Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaky Deposit

Options
  • 14-06-2006 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Around my helix piercings, about two weeks old, I have a flaky white deposit, almost like dry skin. I can't recall having had it on previous piercings and I'm just wondering what's the story with it. Can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Maybe you're doing too many salt washes or your salt solution is too concetrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

It might even be dry skin. I'm always getting it around my ear piercings. I just dip a q-tip in a bit of vaseline and rub it in the surrounding area. You could use moisturiser but it might aggrevate a new piercing so use a very mild moisturiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Maybe you're doing too many salt washes or your salt solution is too concetrated.

Thought that might be it, but it does appear to be skin. I'll try the vaseline thing, thanks.

Thought that might be it, but it does appear to be skin.

Too much salt will cause dry and flakey skin.

Cut back on the washes or dilute it a lot more, a tsp to a pint of water or less.

Ah, okay, cool, will do. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

i got a bit of dry skin around my eye when i was cleaning it,so i just started put a bit of savlon on the surrounding area and cleared it right up

Dont use anything on the dry skin that contains alcohol that can just dry it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Sounds normal enough tbh. Use a benzilaconium chloride (dodgy spelling I'm sure) based cleaning solution or a basic saline soulution (no more than a qtr teaspoon of SEA salt to a cup of boiled water) when cleaning only. Wouldnt worry about it too much for now but if it persists pop into your nearest piercer just for peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

when cleaning with salt water your only supposed to use sea salt coz table salt has bleach etc in it.. use a half teaspoon to a pint of hot water.. anymore and it will leave deposits that will aggrovate the piercing and dry out the skin.

Popped into Snakebite today and they said leave it without salt for two days, then a quarter teaspoon to a pint of boiled water. Apparently half a teaspoon is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

my misteak

No worries, 'tis what I had thought myself too. :) Incidentally, it's been pretty itchy for a few days, wondering if anyone might know what's causing this and how to fix it? Is it common? Meant to ask in Snakebite yestersday, but it slipped my mind.

No worries, 'tis what I had thought myself too. :) Incidentally, it's been pretty itchy for a few days, wondering if anyone might know what's causing this and how to fix it? Is it common? Meant to ask in Snakebite yestersday, but it slipped my mind.

Itchey= healing
    usually in any case.

grand so then, thanks. :)

Advertisement