Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnishin oak doors and stairs

Options
  • 14-06-2006 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Im about to start to varnish my solid oak doors and stairs and i need to know what type of varnish to use
    i have phoned around for price quotes and i cant afford a painter.
    Anybody got any idea of how many coats of varnish,type of varnish,or are dyes needed?it has to be hard wearing for the stairs but i wont be using laquear
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Doors - 3 coats of ronseal satincoat applied with a roller suitable for varnish and cut in with a brush in the inserts of the door. Light sanding between coats.

Stairs - Ronseal diamond coat. Harder wearing that satin coat applied by brush or roller. Three coats and light sand in between,

Applied in light coats and done well, the roller will give a finish similar to having the doors sprayed. Quick too and a hell of a lot cheaper than spraying. With roller and brush, I could varnish a door, both sides and all cutting in etc., in less than 5 mins. Make sure the coats are ligh or you'll have runs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Avns1s wrote:
    Doors - 3 coats of ronseal satincoat applied with a roller suitable for varnish and cut in with a brush in the inserts of the door. Light sanding between coats.

Stairs - Ronseal diamond coat. Harder wearing that satin coat applied by brush or roller. Three coats and light sand in between,

Applied in light coats and done well, the roller will give a finish similar to having the doors sprayed. Quick too and a hell of a lot cheaper than spraying. With roller and brush, I could varnish a door, both sides and all cutting in etc., in less than 5 mins. Make sure the coats are ligh or you'll have runs!
    thanks mate

Advertisement