Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed : What is 1515 444 002 premium rate phone number

Options
  • 14-06-2006 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First off, I wasn't sure where to post this

I've just got my phone bill in recently and saw some premium numbers listed, they were all the same number. We don't call premium numbers from our house so was a little concerned.

I rang the number to see what it was and it turned out to be a modem or fax machine. My first reaction was that it was a rouge dialer on one of my computers. I immediatly discounted that as none of the computers are connected to the phone line. The number is 1515444002 and hasn't racked up a huge cost yet but the potential is there.

The only devices that are connected to the phone line [not including DSL] are a few phones and the SKY box.

I'm almost sure that it wasn't somebody messing about with premium stuff on the SKY box as it was at a time when nobody was in the house. I really have no idea how this could have happened as it would be quite silly for someone to pick up the phone to ring a fax machine or modem.

This is the portion of the itemised bill.

26/05/06 10:05:18 1515444002 00:00:24 0.83
    26/05/06 12:01:15 1515444002 00:00:23 0.83
    26/05/06 15:42:55 1515444002 00:00:24 0.83

As you can see, it only cost about €2 but that's not the point. I would like to find out who this number belongs to, how it was rung and to stop it.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Keith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hmmmm, small update. I broadened my search to "what are 1515 numbers" in google and came across this site...

http://www.dometelecom.com/1call/index.php

Now it may not have been this exact service butsomebody must have been in the house and using my line to make cheap mobile calls for themselves. Someone is going to get the slaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

IrishTLR wrote:
    Hmmmm, small update. I broadened my search to "what are 1515 numbers" in google and came across this site...

http://www.dometelecom.com/1call/index.php

Now it may not have been this exact service butsomebody must have been in the house and using my line to make cheap mobile calls for themselves. Someone is going to get the slaps.
    According to Comreg, Premium Rate numbers are in the range 1520xxxxxx to 1580xxxxxx, and are regulated by Regtel (www.regtel.ie). Even though they don't mention 151* numbers, it might be worth calling them at CallSave 1850 741 741 or e-mailing them at info@regtel.ie to see if they have any info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

IrishTLR wrote:
    Someone is going to get the slaps.
    Somebody showed sense, I would say.
    If you have to call to any international landline number from your mobile, you would be stupid to pay the stupendously high mobile operators' tariffs. Companies, like for example www.airtalk.ie offer really good value with the help of premium service numbers. In the case of airtalk, you simply ring their 1520 300 300 number, which costs 20 cent/minute (per second billing) from an O2 mobile (slightly more from voda/meteor and 3) and as soon as you are through to them dial the full landline number (no pressing the enter button this time) and you'll be on to the desired international landline, all at a cost of 20 cent per minute.
    For calls to international mobiles from your mobile, a more costly 1530 300 300 number (45 cent per minute from an O2 mobile), is available.
    Have a look at the rate checker on the www.airtalk.ie website.

A very useful use of Premium Service Numbers. No need to buy cards, which will be lost, not fully used up etc. or services where you need to set up an account and lodge a deposit, or the service which you mention, where one buys a certain amount of minutes, which one then has to use up..
    P.

I would absolutely agree that is would be sense, but let them use their own phone, not mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

IrishTLR wrote:
    Hi,

First off, I wasn't sure where to post this

I've just got my phone bill in recently and saw some premium numbers listed, they were all the same number. We don't call premium numbers from our house so was a little concerned.

I rang the number to see what it was and it turned out to be a modem or fax machine. My first reaction was that it was a rouge dialer on one of my computers. I immediatly discounted that as none of the computers are connected to the phone line. The number is 1515444002 and hasn't racked up a huge cost yet but the potential is there.

The only devices that are connected to the phone line [not including DSL] are a few phones and the SKY box.

I'm almost sure that it wasn't somebody messing about with premium stuff on the SKY box as it was at a time when nobody was in the house. I really have no idea how this could have happened as it would be quite silly for someone to pick up the phone to ring a fax machine or modem.

This is the portion of the itemised bill.

26/05/06 10:05:18 1515444002 00:00:24 0.83
    26/05/06 12:01:15 1515444002 00:00:23 0.83
    26/05/06 15:42:55 1515444002 00:00:24 0.83

As you can see, it only cost about €2 but that's not the point. I would like to find out who this number belongs to, how it was rung and to stop it.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Keith

The numbers you have listed are the games on sky channels, ie mostly the childrens channels, lucky you, i just got a 126 yoyo bill courtesy of my 5 year old.

The only way to stop access is to call eircom or who ever your connected to phone wise and ask them to be blocked.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Carnate wrote:
    The numbers you have listed are the games on sky channels, ie mostly the childrens channels, lucky you, i just got a 126 yoyo bill courtesy of my 5 year old.

The only way to stop access is to call eircom or who ever your connected to phone wise and ask them to be blocked.

Hope this helps

Cheers for that. It is all starting to make sense now. Luckily I didn't get done for too much. Sky is now gone a few months so it won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

On Sky you can block pay use or set a limit. See Services Parental Control.

Once you are past 1st year you can disconnect phone line on Sky if you don't have a mirror sub. Or cancel altogether and have just all the free BBC & ITV etc (about 45 watchable channels) and 70 radio. Unlike cable you own the equipment.

Advertisement