Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which nightclub?

Options
  • 14-06-2006 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Well y'all,

Have lived in Galway for many a year now but am SICK of upstairs in Cuba for some half-decent muzac, any suggestions for an alternative night out? Am likin the new Roisin Dubh........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Booradleys!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Glenman wrote:
    Booradleys!
    Do Badleys. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's certainly alternative, alternative to good.
    *pats self on back*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Sparkles wrote:
    Well y'all,

Have lived in Galway for many a year now but am SICK of upstairs in Cuba for some half-decent muzac, any suggestions for an alternative night out? Am likin the new Roisin Dubh........

Looks like your answered your own question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i hear stranos is good for that kind of thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sparkles wrote:
    Have lived in Galway for many a year now but am SICK of upstairs in Cuba for some half-decent muzac, any suggestions for an alternative night out?

I don't know if you're HARDCORE enough, but.....downstairs in Cuba

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

HavoK wrote:
    I don't know if you're HARDCORE enough, but.....downstairs in Cuba

So you can roshambo with intoxicated TopMan and Next patrons?

Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

I'd say give up mate, night clubs these days don't even play quality dance music (bar the odd w/end at the GPO) never mind decent alternative. I just stick to Late bars if I'm out, the roisin is pretty good though for music but can be busy and sometimes polluted with the arty farty types:rolleyes: .

SyxPak wrote:
    So you can roshambo with intoxicated TopMan and Next patrons?

Where do I sign up?

Next is alright,got some good stuff in there .As for Topman its Gay literally.Id rather pick up a top and a pair of jeans in Next for 70 snots than pay at least 100 snots for just the jeans in most mens stores in town.That was the case before the English branch shops arrived.I used to get jeans in Twist etc but now their prices are just crazy.At least 120 bucks for a pair of jeans :eek:
    Last time i looked the whole town is intoxicated on anygiven night,but i know what you mean,larger louts with pink tshirts.

Thank you Celtic Tyrant.

And they're never in the right size.

• Advertisement

Correct most of the time they seem to cater for skinny midgets or fat 7 footers.But now and again you can pick something up.But ya know the score if ya can get something for a few bucks less its more money for going out.
    HMV was also a godsend.Mulligans,Redlight and especially Zhavigo were charging redicolus prices now they have great offers all the time and in general seem cheaper than HMV.If it cuts down prices then im all for it.

I don't mind [too much] spending a bit of money on a pair of pants if they're worth it.
    I buy Ecco shoes as they generally last me 2-3 years, they're waterproof, soften up nicely and look decent enough.
    It's a shame you can't buy a good pair of hemp trousers or 'proper' combats in Galway, it's stronger and (I believe with wear) softer than cotton. The Army 'n Navy store charging 40-60-80 euro for a pair of made-in-sweatshop combats that don't fit right, have sh1t zippers and are too narrow on the leg (I likes a bit of bagginess) annoys me a tad. They're still better than the utter muck pushed about by Next, Topman, River Island etc. They're overpriced mass-produced fashion clothing.
    As for Hanleys, Brown Thomas and Twist - far too much of a stick up their arse. No choice unless you're metro sexual.
    Not a chance of some smooth sharp ( Yakuza ) clothes at a reasonable price.

Anthony Ryans have some decent socks though. I likes them when I'm looking for something special/formal.

The alternate/sk8terboi-grl shops piss me off a bit. They should demarcate the boundary between women's and men's clothes with neon signs and strippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Spending all my money on computer stuff and the like, I shop - without shame let it be known - in Dunnes for their quality 8 quid jeans.

On a serious note though, those loose fit jeans are the most comfy pair I've ever owned of anything....:D

Usually when I'm going out I just steal a shirt or good jumper outta my auld fellas wardrobe....the joys of living at home, so much money saved...strangely even though he doesn't really wear them much he has stacks of tommy hilfiger stuff? So its all good.

Anyway. moral of the story. Eh...? Whatever.

SyxPak wrote:
    I don't mind [too much] spending a bit of money on a pair of pants if they're worth it.
    I buy Ecco shoes as they generally last me 2-3 years, they're waterproof, soften up nicely and look decent enough.
    It's a shame you can't buy a good pair of hemp trousers or 'proper' combats in Galway, it's stronger and (I believe with wear) softer than cotton. The Army 'n Navy store charging 40-60-80 euro for a pair of made-in-sweatshop combats that don't fit right, have sh1t zippers and are too narrow on the leg (I likes a bit of bagginess) annoys me a tad. They're still better than the utter muck pushed about by Next, Topman, River Island etc. They're overpriced mass-produced fashion clothing.
    As for Hanleys, Brown Thomas and Twist - far too much of a stick up their arse. No choice unless you're metro sexual.
    Not a chance of some smooth sharp ( Yakuza ) clothes at a reasonable price.

Anthony Ryans have some decent socks though. I likes them when I'm looking for something special/formal.

The alternate/sk8terboi-grl shops piss me off a bit. They should demarcate the boundary between women's and men's clothes with neon signs and strippers.

Jeez Syxpak your leaving very little places their for us to shop witthout being repremanded.Im not defending topshop here, but the clothes in Hanleys,Twist and Brown Thomas are mass produced exactly the same way as the clothes in Topshop , Riverisland and Next.Its pretty obvious the clothes made here arent built to last more for peoples tastes and sesons whatever that maybe.
    All the big expensive brands for example, Polo,Hilfigher,Hugo Boss etc are all mass produced too for feck all ,so your not nessecarily paying for better quality just the label.
    Army and Navy isnt my cup of tea but obviously combat gear is made to be abused.Like Ecco shoes go for ages take alot of **** but IMO dont look great but i still wouldnt be without mine.
    Anyway i dont spent much money on clothes anymore,for special occasions i dont mind forking out but for everyday use anythings fine with me.Ive better things to be spending money on than how i look.
    Im just glad there is a bit of variety in Galway now.Makes the city what it is with all walks of life.You can find suits and **** kickers in the same pubs happy out..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

i shop in the Enable Ireland shop on high street. its fun...

padi89 wrote:
    Jeez Syxpak your leaving very little places their for us to shop witthout being repremanded.Im not defending topshop here, but the clothes in Hanleys,Twist and Brown Thomas are mass produced exactly the same way as the clothes in Topshop , Riverisland and Next.Its pretty obvious the clothes made here arent built to last more for peoples tastes and sesons whatever that maybe.
    All the big expensive brands for example, Polo,Hilfigher,Hugo Boss etc are all mass produced too for feck all ,so your not nessecarily paying for better quality just the label.
    Army and Navy isnt my cup of tea but obviously combat gear is made to be abused.Like Ecco shoes go for ages take alot of **** but IMO dont look great but i still wouldnt be without mine.
    Anyway i dont spent much money on clothes anymore,for special occasions i dont mind forking out but for everyday use anythings fine with me.Ive better things to be spending money on than how i look.
    Im just glad there is a bit of variety in Galway now.Makes the city what it is with all walks of life.You can find suits and **** kickers in the same pubs happy out..:D

I've an engineering streak in me, function before form. Aesthetics have their place, but are far from the driving force behind purchase decisions I make wrt day-to-day wear.
    I've gladly bought some cheaper pants and stuff in Topman when I was stuck, and never expected them to last, but they were still 20-30euro. If I wanted something that'd tear like tissue, I'd wear Andrex. When I put money across the counter, I expect to get something of equivalent worth. Considering the margin on the clothes, I fscking hate hi-street clothes shops in general. It's offensive to see some of the price-tags.
    You don't slap a nice paint job on a Ford Ka and then demand €50,000 for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Buy all your stuff in Chaos.
    Maybe this should be moved to F/AP it has become so ghey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

HavoK wrote:
    Spending all my money on computer stuff and the like, I shop - without shame let it be known - in Dunnes for their quality 8 quid jeans.

I cannot say enough good things about those 8 quid Dunnnes jeans. They've lasted longer than any €60+ pair of pants I've bought in the past. I've had some absolutely spiffing cords before, but they just fall apart rather quickly.

The cords in jack & Jones are serving me well, were 30 quid.
    Cheap jeans ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

You metrosexuals and your fashion... Does my bum look big in this? YES! NOW PISS OFF, YOU SKANK WHORE!
    Sparkles wrote:
    Any suggestions for an alternative night out? Am likin the new Roisin Dubh........

Drum and bass night in An Pucan will melt your face to a small sizzling, bubbling puddle of mucus and bone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Drum and bass night in An Pucan will melt your face to a small sizzling, bubbling puddle of mucus and bone
    damn straight
    i quite enjoyed the last one i went to (2 weeks ago)

tman wrote:
    damn straight
    i quite enjoyed the last one i went to (2 weeks ago)

What night? Wouldn't mind a bit of a stomp.

SyxPak wrote:
    What night? Wouldn't mind a bit of a stomp.

I think it's usually Saturday nights... I could be wrong here!

A stomp you will! Mwhahahaha...

It's really good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i think it's thursday, the night i was there was probably my most surreal night out in galway ever.

JIZZLORD wrote:
    the night i was there was probably my most surreal night out in galway ever.

Hahahaha... Sounds about right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The drum and bass night is usually on Saturday afaik but they have special gigs on Thurdays sometimes. They had Exile and Ceephax on a Thursday there a while ago which is pretty cool but I missed it due to exams :(

Anima wrote:
    The drum and bass night is usually on Saturday afaik but they have special gigs on Thurdays sometimes. They had Exile and Ceephax on a Thursday there a while ago which is pretty cool but I missed it due to exams :(

Aye... It was a Saturday night I was at. It was most excellent... randomness guaranteed!

Red's seal of approval:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Jippo!

Upstairs in the Pucan on saturdays too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

Glad to see the sudden, unexpected and quite terrifying bout of homosexuality is over and we got back to the original question!! Bitchin bout jeans??? Jebus.......Yeah have heard bout the Pucan but as of yet have not sampled the delights/completely forgot bout it......must mosey on over an have a sniff about

• Advertisement

I bought a pair of 3/4 lengths recently for €11, and people were like "Oooohhh.. Dem's nice! Where jew get dem's? I bets dey weres expensive!"

And I got a pair of cargo trousers (which I'm currently wearing) for €17!

Ahhh.. Pennys!

Advertisement