Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fas trained tradesmen in Dublin and Ireland

Options
  • 14-06-2006 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Something just dawned on me lately about various trades in dublin and ireland.
    With the influx of migrants into ireland and the jobs they take ,is Ireland as a country loosing out on all the money it invested in training various trades over the years?

I work for builders from latvia every now and then ,they get the work done and on time . I'd get them myself to do any work.

My problem is the way people are hired by companies ,paid less than our own lads and our own lads are sent home.
    I know a lot of people who have lost work because of this.

My point though is ,can we afford to turn our backs on people who trained in Fas ,schemes that the public paid for .

I fully support migrant workers ,once they are paid properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My problem is the way people are hired by companies ,paid less than our own lads and our own lads are sent home.
    I can't see (m)any unemployed construction workers about and certainly none of them earning less than the official rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

Quite a few people have told me they aren't doing anything.

One bloke told me he was undercut by 40% on the price of a job.
    All legal and above board ,it's just the way things are at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

One bloke told me he was undercut by 40% on the price of a job.

Was this bloke a chancer looking for 40% over the odds by any chance?

The construction industry is still growing faster than Ireland can supply workers

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0612/pmi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

the irish trades men are over paid and have priced them selves out of the market. this is only just balancing things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it was on the Gardening / DIY board that someone mentioned being quoted prices from €300 to €8,000. Now those are extremes, but it simply demonstrates that some things are completely overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've had a lot of experience (both home and abroad) working with Irish and foreign tradesmen/professionals. The Irish are losing out big time both on qualitative terms and efficiency. We can learn alot from many overseas fellow tradespeople how to be more professional and do our job better. I consistently hear clients positively compliment the workmanship of foreign tradesmaen. Well done guys you could teach a lot to many Paddy's.

The crunch is not money, you can always get somoene to do something cheaper, what matters more is value for money. IMO quality and reliability will always outweigh costs.

I've seen guys mess up sites with the waste of their labour, turn up late, slouch about and go AWOL. I also hate this BUD bull****, if you want to be a BUD do your job well. Blockies looking for € 4 to lay a 9" (100 yd wall x 2 yds H), no problem but you'd be lucky to get 5 hrs work out of them.

IMO Irish guys could learn much more from observing the new guys than any training here to now.

Do you ever notice how clean the foreign guys are in comparison to the irish guys. The paddys must shower themselves in cement or paint !

Good guys nothing to fear - BUDS look out-the winter is coming for you!

Sonnenblumen

Advertisement