Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termulous - Think natural selection using the q3 engine

Options
  • 14-06-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

Quake is dead.

There's been a few games developed out of the quake codebases, Warsow been the more well known in these parts. But a more interesting one I feel is Termulous which comes from the Quake3 code.

Here's the summary from the Termulous site.
    Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more...

Player advancement is different depending on which team you are on. As a human, players are rewarded with credits for each alien kill. These credits may be used to purchase new weapons and upgrades from the "Armoury". The alien team advances quite differently. Upon killing a human foe, the alien is able to evolve into a new class. The more kills gained the more powerful the classes available.

The overall objective behind Tremulous is to eliminate the opposing team. This is achieved by not only killing the opposing players but also removing their ability to respawn by destroying their spawn structures.

I've started a server on games4 (Bug eyed aliens from navan) and you can download the client here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Sounds interesting, might give it a try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Might give it a bash, but I just couldn't get into Natural Selection when I played that. Is there any chance of a Warsow server trial somewhere Rev? I think there could be demand for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'll try and get one up tomorrow. But I thought there was one running already, at least it says so on quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Downloaded the client and played around for a bit.

You CAN'T strafe jump..... sorry but in Q3 thats just wrong. I'm uninstalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I didn't like this. C'mon put on Quake 3. I get 12ms ping now :eek:

• Advertisement

I'll try and get one up tomorrow. But I thought there was one running already, at least it says so on quake.ie
    Ya I was told there was a Galwaylan server up on 82.195.149.82 but I have never seen it up... maybe they scrapped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Illkillya wrote:
    Ya I was told there was a Galwaylan server up on 82.195.149.82 but I have never seen it up... maybe they scrapped it.

It should be up? Odd, I'll enquire..

[edit] Should be fixed now.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Illkillya wrote:
    Box was a little sick over the weekend and I didnt get a chance to look into it till today. Should be all up and running again now.

Thanks Asok - have been playing a bit on that server the past few days now. Its good how its so easy to vote between gametypes, no hassle with mods and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Quake is dead

*Sticks fingers in ears*

Lalalalalacan'thearyoulalalala

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Does it have q2dm1 in it? If not, I'm not interested.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

More importantly, does it have E4M3 for the Quad whores?

Advertisement