Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris Sol 1l or 1.3??

Options
  • 15-06-2006 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

My mother has finally nearly come to a decision after months of bandying ideas of s/h corolla (really wanted) or focus (down a good bit on the corolla)

Now she's lookin at a brand new Yaris. It'll be the first brand new car so she's a bit worried about depreciation, but not so much that she can't be persuaded that the 1.3l (which she wants) ay be difficult to re-sell.

All she wants to know is which is better to drive.

The deal will be good (trade in about 600 overvalued on a Xsara) as it'll be bought from family. My uncle has said the 1.3 will obviously be a slightly more powerful engine being 4 cyl and all, but that the 1l will be much easier on resale (as he'll likely be the one who has to shift it again in 2/3 yrs)

It'll be the top spec Sol with knee & curtain airbags MP3 Alloys Fogs etc. Unfortunately she can't stretch to the Lux Pack (keyless + climate control).

Basically all she wants to know is which drives better. Anyone driven the 1.3 as there isn't currently one in stock to test. (should be soon)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

1.3L all the way. I can't understand why anyone would want a 1.0L unless they were about 17 and facing astronomical insurance quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It depends what kind of use and driving she does.

If the car is only going to be used around town and the odd country trip then I would save myself money on tax/insurance/fuel and opt for the 1.0 litre. Yes it is a 3 cylinder unit and may not be as smooth as the 1.3 litre 4 cylinder but is perfect for town driving giving excellent fuel economy. And as you said alot easier to sell on afterwards.

If the car is going to be used for long trips on motorways, etc then the 1.3 litre will definately be better for this. On a motorway, etc the 1.3 litre would probably be more fuel efficent, quieter and refined than the 1.0 litre as it has less strain. The 1.3 litre will definately be alot harder to sell afterwards as this is Corolla territory as regards engine size. Most people would opt for the roomier Corolla, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes it is a 3 cylinder unit and may not be as smooth as the 1.3 litre 4 cylinder

I have heard that the 3 cyl unit is very rough altogether, but yeah it totally depends on the type of driving she does....if she doesn't care about or like driving then it really won't make too much of a difference....just remember the new yaris is quite a bit bigger than the old one and that 3 cyl 1 litre may be underpowered.maybe I'll go test drivin tomorrow!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I am not sure on the engine noise of the new Yarii but the old one was grand with the other engine. The 1 litre Yaris not too far off the accelleration of a 1.4 VW Golf and is probably the fastest 1 litre around on the road today, unless your mother is going to be doing alot of country road driving with a car full of passengers I would go with the 1 litre model as it will be alot cheaper to own and run in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have never heard a rough toyota engine! Even the 1.0 in the starlet of 20 years ago was smooth in comparison to the tappety Fiestas of the day.

I'd imagine the extra running costs for 1.3 over a 1.0 wouldn't be much for a non-17yr old as Stark said.

I really think the day when a simple 1.0 was enough for a yaris/fiesta sized car is gone. That segment has got so much bigger and heavier in recent years they do do need the bit extra. You have to go to Agyoland if you want a car as small as the original starlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

I don't go along with the idea that a 1.0 would be easier to sell on than the 1.3. That might have been the case 10-15 years ago when the country was a lot less afluent. Nowadays you try selling on a base model car privately and see how hard it is. My wife changes her Polo every year and we've found that no one wants the base model 1.2 55hp version. Its a buyers market and the buyer will try and get as much bang for their buck as possible.
    The difference in tax+fuel comsumption between and 1.0 and 1.3 isn't a deal breaker for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Thanks for the replies. Wel the other family car is mine, it's a 1l Corsa which is basically very sluggish unless u drive in 2nd gear at 50 kph, so something more comfortable is in order

Well dad'll be usin it every now and again for work and he travels 40 miles to and from mainly on dual carriageway.

the difference with the polo is there isn't a 1l so buyers have the 55bhp or 65 bhp option at no extra running cost

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've driven both engines, and the 1.3 is smoother in a way, the strange thing is the 1.0 has loads of character and the noise isn't entirely unpleasant. The 1.3 can be noisier at high speeds where the 1.0 is really refined.

on the outgoing model 1.0 Yaris generally sell quicker than 1.3, but as the Yaris is getting bigger, I don't expect that a 1.3 will hurt its resale at all. and a Sol model 1.3 in the right colour (Lunar Silver, Satin Silver, Cosmic Blue) would be a real gem second hand. #

I reckon the Aygo will fill the gap for 1st time drivers seeking a 1.0

I'd say go for the 1.3, it's only €600 odd more than the 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

colm_mcm wrote:
    I've driven both engines, and the 1.3 is smoother in a way, the strange thing is the 1.0 has loads of character and the noise isn't entirely unpleasant. The 1.3 can be noisier at high speeds where the 1.0 is really refined.

on the outgoing model 1.0 Yaris generally sell quicker than 1.3, but as the Yaris is getting bigger, I don't expect that a 1.3 will hurt its resale at all. and a Sol model 1.3 in the right colour (Lunar Silver, Satin Silver, Cosmic Blue) would be a real gem second hand. #

I reckon the Aygo will fill the gap for 1st time drivers seeking a 1.0

I'd say go for the 1.3, it's only €600 odd more than the 1.0

Great to find this topic. Just had a conversation with wife and decided to go for a 07 Yaris. She will be commuting from Newbridge to Dublin so we reckoned that a 1.3 multi-mode transmission would be her choice. I was wondering if the M/M comes in the Sol variant? I would definitively like the new car to have a/c.
    We will be trading in her 97 jap import Nissan Micra so hoping it will get us some 1700-2000 Eu as the mileage is low.
    The 5 door Luna goes for 17700 Eu. Can anyone comment what would an "recommended" price b for this model be. I know that some dealers will drop as much as 10% but honestly, not sure if Toyota will do this!
    When would the best time be to order the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

regedit wrote:
    Just had a conversation with wife and decided to go for a 07 Yaris

PM colm_mcm. He'll sort you out

• Advertisement

I was talking to Colm myself and he told me the 13 isn't worth having unless you're a "fast" driver and that the MM isn't really worth the money unless you really need an automatic

Did anyone consider the 1.4 Diesel!
    Does anyone drive it indeed or is that engine simply to powerful for the car? I am under the impression that it is the same engine as the 1.4 D Corolla

The 1.4 D4-D has pangs of Toyota syndrome. It's only available in the Terra which is pretty basic. If they put it in the better specs they'd get somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

regedit wrote:
    I know that some dealers will drop as much as 10% but honestly, not sure if Toyota will do this!

I would be suprised if any dealer would do this because then there making a loss, as to the engine noise i find it fine in the car it adds character to the
    car it never get annoying,When it comes to reselling a 1.3 Sol dont expect to get anymore than 500-700 over a Terra

Ive only driven the Yaris in town and on country roads and ive found it real easy to drive and solid (First car ive driven), ive also driven the aygo and it is a little bit noisier the yaris just has a little more sound deadining

I could not believe but I got an email from a Toyota dealer to confirm that the Toyota Yaris 1.3 MM does not come with air conditioning. Furthermore, even if one wants a/c as an extra option, they do not provide it. The only Yaris with an option for a/c is the Sol. Very hard to believe but rang Toyota Ireland and the lady explained that what I was told is true. AFAIK, in UK and the continent, every single Yaris comes with A/C as standard.
    Are we so mean here not to want even a/c. Mind you, most of the new golfs here do not have even alloys-not to mentione a/c!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maidhc wrote:
    I have never heard a rough toyota engine! Even the 1.0 in the starlet of 20 years ago was smooth in comparison to the tappety Fiestas of the day.

I was beside a new ( not sure exactly what year but shape and condition looked no more than 1 -2 years old) yaris in traffic today that was ticking very loudly.

Might have had more to do with the driving it's recieved tho.:) the girl look v young and probably thought herself to drive in it.

regedit wrote:
    I could not believe but I got an email from a Toyota dealer to confirm that the Toyota Yaris 1.3 MM does not come with air conditioning. Furthermore, even if one wants a/c as an extra option, they do not provide it. The only Yaris with an option for a/c is the Sol. Very hard to believe but rang Toyota Ireland and the lady explained that what I was told is true. AFAIK, in UK and the continent, every single Yaris comes with A/C as standard.
    Are we so mean here not to want even a/c. Mind you, most of the new golfs here do not have even alloys-not to mentione a/c!

I hadn't realised not that it matters much anyway. My dad'd rather not have it sucking petrol. But it's 1700 for that pack I think.

EasyStart, Climate Control and to cap it all (sarc) silver look door handles and handbrake button

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

You'd probably import it from the UK with all the extras for the same price as the basic model here.

You'd probably import it from the UK with all the extras for the same price as the basic model here.
    Priced it last week. 18500 before VRT.. probably 4-5k on something new. 22k on a Yaris doesn't appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

moot point. different degrees of slow IMO.

• Advertisement

It's untrue that all models in UK and on the continent have aircon.

Ordered the Yaris Sol1.3 with the liuxury pack on the 23.08 I think hoping to get it in by the first days of January 2007.
    The price is steep but you are getting a good car.
    The order made through Denis Mahony in Finglas (off the M50) and I managed to get a much better offer than Murphy and Gunn in Rathgar were offering. We were trading in the 1997 Micra and he have us 1300 for it and he gave us a 1350 discount oon the Yaris. Murphy and Gunn were doing a 600 Eu discount and 500 Eu for the Micra!
    Awaiting and ETA from the dealer these days.

it's 5 months delivery to my knowledge.

colm_mcm wrote:
    it's 5 months delivery to my knowledge.

Fingers X that it will arrive by January!

Might I suggest getting side mouldings?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Might I suggest getting side mouldings?

What's the price for them Colm.

I was so happy when the salesperson in DM told me that they would be able to ointegrate the car alarm (which we got as an extra) in the original toyota "key"(less)entry

regedit wrote:
    What's the price for them Colm.

I was so happy when the salesperson in DM told me that they would be able to ointegrate the car alarm (which we got as an extra) in the original toyota "key"(less)entry

Check with the service dept. They won't have done one before.

The mouldings are under €100 but well worth it. those doors are very vulnerabe without them.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Check with the service dept. They won't have done one before.

The mouldings are under €100 but well worth it. those doors are very vulnerabe without them.

Thanks.
    Was just doing a quick search to see what they look like in the 06 Yaris but so far no luck. I guess will have to go down to dealer and see what they have. 100€ definitively worth spending when you know what sort or careless drivers one can see out there

Advertisement