Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Roof Needs replacing

• 14-06-2006 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi there,

My mams garage roof (flat roof) is fairly rotten and needs replacing. If there isnt much in the price she would prefer a tiled roof. the garage size is approx 29 foot x 9 foot.

Her house is on the sth side of dublin. Would anyone have an idea of the cost involved here or recommend any good roofers that wont mess her around. She has had a couple of messers in and they are making up the figures. its so hard to get good honest decent workers these days so any help would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

darkbeatz wrote:
    Hi there,

My mams garage roof (flat roof) is fairly rotten and needs replacing. If there isnt much in the price she would prefer a tiled roof. the garage size is approx 29 foot x 9 foot.

Her house is on the sth side of dublin. Would anyone have an idea of the cost involved here or recommend any good roofers that wont mess her around. She has had a couple of messers in and they are making up the figures. its so hard to get good honest decent workers these days so any help would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Hi
    That is a fair size roof and it will cost a bit to put a pitch roof on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

so would it be a lot cheaper to just go with a flat roof in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

darkbeatz wrote:
    so would it be a lot cheaper to just go with a flat roof in your opinion?

Yes get the old 1 removed get new ply fitted then torch on way to go :D

bump any one offer me any more advice here please?

bump

anyone know how much this could cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I can't help you with actual prices because I never post prices, it's a rule I have always had so nothing personal.

I have to agree with Carpenter, the cost diferrence between replacing the flat roof and converting it to a pitched roof would be fairly high.

I presume the garage is stand alone ? meaning the garage is not attached to the house in any way, if that is the case you are looking at fitting an apex roof complete with facia, soffitt, gutters and possibly hip details on both ends to avoid the need for building gable walls.

Plywood decking and good quality torch on system will probably be about a third of the cost of the Apex roof.

Take care with the term "Torch On" it's about as generic as the word "Car", there are some very good systems that properly installed will have a minimum life of thirty years.

There are others that to the average consumer look the same as the better products but at best have a life expectancy of fifteen years.

Regardless of the product you choose a major factor in the success or failure of a flat (low slope) roof is the workmanship, ask to see the roofers Construction Skills Certification card.

A real tradesman will not be offended, in fact happy that someone is doing there best to recognise there skill.

You do have other options like single ply membranes but they are usually more expensive because they are more economical on large industrial roofs.

Regards,

Peter.

thanks peter, I was hoping you would reply :)

the garage roof is attached to the house. Thanks for your advice i will be sure to pass it on

Advertisement