Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

moving to Ireland

Options
  • 14-06-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, new here so grateful for any input. I have been driving on a UK provisional (accompanied) for a year. Been offered a job in Dublin to start in July. Contract came through and stipulated a car was required. I have a test booked for August (earliest I could get). I know many Irish people driving unaccompanied on 1st Provisionals. I don't like this, but it is tempting to exploit the current weakness in the Irish system and start driving unaccompanied in Dublin (on Irish provisional) asap while awaiting test. Problem is, in order to claim car allowance from employer, I need to provide them with insurance policy. This insurance policy will surely mention I am on a 1st provisional, no? Wishing I had been upfront with employer, but they never asked about license at any of the 6 interviews.

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your provisional licence is not valid outside the UK - irrespective of any licencing farce here

edit: I see you had planned on getting an Irish prov. licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Lad it must be a good job if your moving here.

Try and get a UK license first then swap it for an Irish license when you get here.

Driving alone on a 1st provisional is illegal and you run that risk, a risk that certainly 99.9% on 1st Provisional license holders do here.

Insurance policies dont state whether or not you have a full license or not.

Hope you have a god time in Dublin, am from Monaghan but nearly everyone here is Dub'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grain78

Also, will an Irish employer tend to tolerate a provisional driver provided the car is not a company car?

thanks Kluivert! Nice to feel welcome. Combination of girflreind being a Dub and job. Weather and prices not so hot. Great news on the insurance. Still worried bout employer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm sure your new employer feels quite lucky to have taken on someone who is willing, as soon as he arrives in the country, to flout the law.

IMHO, you need to let your employer know asap and try to arrange to take a driving test as a cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I don't see why you need to mention it to your employer?
    Get your insurance and present to them. As said, it doesn't state what type of licensce you have, and it therefore is not your employeers concern.

More importantly, you will need to inform your insurance company that your car will be for more than just personal use.

OK, that seems settled then. If the insurance cert doesn't state license type all is well. Can't wait to take my test though.

Thanks all.

Advertisement