Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I saw Pedro Martinez pitch

• 14-06-2006 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

While on holiday in Boston i was at an Irish American festival with my uncle in 2000. When one of his friends heard that i was hoping to see the red sox before i went back he said hed try and get me tickets for the following nights game. He told me how he was retired and just got the retirement job of his dreams an usher at Fenway Park right behind the dugouts. He basically shows people to their seats. That evening he called my uncles house and said he got two tickets for the sox v expos and pedro was pitching which meant tickets were like gold dust. At that time Pedro was the best pitcher in the mlb and that evening he didnt dissapoint he struck out batter after batter with an array of pitches. What struck me was how he wasnt such a giant of a man but man could he throw heat (fastball) when he wanted to. Going to the game was cool i got the train from the suburbs into the city then got out at Kenmore Station beside Fenway and then you are struck by the history of the place it seems rather old and there seems to be a huge pile of hatred for the yankees. I had a great time and the sox one and i got to see a pitching legend in action which i will never forget.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

That's a real treat - he was in his prime around then. In case you're interested, here's a link to the game log that I think you're referring to:
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07180BOS2000.htm

On a side note, in a nostalgic matchup for Red Sox fans, Pedro faced Nomar for the first time last week......and Nomar homered off the first pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Saw Pedro pitch a few times myself during his time at the sox and was a fan of him at the time, however I have very little respect for him the way he left, called the sox 'cheap' cos they were not willing to overpay for him
    He was the kinda guy that was loving the media when he was doing well but used to accuse the of 'disrespecting' him if they wrote anything negative when he was pitching poorly.
    The Mets are back at Fenway soon for inter-league play, hope he pitches, it will be interesting to see the reception he gets

Advertisement