardai to be doing especially at 1am at night. They also checked your car to see if it was roadworthy. ok, brilliant model gardai if you ask me. Thats what they get paid for.

You then demanded to be breathalysed, something which they cannot do unless
    1. they suspect you have consumed alcohol
    2. you have been involved in an accident
    3. you have committed an offence under the Road Traffic Act

I dont see what the problem is.

Without random traffic stops no drink dirvers would ever be caught, no firearms would be recovered, no drugs would be detected.

As for following you home they probably continued driving around their district constantly until 6am stopping cars, intercepting criminals/burglars who come out at night.

No matter what the gardai do nowadays they are wrong.

Those four gardai should have stayed in the station playing snooker by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

why don't you tell us what you were driving...... if it was a glanza or civic or a boy racer car then that's why they pulled you in, If not then report them.

I had an unmarked car nearly take the back out of my car twice while switching lanes and driving 2 inches away from my bumber before.... It was like he wanted me to speed up so he could do me for it. It really p1ssed me off but I ignored him and didn't engage his games! he got bored and tore off at about 110mph and pulled someone else in then, the other guy obviously sped up to get him off his ass!!!

• Advertisement

Actually...

Do Garda (Traffic Corps) cars have audio/video cameras fitted like they do in the UK/US - like you see in the "Police Stop" type shows?

If they were required to produce the tape in a case, rather than a judge taking their "word" for it - which is after all heresay and normally inadmissable - then I think it'd have the effect of dramatically reducing the number of incidents like this and also serve to (partially) police what is a very unprofessional and corrupt force.

Do they have a motto? (like the US's: "Protect and Serve"). If not may I suggest "To Harass and Intimidate" as representative of a lot of the "work" they do on the roads.

steve06 wrote:
    why don't you tell us what you were driving...... if it was a glanza or civic or a boy racer car then that's why they pulled you in, If not then report them.
    Even if that's why they pulled him in, is that enough of a justification if he was driving within legal limits and not otherwise attracting attention?

I'd argue no it's not. It's tantamount to them dictating what car you can buy/drive without getting harassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Even if that's why they pulled him in, is that enough of a justification if he was driving within legal limits and not otherwise attracting attention?

True, but these cars are usually heavily modified and the mods are not listed on insurance or log book - So they are illegal and not road safe.

I don't know if they were fog lights or not, all I know is they were right up my ass on full beams, enough to blind me.
    seamus wrote:
    Are you driving a modified car? Do you have a non-Irish reg?

Yes and No.

Cheif, if I request a beath test. I'm sure they can give one on the basis I requested it.

Secondly, I don't see how putting full beams on and ass riding your car is going to solve if i'm drunk or not. In fact it puts them, the driver and any other member of the public in jepardy. Also, tbh, you weren't there, this focker had a cheeky smirk across his face when he was asking me. Almost as if it was just an excuse to pull me over. I think most people have learned how to read body language by my age.

edit*

I drive a civic, yes however it still doesn't justify how they went about it. Also I was NOT drinking, and I did NOTHING to warrent the pull over.

[QUOTE=
    Cheif, if I request a beath test. I'm sure they can give one on the basis I requested it.
    /QUOTE]

Yes he could have let you blow into the machine alright for the fun of it, but if you had failed there is nothing he could have done.

He is constrained by law and has a strict process which he has to follow to perfection to secure a conviction.

Oh and as for the gardai not being able to do anything right these days. Heres a post from another thread... Its absolutely unbelievable that this guy thinks he has done nothing wrong...

edit...
    Unbelievable, the cops seriously have nothing better to do these days. Got stopped on the Waterford road, guess what for ?
    Crossing the white line !
    I now have 2 points on my licence!
    And an insurence company is not going to differenciate between points received for speeding and the above unmentionable.
    So be warned everyone, they are out there and they are out to get you!
    edit...

Chief--- wrote:
    He is constrained by law and has a strict process which he has to follow to perfection to secure a conviction.
    erm, why have a Morris tribunal then? :D

You seem to be forgetting the fact that they went RIGHT up to the back of my car blinding me with high beams which may have resulted in an accident.

Which is the point of the thread, not that I was pulled.

Your argument is invalid, these were cowboys having a giggle.

I'm going to write my TD about the cameras on Garda cars, it's a good idea, nae fantastic.

Just for the sake of engaging in your argument, according to the copper he pulled me on the suspicion of drink driving, so please tell why wasn't I breathalized?

K bannon if he had a gun pointed in his mouth at the side of the road yeah maybe :)

Layke, he has to form his opinion first of all that you have drink on board before he can breathalyse you. He would do this by talking to you asking you questions and scope your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Chief--- wrote:
    edit...
    Unbelievable, the cops seriously have nothing better to do these days. Got stopped on the Waterford road, guess what for ?
    Crossing the white line !
    I now have 2 points on my licence!
    And an insurence company is not going to differenciate between points received for speeding and the above unmentionable.
    So be warned everyone, they are out there and they are out to get you!
    edit...

Chief, I think you need to make clear that, that lad was on a motorbike and from what he has said. The traffic was stopped at the time. He also never put in if there was on coming traffic.

I've had the same thing happen to me on the road going into Tallaght from dublin. Just before the M50 roundabout there. I had a car come up behind me. Nothing major. After the roundabout he pulled up about 10ft away from my rear tire (I was on the bike) Seeing as this is very bad for a bike. I incresed my speed and changed lane. This happened 3 times till I was over the speed limit. I then had him start to flash me with his high beams.. this happened a few times and every time I changed lane he continued to ride up me ass and flash his high beems. So after a few more 100meters of this I pulled over and got off my bike and removed the key from the engin. Incase it was some one looking to "jack" the bike. Turns out it was a unmarked gard car.

First thing out of his mouth "do you know what speed you where doing" I told him yes and give the different speeds I had increased to along the way. I then told him did he know that driving so close to the back of a biker is very dangerus thing to do. He then said, why didn't I pull over. I then replyed with, why didn't you flash your blue lights at me in order to ID your-self a gard. he said... and wait for it... "There broken"

He asked to see my ID and then took a look at the bike. He then asked me, why dont I have leathers on. I told him I dont wear leathers (I have a syentetic coat with armor) and that I dont wear full armor when I am going to the movies.

At no time was I doing anything wrong before the gard came up behind me. But in the end, he pulled me over for speeding. After making my point and reason for speeding clear to him. He walked off and got back in his car. Then I went on my way. Random stops are one thing and I have had it happen to me before. There is no problem there. But forcing someone over the speed limit by driving to close to them is an other thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

chief by anychance are you a garda? or son of one?

I've heard of both garda tail gateing (a form of harrassment imo) and pulling over cars with blacked out windows (a form of prejudice)

Yes the guards have a hard job, i think the training they receive is flawed. But i think for anyone to deny there is a culture of power tripping & looking after the lads is simply lying... imo

OP... just be sure to nail the speed limit if they are behind you like that again

Trust me mate, when I saw them turn I made damn sure I was below that limit.

layke wrote:
    I'm going to write my TD about the cameras on Garda cars, it's a good idea, nae fantastic.
    Why thank you! :D

Seriously though, I think it's something that needs to be done at this stage to cut out the carry on some of them are at (and especially if the volunteer Gardai idea goes ahead).

Unless I've missed something, the justice system still operates on a principle of "innocent until proven guilty", thus the onus should be on the Gardai to PROVE the alleged offense (as I said earlier, heresay doesn't count) and cameras make that easy - after all, they can do it for speedtraps, right?

It's hard (for either side: Garda or member of the public) to deny it when it's there on screen, and if it works in the UK and US, then why not have it here too?

I cant see cameras in every garda car. Way too expensive.

Sure the one that pulled over sutty didnt even have blue lights that worked.

A common occurance.

The money just isnt there.

Chief--- wrote:

A common occurance.

More likely that the union would object to the idea of "Big Brother" watching their members activities.

Money can be made available if enough pressure is applied on the Minister for Justice. After all, they've no problem paying for Charlie's state funeral on Friday, right - which incidentially is also being organised in record time having seen the plans on their website.

If the government can waste a fortune on electronic voting machines that don't work and other such financial black holes then they've no excuse for not spending it on something that in fact should make life EASIER for the Gardai (after all, as you pointed out, the existing process is a torturous one which must be followed to the letter to secure a conviction).

Given that many members of the force have to use their own mobile phones and supply their own batteries for their torches, I reckon some more* in car cameras are not high up on the list of priorities.

* I say more because some unmarked cars already have these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Chief--- wrote:

A common occurance.

If Dublin Bus can afford to put 6 cameras in all of their 1100 buses and justify it through a reduction in false insurance claims there is FA reason why the police cannot justify cameras in every car on traffic duty if not their entire fleet. The money saved on court cases alone would pay for it, people faced with video evidence will be far less likely to contest a case.

John R wrote:
    If Dublin Bus can afford to put 6 cameras in all of their 1100 buses and justify it through a reduction in false insurance claims there is FA reason why the police cannot justify cameras in every car on traffic duty if not their entire fleet. The money saved on court cases alone would pay for it, people faced with video evidence will be far less likely to contest a case.
    exactly my point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Chief--- wrote:
    You then demanded to be breathalysed, something which they cannot do unless
    1. they suspect you have consumed alcohol

If they didn't supsect the OP of drinkimg alcohol, why did they ask him if he had been?

Del

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Revelation Joe they asked him if he had been drinkin to find out if he was, its part of the process of forming their opinion.

Advertisement