Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany - Poland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Germany 1-0 Poland

It was a good game for the neutral. Germany deserved to win it and eventually got the goal. A pity for the Poles who were plucky and stuck it out well, but in all honesty didnt create enough up front. Jelen had a couple of openings but failed to put in any good shots.

Germany played well I thought and are better with Ballack. His passing was excellent and he got up and down the pitch well. The chance that hit the bar twice was amazingly unlucky. Klose seemed to be a bit rusty with his heading as you would have expected him to put a couple of those away.

Germany are unlikely to win it or get to the final, but look likely to be a top-8 team.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Was sitting in the pub last night enjoying few pints of guinness when next of all during the game the guy at the table beside me was screaming , i was wondering what was going on and i asked him , he said that everygame so far in the world cup has had 10+ corners in it so the bookies were offering even money on 10+ corners and he had it backed for €2000 :)

mike65 wrote:
    Ballack was pants as was the whole midfield
    KdjaC wrote:
    Ballack was pants tho looked unfit
    I never liked ballack and dont rate that highly, everytime i see him play he does nothing. Tonight he was brutal, played a few good passes, but no forward runs and dont remember him having a shot on goal.

Guys, looks like we have interpreted the same game completely differently. I thought Ballack was good. He produced some excellent passes, kept coming deep looking for the ball and was up front in the box as many times as not. If that is a 'pants' player I want more players like that.

Little-Devil, if you cant remember Ballack's shot that hit the underside of the crossbar then I dont rate your observation skills very highly.

Like all games, people rate the same thing differently. I thought he was well above 'pants'. And whilst there is no way that I think Germany will win the thing, I think they are acquiting themselves well with the players that they have and I'd expect them to be in the final-8 .... and who knows, as the home team they could go further. Look at South Korea and Japan in the last world cup for evidence of that and indeed every WC since the year dot (ie: 1930). 'Weak' teams can go far.

redspider

Some stats on Ballack:

47 short passes, 27 long passes
    3 shots, only 1 on target (the one that hit the crossbar
    counts as a 'wide')
    Only tackled twice

MP MinP GF PG A SOG S SP
    1 90 0 0 0 1 3 47
    LP CRS YC RC TC TS FC FS
    27 3 1 0 4 2 2 4

A Assists
    CRN Corner kicks
    CRS Crosses
    FBA Fast break attacks
    FC Fouls committed
    FRE Free kicks (shots on goal)
    FS Fouls suffered
    GA Goals against
    GAA Goals against average
    GF Goals for
    GFA Goals for average
    HDR Headers
    LP Long passes
    MinP Minutes played
    MP Matches played
    OFFS Offsides
    PG Penalty kick goals
    PS Penalty kick shots
    RC Red Cards
    S Shots
    SOG Shots on goal
    SP Short passes
    SV Saves
    SVC Corner kicks saved
    SVF Free kicks saved
    SVFB Fast break attacks saved
    SVP Penalty kicks saved
    TC Tackles committed
    TS Tackles suffered
    YC Yellow Cards

Also, if you go to the ratings on Skysports.co.uk, although I dont give these values much credence, the public votes have Ballack at 7.0, which is equal 2nd, behnd Lahm of the starting players (the subs have been given high ratings).

Some more stats:
    Germany Assists  KeyPasses  	AccPasses  BadPasses  Tackles  Clearances Recoveries
      J Lehmann 	0 	0 	8 	8 	0 	0 	0
      C Metzelder 	0 	0 	34 	4 	7 	4 	3
      P Lahm 	0 	4 	57 	13 	5 	1 	2
      P Mertesack. 	0 	0 	39 	1 	4 	4 	2
      A Friedrich 	0 	1 	25 	7 	2 	0 	1
      B Schweins. 	0 	2 	34 	13 	1 	2 	1
      T Frings 	0 	2 	42 	14 	0 	2 	3
      B Schneider 	0 	3 	41 	12 	5 	0 	2
      M Ballack 	0 	1 	59 	23 	3 	1 	5
      L Podolski 	0 	1 	15 	6 	0 	0 	0
      M Klose 	0 	3 	9 	7 	2 	2 	2
      O Neuville 	0 	0 	3 	1 	0 	0 	0
      S Kehl 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0
      D Odonkor 	1 	2 	8 	5 	1 	0 	0
      G Asamoah 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0
      M Hanke 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0
      R Huth 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0
      T Borowski 	0 	0 	11 	2 	1 	0 	0

Granted, his passing accuracy was worse than Lahm but in many respects he is trying to do more than most of the other players. Many teams lack a playmaker, but in Germany's case with Ballack they have one.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I watched the the game on RTE2 and george hamilton thought Philip Lamb was germany's best player, i then turn to BBC and Alan Hansen thought Ballack was there best player, makes me laugh:). I never liked ballack and dont rate that highly, everytime i see him play he does nothing. Tonight he was brutal, played a few good passes, but no forward runs and dont remember him having a shot on goal. I think chelsea and have wasted a lot on money on a average player who is geting old
    Ballack is everything Frank Lampard is plus he has all the attributes that I think Lampard could do with. He is a leader, he gets stuck in, he certainly won't go missing when his team aren't playing well... The amount of top class passes Ballack pulled off last night was incredible. He must have passed it out to the right of the pitch about 20 times and it always landed on someone's foot. If only Germany had better players on the right side they would have been setting up a lot more chances. Also, didn't he hit the bar?

In saying that, i don't know why Chelsea bought him as they won't drop Lampard.

Advertisement