Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional customer service

Options
  • 14-06-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I was in a computer shop the other day when I was approached by a guy who has worked there for some time and would be considered expierenced in the shop and he greeted me by "Yo dude, how can I help you"

When I was in Mcdonalds this afternoon for lunch the shift manager got my order wrong and apoligiesed by saying "Sorry about that Bud",

Now sorry if I am nit picking but Dude and Bud, are not IMO professional ways to speak to customers no matter what your buying, what age you are or, what your spending.

We slag off americans for "Have a nice day" comments but we heading for the other end of the scale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Sorry about that Sir.

Now get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sounds like cork slang to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Frankly, I wouldn't care as long as I got what I wanted.

Customer service seems to be something of a pet peeve with you, doesn't it? This is, what, your fourth or fifth thread on it that I have seen now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Dude/Bud? You obviously havent been to Cork...
    Plug wrote:
    Sounds like cork slang to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are lucky you got any sort of a reponse tbh. Fast food staff are hardly the most "professional" in the world now are they? :) Dont let it bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'm with the OP on this; I like to be called sir before I'm thrown out or before someone spits on my burger. How dare they use an informal means of addressing me, to try communicating on a more personal level, and diffuse the situation; is this customer service?! The bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

I think its the way they say it and not what they say that counts. Someone could be a dragon-faced bitch and say "thanks sir" but another person could be all smiles and friendly and say what was said to you. I think its the attitude that is more important. In my local shop the shop owner calls everyone pet. Drives my Mam insane as he's the same age as her and he says thanks pet, bye pet.

Karoma wrote:
    I'm with the OP on this; I like to be called sir before I'm thrown out or before someone spits on my burger. How dare they use an informal means of addressing me, to try communicating on a more personal level, and diffuse the situation; is this customer service?! The bastards.

"Heres your big mac, dude, enjoy"
    "DUDE?!, DUDE?!. I demand to be called sir at once!":p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

No offence But I worked in a computer shop selling and for me personally I greeted the person as a fellow peer not in a level whereby i tried to kiss their arse in order to make a sale.

People prefer a friendly person talking to them in a not so professional manner least then its a conversation and not a sale, and personally I myself like being greeted by "you allright there mate can i help you with anything" as apposed to "GOOD AFTERNOON THERE SIR HOW CAN I ROB U OF UR MONEY TODAY"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Frankly, I wouldn't care as long as I got what I wanted.

Customer service seems to be something of a pet peeve with you, doesn't it? This is, what, your fourth or fifth thread on it that I have seen now?

Yes Customer service is a pet peeve with me, having studied management, worked with the public in many position, I always like to be treated well mannered by people for whom I paying to provide a service come to think of it, I know of a guy that was sacked because he spoke to a customer by saying "Whats the story how can I help you bud" not knowing the customer who he was talking to was actually a Managing Director of the company he worked for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Dude/ Bud? Whats the problem? I say it all the time including, probably, where i used to work (in an electrical shop, for my misdoings) Sir is a bit too oldfashioned or something I dont think Ive ever said it except in school

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I just wish once someone would call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

dbnavan wrote:
    Yes Customer service is a pet peeve with me, having studied management, worked with the public in many position, I always like to be treated well mannered by people for whom I paying to provide a service come to think of it, I know of a guy that was sacked because he spoke to a customer by saying "Whats the story how can I help you bud" not knowing the customer who he was talking to was actually a Managing Director of the company he worked for.

Well I am not for all this "Sir" nonsense. I find it a very cold way to address someone. I think it is very bad customer service actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Jesus some people would moan about anything.

I agree with sunzz, customers in general prefer to be greeted in a friendly, informal way than a formal but not so friendly way. It also makes them feel more comfortable.
    Having worked in various customer service roles over the past 4 or so years, I can honestly say that 60%+ of all customers are inconsiderate (whether intenitional or not) assholes and don't even deserve customer service.
    The staff you're dealing with have to put up with loads of crap from customers each day so just be glad you're getting friendly service.

Just comes across as though you want to feel superior to other people, or as though you think you're superior to people who work in shops/stores etc tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I prefer that people just be people, really, even if they do work in a shop...
    dbnavan wrote:

This whole calling the customer 'sir' thing seems to be very new to Ireland, actually. I never heard anyone say it when I was a kid, except on television. I don't like it very much.

sunzz wrote:
    No offence But I worked in a computer shop selling and for me personally I greeted the person as a fellow peer not in a level whereby i tried to kiss their arse in order to make a sale.

People prefer a friendly person talking to them in a not so professional manner least then its a conversation and not a sale, and personally I myself like being greeted by "you allright there mate can i help you with anything" as apposed to "GOOD AFTERNOON THERE SIR HOW CAN I ROB U OF UR MONEY TODAY"

Exactly, I hate being called sir for anything, Im havent been knighted or something (yet) but thats just me. :)

dbnavan wrote:
    ...having studied management, worked with the public in many position...
    You sound like a prostitute.

It really does depend on the tone / people involved. I'd rather people not use any form of address. Irish people generally don't pull off "sir" or "madam" without sounding patronising.

Much ado about nuffink, mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Dude/Bud? You obviously havent been to Cork...
    boyo would be a bit more typical of Cork. However yeah that isn't very professional, I wouldn't mind as long as they were willing to facilitate me at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Ruu wrote:
    "Heres your big mac, dude, enjoy"
    "DUDE?!, DUDE?!. I demand to be called sir at once!":p
    LMAO!:D

People can barely speak English as it is in McDonalds..If they speak english, you should be happy....dude.

Would you like fries with that, baiiii?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Actually, now I think of it, the OP is generally one of the ruder posters around. Not me levels of rudeness, but hardly politeness itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

dbnavan wrote:
    Yes Customer service is a pet peeve with me, having studied management, worked with the public in many position,.....

If you're buying an expensive suit, car, etc.... then customer service is important. Computer shops are very casual, and McDonalds isn't exactly a 5 star restaurant where a waiter directs you to a seat and asks if you want to see the wine list....

In summary.... get over it !
    Women complain about perceived slights like that.... sounds like you need a testosterone patch to help with your fragile ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dbnavan wrote:
    I was in a computer shop the other day when I was approached by a guy who has worked there for some time and would be considered expierenced in the shop and he greeted me by "Yo dude, how can I help you"

When I was in Mcdonalds this afternoon for lunch the shift manager got my order wrong and apoligiesed by saying "Sorry about that Bud",

Now sorry if I am nit picking but Dude and Bud, are not IMO professional ways to speak to customers no matter what your buying, what age you are or, what your spending.

We slag off americans for "Have a nice day" comments but we heading for the other end of the scale.

and what would sir have us do to remedy this situation?

also, if sir could perhaps put his posts in the correct forum from now, the management would greatly appreciate it.

have a nice day sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

If someone addressed me as "sir" in a shop I'd be on my guard instantly, that method of addressing a customer always strikes me as very false and put on.

If I were to be addressed as "bud" or "dude" I'd feel more at ease, it seems more natural, less like an act. The fact that the shop assistant doesn't know me from Adam, or indeed give a flying fuck about me, is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

OMcGovern wrote:
    If you're buying an expensive suit, car, etc.... then customer service is important. Computer shops are very casual, and McDonalds isn't exactly a 5 star restaurant where a waiter directs you to a seat and asks if you want to see the wine list....

IMO, a part of excellent customer service is how the staff members gauges on how the customer wants to be treated.
    As we can see from the thread, people like to be treated differently, no matter what the service / scenario in the customer experience.
    Even in the most formal of circumstances, the customer may feel more relaxed with a more informal approach from the staff member. The true is the same for the flip side.
    It's may seem like a small issue, but it still niggles a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dbnavan wrote:
    I always like to be treated well mannered by people for whom I paying to provide a service

To be honest, i'd have more time for "I always like to think that i treat my customer well."

Ah well, we're all just spinning around you buddy!!! :D ( j/k btw )

in all seriousness , there is a degree of what can expected depending on where you are. As has already been pointed out, i have genuine enthusiasm from young lads in McDonalds with the "no worries man..." while the post waiters in some of Irelands best resturants gave me the impression they wished i was dead.

Which one is the better service?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If I greet a customer with 'sir/madam' in my job, Ill get laughed at. But sometimes it can be appropriate, and appreciated. You have to guage it according to the job and the customer. Being pleasant, willing to help and interested in the customer is what counts, whether you refer to them as dude, boyo or 'mate'.

It annoys me a lot more when shop staff chat among themselves about their love lives/night out and completely ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

rsynnott wrote:
    Actually, now I think of it, the OP is generally one of the ruder posters around. Not me levels of rudeness, but hardly politeness itself.

I am one of the rudest posters?? Funny that, never been banned, cautioned, or pulled up about it in anyway? Care to give examples?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can we keep this on topic please,this thread is not about the OP it is about general customer service standers.

Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I absolutely hate with a passion being called bud. I expect to be asked for spare change/a smoke/my wallet soon after! 'story bud

I'd laugh at being called dude. It's a bit 70s American. Californian teenager or New York pimp :D

"Hi, can I help you with anything" or similar is more than enough.

Advertisement