Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed With Eircom Broadband Startup>

• 14-06-2006 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently signed up for basic fixed line broadband with Eircom. Im new to all this and would appreciate some help:
    I have a fairly new Packard Bell Laptop which is Wi-fi enabled. (not sure what that means, lol)
    I had been using simple dial up internet (isdn is that what its called?) which I am using to access this page. After I signed up for broadband, I received a small pack in the post the other day, an Eircom Broadband start up kit and quickstart guide. The pack consists of a Netopia 3342 USB Gateway, a startup CD, a single port ASDL Filter, a 2 port ASDL splitter filter and a lavender network/phone cable.
    I followed the instructions that the cd takes you through right til the end and the connections are very simple, basically you must connect the phone jack to the phone socket, the phone line and lavender cable then go into the filter and the other end of the lavender cable goes into the small netopia USB which is then connected to my laptop.
    Everything sets up fine but I keep getting the message ' Cannot connect to the DSL server.'
    The green USB light is on on the Netopia USB but the DSL light flashes a weak green light which it says means its not working right.
    Ive tried troubleshooting on the help menu but it just says to check connections which I know are perfect.
    Its driving me mad. Before I contact Eircom again can anyone offer me any advice?
    Has anyone else had the same experience? Remember im using a laptop also.
    Am i missing some component?:confused:

Thansk in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Get onto Eircom, i have heard of a few cases when the starter pack has arrived before the line is setup for broadband at Eircom's end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

oddone wrote:
    Hi,
    I recently signed up for basic fixed line broadband with Eircom. Im new to all this and would appreciate some help:
    I have a fairly new Packard Bell Laptop which is Wi-fi enabled. (not sure what that means, lol)
    I had been using simple dial up internet (isdn is that what its called?) which I am using to access this page. After I signed up for broadband, I received a small pack in the post the other day, an Eircom Broadband start up kit and quickstart guide. The pack consists of a Netopia 3342 USB Gateway, a startup CD, a single port ASDL Filter, a 2 port ASDL splitter filter and a lavender network/phone cable.
    I followed the instructions that the cd takes you through right til the end and the connections are very simple, basically you must connect the phone jack to the phone socket, the phone line and lavender cable then go into the filter and the other end of the lavender cable goes into the small netopia USB which is then connected to my laptop.
    Everything sets up fine but I keep getting the message ' Cannot connect to the DSL server.'
    The green USB light is on on the Netopia USB but the DSL light flashes a weak green light which it says means its not working right.
    Ive tried troubleshooting on the help menu but it just says to check connections which I know are perfect.
    Its driving me mad. Before I contact Eircom again can anyone offer me any advice?
    Has anyone else had the same experience? Remember im using a laptop also.
    Am i missing some component?:confused:

Thansk in advance for any replies.
    According to the eircom website, they are currently offering a free wireless modem/router, which, given that you've got a wireless laptop, would be well worth your time getting. Even if you currently plan to use the laptop "wired", the ability to use the laptop on the move (while watching TV, for example), might be nice to have.

I'd suggest that you check with eircom about getting the wireess router before you go too much further. I presume your laptop also has an ethernet port as well as wireless support. If that's the case, then there's absolutely no reason you would want to use the Netopia 3342 USB modem - it's probably perfectly capable of doing the job (once eircom enable your account), but it's going to impose limitations that you'd rather avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

oddone wrote:
    If you have ISDN installed then that needs to be removed by an Eircom engineer before BB will work. If it's an ordinary phoneline then as Ziycon said you may have received your modem pack before your line was fully setup. Contact Eircom to double check.

Advertisement