Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

History - The Response

• 14-06-2006 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

well i thought the documents were ok but i was shocked to see just 1 case study from my topics! some others were kind of hidden in other questions but the oil crisis was the only full question. i do think lots of ppl will be disappointed. i was hoping for a b1/a2 but now only expect a b3 . bye bye trinity:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Fairly bad paper, I'd say a lot of people made a mess of it what with the lack of case studies. I got lucky and I think I nailed it, however. So I shan't be complaining! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I'm sure I passed, but It was a messed up paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 schnupi

ye i was very disappointed as well. i used to get a1 - b1's in history but was really disappointed. i totally ****ed up the question bout sovietisation gave totally wrong facts and all.. well thats not gonna be more then 20 marks :mad: then once again i thought the question on the rise of facism was quite handy. i was surprised though to see nothing on 1916 or fianna fail.. i did the question on irish culture (topic3)as i didnt ve enough thing to say bout the other questions :/

ah well what can ye do.. the documents where handy enough though i hate questions 2 and 3... such a pain in d arse

i really think i ll get nothing better then a c in this paper... **** it sure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

The documents were grand enough. I thought the Stalin one was quite nice actually, pretty broad topic, didn't even give a timeframe. Yacked on about 5yr plans and collectivisation a bit. My Sov/Part question was a bit meh, really broad topic but in the bad way, asks for specific parts of about 5 essays worth of information. I'm hoping As/Bs for those but the Oil Crisis question DEFINITELY brought me down. Ran out of time so only got about 2 pages down, a lot of it was waffle and I forgot to focus on the west and went a bit into petro-dollars >.<. Hopefully the first three and my topic will get me a mid-high B. Dissappointed though since my teacher was rooting for me to get an A1 =C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I thought it was the most beautiful paper I've ever seen. I made sweet pen love to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I thought it was the most beautiful paper I've ever seen. I made sweet pen love to it.
    Jaysus :)

I thought it was a moderately successful exam for me. Strange questions though, did anyone else do the Opposition to Sovietisation Q?What'd ya talk about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Horrible, made stupid mistakes, I'll be happy with a D tbh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭joxer05

Modern Ireland question was a bit wierd, "How do you account for the political instablility and economic problems during the period 1949-59". could only think of the mother and child crisis for political instability. forgot to mention Ira border campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

ditto. almost!

to quote myself yesterday in another thread

"ideal world:

-Anti-Semitism in France and Russia from Nation States..
    -Stalin's Red Terror & The Moscow Show Trials from Dictatorship & Democracy
    -Cumann Na nGaedhael's Economic Policies, OR N. Ireland during WW2, including the Blitz and all that jazz.

that my friends, is probably very unlikely, but i would be a very happy girl if those came up."

there is a god :)

I LOVED the question on crisis in Russia, about anti-semitism, and also the effects of industrialisation, and the war. couldnt have asked for a better question.

the one of Stalin's economy and society was beautiful too...

And N. Ireland and the Rep. during the war. niiiiice.

the documents were grand, i was just a bit stumped about what to write about Parnell :eek:
    But im not lettin that get me down, im too happy.
    its not that im thinking "OMG! i SO got an A!!" - its just that this was hte only exam i was really worried about, and it went almost perfectly.. i dont expect an A.. i just now dont have to worry about getting a D.... hopefully... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

The document was nice, and I liked the question about stalin, the question abou the EEC was a bit queer (Should have had a longer time span), and the we get to irish history...Couldnt do any of the questions that came up (where's the rise of Sinn Fein love? No Dev? WTF...) So I waffled for 3 pages about emigration and foriegn irish people. (probally failed that question). But that was a nasty paper. Few peple in my school were happy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

It wasn't the best paper, but I gave it a good go. The documents questions were pretty nice, to be honest. When I looked through the paper initially and saw no case studies in the topics I'd studied, I was pretty shocked. Our teacher put special emphasis on them. In the sample paper given out by the SEC, one case study came up in each topic. It was a bad feeling, but I got it done in the end.

I expect a C or a B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I thought it was awful, documents were grand, The Irish questions were grand but the European questions were awful. I ended up doing the Oil Crisis, the worst thing about that question was it wasnt based on the actual Oil Crisis but on the effects in had on Western European countries only..

personally i didnt focus on the case studies really, but you couldve written about a good few of them no?

well, in the topics we did..

Sovreignty & Partition:
    Blitz on Belfast
    Eucharistic Congress

Nation States:
    Naval Policy of Wilhelm II

Dictatorship & Democracy:
    Show Trials
    Jarrow March

thats 5 of out what, 9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

i loved the paper.

too bad i didnt know any of the facts.

the doc was sweet, but the partition question in topic 3 was a pain.. i rambled on, adn on..

and not one date. i scraped a pass i think....

but still, nice questions! he he our teacher said.. he didnt think the case studys would come up! ha ha! i thought he was being silly :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

A bizarre, ludicrously arranged paper.

I had to compare church-state relations in the early 1870s to naval policy in the 1900s. I mean, what is the point of dividing the course into perspectives if you're going to do that? Ridiculous. Utterly, uttlerly stupid.

I shat all over the Dictatorship and Democracy question too. Two questions came up from the economic perspective, one from the cultural perspective. The sole question that came up from the political perspective didn't even involve any chapter or topic in particular. "The Rise of Fascism in Europe" is a crazily general question from a perspective that included the Weimar Republic, administration of four different states and an enormous web of foreign policy. Really absurd.

As for pursuit of sovereignty, I did the question on the north and south during the war. On the mock, this was my weakest essay. I really hope I improved it this time.

The layout of this paper was, put crudely, dumb as it could possibly have been. It utterly ignored the pretences of the sample paper, the inservice days and the content of the course itself.

I'll get no higher than a C1 in German, which leaves me in a position where I need an A1 from physics on Monday to get the points I need. I am not a happy sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I thought it was tough enough. I thought question 1 was hard enough. I did the partition question, realised i was only at 1914 and time was going fast so i just fecked a few dates onto the page and concluded. Then the fascism one was alright and i did the sovietisation one and completely got mixed up with Gero, Rakosi and Nagy whehn writing about the hungarian uprisung

Kovik wrote:

I had to compare church-state relations in the early 1870s to naval policy in the 1900s. I mean, what is the point of dividing the course into perspectives if you're going to do that? Ridiculous. Utterly, uttlerly stupid.

I shat all over the Dictatorship and Democracy question too. Two questions came up from the economic perspective, one from the cultural perspective. The sole question that came up from the political perspective didn't even involve any chapter or topic in particular. "The Rise of Fascism in Europe" is a crazily general question from a perspective that included the Weimar Republic, administration of four different states and an enormous web of foreign policy. Really absurd.

As for pursuit of sovereignty, I did the question on the north and south during the war. On the mock, this was my weakest essay. I really hope I improved it this time.

The layout of this paper was, put crudely, dumb as it could possibly have been. It utterly ignored the pretences of the sample paper, the inservice days and the content of the course itself.

I'll get no higher than a C1 in German, which leaves me in a position where I need an A1 from physics on Monday to get the points I need. I am not a happy sandwich.

Good summary, it was indeed bizarre, and entirely NOT similar to the sample papers, and what my teacher predicted. Not only this paper though, both maths and biology papers this year have had alot of critisism.

piece of piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

Good summary, it was indeed bizarre, and entirely NOT similar to the sample papers, and what my teacher predicted. Not only this paper though, both maths and biology papers this year have had alot of critisism.
    True. I'm beginning to suspect that the Grand High Examiner Alpha instructed those people laying out the papers to make the questions require some lateral thought in order to reduce the influence of 'tute types. The result of which being that they ignore, you know, the syllabus. If this is the case, I'm dreading physics on Monday. Oh Lordy, that one will be tough.

jees guys just cos it didnt suit you, dont call it "bizarre or obsurd". it was fine

• Advertisement

Rockerette wrote:
    jees guys just cos it didnt suit you, dont call it "bizarre or obsurd". it was fine

But it was?

It was nothing like the state sample papers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I though there was some strange questions. paritition for 1912 to 1920, i could write a book on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 foogirl

I thought it was a big ball of crap.

i wasnt exactly overly studying or anything, but i could've answered at least 2 from each section.. i dunno, maybe we just were lucky, or unlucky, with what we studied, but i had no problems with teh actual questions themselves either..

ok.. i'll go back into my box ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

Bloody history!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally fecked that up! :rolleyes:

I had at least 10 topics prepared fully, and a few half arsed, 2 ****in' topics came up. :rolleyes: :o I still passed it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Kovik wrote:

I agree!I didnt have bismark and the church prepare (just bismarks foriegn policy!)so my whole essay was on the naval policy!wish i had learned coloinism!

Irish question I did on north and south - should of been easy - but I cudnt remember a lot

Stalin - society and econmy meant to be my best and most prepared still dont think it went as well!

Document: At first I was like WTF?? but i got through it and it made sense! Did anwyone say that the pic of gladstone represented his fall of power and how he cant hold on and also d split in liberal party?and dat parnelly cudnt do anything in the end he jus watchd it all crumbel? and d two little wee irish men were ireland and dey showed that land bil and home rule = social unrest?but doc A said the two wud lead to soloution to social unrest?

oh I dnt know!what a stupid paper!yuk!Rocrette - it was weird - well thats what most people think! just because it went beautiful for you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

It was tough, but not shocking. In another thread, I said the department would be too scared to leave out case studies, but that - on the other hand - they wouldn't want everyone to get As, which would happen if Case Studies came up. Well, today the questions covered Case Studies, but demanded a little bit more.

Eg.
    North and/or South Social and Economic: Belfast Blizt.
    Opposition to Sovietisation: Hungarian Uprising.
    Stalin's transformation of society and economy: Show Trials.

I think I did decently, though I won't maintain my A1 from the mocks. Including the Special Project, I'd be happy with a B1. I'm finished the Leaving Cert, and I'm almost certain I got my points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

That was a toughie, I have to say. Tipped to make appearances in full question form were the rising, and Hitler - both only appeared as small portions of big questions.

Thankfully, I was well up to speed on CNG(Cosgrave), Stalin, and Imperialism. So everything was ok in the end.

One problem though - Most of the Dates entirely eluded me. I got a few in here and there, but not enough. How much could this get me docked?

A lot of people are complaining.. I think I did well enough to merit a B, so hopefully I can drift into the safety zone of the 300pts area, pending on how art history treats me. Then its Physics, Music, and freedom awaits!

<snip> Oh, and that case study was BEAUTIFUL. </snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

The paper really caught you out if you were gambling on certain topics coming up ie the case studies. Our teacher got it sooo wrong. I'm really glad I think he's an idiot and stopped listening to him at Christmas and did my own thing. The Department seems to be asking different questions this year, stuff thats not straighforward, to see if people actually learn the thing not just learn off essays and stuff. It happened with Maths and Biology. People complained that it was weird. None of these papers were weird. They asked legitimate questions. People should stop blaming bad papers for lack of preparation. This is the leaving cert. Gambling on topics is what it is; gambling. My two cents:rolleyes:

Advertisement