Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations and advice on getting broadband in dublin 9 area...

• 14-06-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi there.

OK so we are looking to get broadband for the house, we have ripwave but to say its a joke isn't even worthwhile as no one is laughing anymore.

I have read Damien Mulley's guide to broadband and found it quite useful but equally a bit confusing. We are in the Whitehall area of Dublin 9 and I looked on the government's broadband site as well but obviously that really just a list of options we can get, but any opinions or recommendations would be required.
    • We have a phone line, but it isn't connected, and we dont want to have to go and get Eircom to connect it up and then have to pay a monthly rental.
    • We are going to be running 2-3 laptops off it at once so would love a company that offered a wireless modem instead of having to buy and set up the router ourselves.
    • No download cap, or if there is, one of 25-30GB would be required
    • Obviously, a low contention ratio would be preferred.
    • We have NTL digital already but they dont seem to have any timeframe or proper info on when, if ever, they will offer their cable broadband to users in our area.

Anyway, if anyone has any random thoughts of recommendations, they would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Ripwave is never going to give the kind of options you want. Though IBB do provide a 2mb 24:1 contended service in your area. AFAIK there are approx 3 possible highsites you can use. Call their sales peeps and check it out as all IBB have to do is make sure you are in coverage and you can get a line of site to the highsite with no signal interference and you got a service.

Also check out magnet (mainly new housing estates i think), Eircom, esat BT, .... there is a lot out there - specially for the dublin area

A pity you cant get NTL they do a good service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

Thanks for the response dathiultaigh. I really have had major problems with IBB, so don't really fancy using them again unless its completely necessary. At present, I think we're leaning towards Smart. As I say we have an inactive phone line but from what I've read that will be fine. Does anyone have anything necessarily positive or negative to say about Smart? Also do they provide a wireless modem to allow the connection to be shared? Thanks once again everyone.

Advertisement