Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional customer service

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I don't think the way you're addressed marks a failure in customer service unless you happen to be addressed in a derogatory/offensive way. To be honest it smacks of classism if you think anything less than "sir" is acceptable.

Also, how can you expect a worker in a retail store most likely on minimum wage or close to it to really care too much except to get the job done? Like if the way he addressed you was in some way linked to his failure to follow through with the delivery of a particular product or service that may be grounds to complain but otherwise it's inconsequential. To be honest if you ask me people working in shops get it far worse from customers than they give in most instances and where can such people seek redress?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dbnavan wrote:
    I am one of the rudest posters?? Funny that, never been banned, cautioned, or pulled up about it in anyway? Care to give examples?

i dont want to p1ss on your parade but i know ive warned and possibly banned you from the work forum before.

and yes, you can get rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Happened upon this online: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_labour

Interesting!

Although, personally, I don't care all that much how a person is with me as long as they do their job properly, leaving emotion out of it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'd prefer a "bud" then a "sir", the type of person who says "bud" is real and you can talk to them, whereas the type of person who says "sir" can't speak english or doesn't have any power to negoitate a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bud and Dude would have me turning around and leaving the shop. There are other ways of being friendly, without sounding like that. Those forms of address would just make me assume that the assistant was an idiot who opened their mouth before thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

vector wrote:
    I'd prefer a "bud" then a "sir", the type of person who says "bud" is real and you can talk to them, whereas the type of person who says "sir" can't speak english or doesn't have any power to negoitate a better deal.

Yeah, "I'm sorry SIR, it's not company policy"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

vector wrote:

I think you will find the definition of bud is # a partially opened flower
    # develop buds; "The hibiscus is budding!"
    # a swelling on a plant stem consisting of overlapping immature leaves or petals
    # start to grow or develop; "a budding friendship"

whereas the definition of sir is term of address for a man

Source wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Therefore I dont think its a matter of being able to speak English

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dbnavan wrote:
    I think you will find the definition of bud is # a partially opened flower
    # develop buds; "The hibiscus is budding!"
    # a swelling on a plant stem consisting of overlapping immature leaves or petals
    # start to grow or develop; "a budding friendship"

Source wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Therefore I dont think its a matter of being able to speak English

Agree with you there, bdnavan - in my area people who use the term "bud" are usually skangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

dbnavan wrote:

Not one which is really used in Ireland, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

in my area people who use the term "bud" are usually skangers.

yep, its Ok to use 'bud' if they are filling your car with petrol for you (and do not have a lit fag in their gob) otherwise its dead unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

"Bud" is understood in Hiberno-English as an informal Sir

being informal and localised it may not appear in a US English of British English dictionary

I don't use the word but others do and in todays free world (insert cliches) everyones free to speak and so on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its 'understood' in skangerland. "Bud (spelt bod) is the Irish word for p r ic k so yer skanger will simply get decked in the Gaeltacht :p

In most of the country its simply a pissy american beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

dbnavan wrote:
    having studied management, worked with the public in many position
    Then you'll be fully aware that no two customers are the same and you should be constantly be changing the atitude (yes that includes the way you address people) to match the customer you are dealing with.
    Obviously in they case you feel let down by the service because they didn't call you sir, to me that sounds more like you feel let down because they did not add to your ego trip, I mean it was McDonalds not some expensive restuarant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"bud" and "dude" are a little extreme, they'd definitely get a weird look from me. Very very few customer service people can pull off "sir". If they're not unbelievably helpful and extremely professional then they just sound false and wanktastic.

"Mate" is acceptable. Or don't address me at all. Quite often "sorry" or "excuse me" is sufficient to get my attention. Once I'm talking to someone, there's no need to continue addressing me at the end of each sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I know a lot of women who hate being called "pet" and "love".
    That would really annoy me, i find it almost patronising.
    "Bud" and "Dude" and "Mate" are a bit weird though. Though i'm a girl so i can't see anyone saying those to me anyway!

Advertisement