Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to run a .exe file in a web page?

Options
  • 14-06-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is a stupid question......

I know you can run applets and open pdf files but ....

is it possible to launch a windows application (ie an exe file) inside a web page. For example on a website if you want to have MS Calculator showing in a frame on your webpage, is it technically possible to do that? (apart from copyright issues....)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i would certainly hope not, for obvious security reasons.

why cant you use a java calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

There was an exploit way back that used a MIME type issue to launch exe;s from the browser.

But if your coding is up to it, you can use ActiveX control to interact with the OS. But be aware that due to increased security measures, without digitally signing the control you will find it very hard to deploy it especially with Windows XP SP2 or IE7

And this is an IE solution only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

calculator was just an example.....

say you wanted to use an editor like wordpad or textpad? are there in general "web-friendly" versions of popular windows tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

What environment are you deploying for..

WordPad can be easily replicated using RichText controls or IE controls.

If you need specific EXE's rather than say generic usuable tools, you may be out of luck. Browser exe launching is a bad thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What exactly is it you want to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

While you might be able to get past all the security and use a browser to download and launch an exe. it won't be running in the browser, or in a web page. It will just be running on the PC like any other exe.

Why would you even want to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Why would you even want to do that?
    I'm sure there's a bunch of virus/trojan writers who could give you some very good reasons why they would want that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I want to have a feature like MS Paint on my website and was looking for an easy solution.....why reinvent the wheel and all that.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Well I assume it was an innocent question :D

Why paint, its already on every desktop?

I'm guessing but perhaps what you want to do is edit graphics on your website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Is it a web application, or just personal site? Is it hosted on Windows/Unix. There are components available that fit your needs but the depend on what OS you are being hosted on.

Google "web based whiteboard" for some ideas

• Advertisement
Advertisement