Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush

Options
  • 15-06-2006 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I've been listening to Moving Pictures pretty much all day today, and I've just been compelled to say, what a damn fine band. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

Weird, I just put that CD on just before I saw this thread. I've been listening to it a lot recently actually. I'm particularly fond of Red Barchetta and Vital Signs at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

and moving pictures isnt the best album...
    try 2112 from the old stuff or hold your fire from some new stuff.
    went to see than about two years ago in london...
    been listing to them since i was a wee man(older brothers albums)

best band in the world, giddy alex and niel rock

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

You gotta go for Exit stage left!!!:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mikep wrote:
    You gotta go for Exit stage left!!!:D :D:D

Oh yeah, that's the one.

Their Live in Rio is pretty good.

Personally, I'm not that fond of them post 'Hold Your Fire'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Oh yeah, that's the one.

Their Live in Rio is pretty good.

Personally, I'm not that fond of them post 'Hold Your Fire'.

you wouldn't be a big fan of presto so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've been meaning to pick up more stuff by them for ages. Great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

'Moving Pictures' is my own favourite Rush album, but there's lots of their stuff that I like, older & newer albums. From the newer end of things I'd recommend 'Counterparts', from 1993. More 'rock' with less keyboards on it, emphasis being on guitar, bass & drums.

'2112', 'Hempisheres' & 'A Farewell To Kings' are worth getting too.

And a good sampler of their live stuff would be 'Different Stages' - 3 CD's, 2 recorded in the 90's, the 3rd from 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Baggio, you're getting old man...

A thread about Rush, 8 posts already and no sign of you yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I've got 2112, but it doesn't do much for me tbh. :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've not listened to 'em in a while, but they are amazing.

All the World's a Stage is my favourite live album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Nothing beats 2112! such an amazing piece of work! the title track is damn good and the rest are great too especially Passage to Bangkok and the Twilight Zone, oh and Something for Nothing's a great song too, I think ill give the album a listen right now in fact! "We are the priests! Of the Temples of Syrinx!!" I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Lads, does anyone have Baggio's number? I think he might have had a heart attack pounding the big red monster, still no response. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Lads, does anyone have Baggio's number? I think he might have had a heart attack pounding the big red monster, still no response. :p

I'm frightened now! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Hemispheres FTW

This was my introduction to Rush, who were, at first, "That band with the guy who sounds like Cyndi Lauper", but that album still amazes me. 4 songs, about 45 minutes long, but it's an album that I can (and have) listen to over and over . . .

Roll the Bones is also pretty good, 'specially "Where's My Thing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Picked up R30 recently and was amazed. It's great that 2 old truckdrivers and a schoolteacher can kick bootay like that. :)

My favorite has always been Moving Pictures, but a lot of other songs from other albums are great.

My favorite 're-discovery' right now is...ummm...can't remember the title, but it goes "we are young...wandering on the face of the earth...wondering what our dreams might be worth..."

Rustar wrote:
    My favorite 're-discovery' right now is...ummm...can't remember the title, but it goes "we are young...wandering on the face of the earth...wondering what our dreams might be worth..."

That's 'Dreamline', the opening track on 'Roll The Bones'. Great song!

'Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still no baggio? Call me crazy but I like Roll the Bones and Presto a lot now, but did'nt much at the time. Me fires up "Wheres My Thing"

Mike.

'Roll The Bones' is great, in fact I can remember it scoring higher in reviews (well in Metal Hammer anyway) than Metallica's 'Black Album' when it was released (august 91).

'Presto' is underrated IMO. 'Superconductor' is a really good tune, so is 'Show Don't Tell' & 'Red Tide'. I don't like the production on it though, originally I thought it was just a dodgy copy on a C90 I had but when I eventually got it on CD I noticed how weak & tinny it sounded. 'Hold Your Fire' on the other hand, still sounds fresh to my ears. I could listen to 'Prime Mover' over & over again. In fact I'm listening to it right now. :)

Robert Hines production was why I did'nt like it at first, coming after the Peter Collins bright shiny Hold Your Fire and Power Windows it sounded weak and dull, but the songs are great and ultimatly thats whats you listen to.

Just a heads up - on Shoutcast there's 24 hrs Rush channel - fill your boots! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've still got Moving Pictures on. :)

Really should get more Rush, apart from the aforementioned album, I've got the Rush in Rio DVD, which is very cool indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

I've got the Rush in Rio DVD, which is very cool indeed.

As much as i like Rush i cant seem to watch that DVD for any substanstial period of time, it kind of bores me after a while for some reason. Im kinda like that with Rush in general, listen to a few of their songs at a time and move on, never a whole album (except 2112). Neil Peart's Drum solo on the Rush In Rio DVD is brilliant though.

Roll the Bones is a damn great song, i just love how it sounds a a whole.

Im quite partial to a bit of the "Signals" album aswell, but as i said, not too much at a time.

Oh yeah and Caress Of Steel is brilliant!! The Necromancer is such a good song!, and Bastille Day, actually all of it is great except Lakeside park, it gets boring after a minute or so

Picture of Rush in the eighties. Man, that mullet Geddy has in this pic was a BAD decision, and when did Tom Hanks join Rush?

mike65 wrote:
    Robert Hines production was why I did'nt like it at first, coming after the Peter Collins bright shiny Hold Your Fire and Power Windows it sounded weak and dull, but the songs are great and ultimatly thats whats you listen to

Hine produced 'RTB' as well but that wasn't as tinny. But you're right, it's the songs that were great.

There should be a new album fairly soon (sometime this year, I think).

Re Roll the Bones, not sure rap is the Rush way! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

well welll...
    ..you lads crack me up...:p ..is ok..Im stilll alive,,just!!,,had a hectic run around the racetrack and did some stuff to get sharp for drumming rehearsals tonight but after a feed now, and ...I find this amaaaazing thread....welll done folks :D

Well first of all..best thing about thse guys is that like queen or zep or any great band theres something for everyone in their music..theirs always SOMETHING that anyone can like,,,their soo versatile...as the lads in sepultra once said "a 3 piece band that sounds like an orchestra!"

Anyway glad yu folks are into/getting into them well worth it for any rock/metal fan and major worth it for any musician I remember an interview a while back with the guys from primus saying that veryy thing.."any yung guys out there wanna play music?......Rush are the band to listen to!"

Oh and I read today that rush in rio went triple platinum and rush r30 went 5 times platinum..!!,,,now wether thats the states or canada not sure but thats the word.....rio was 2nd biggest selling dvd of the year in THE US that year,was it 2002 or 2003?..cant remmber,,and all from a band without ever a top 10 hit if ya like...pretty startling if yu ask me.

Finally gooood news...their new batch of new releases was released this week ,,by all reports is flying out the stores in USA and Canada possibly UK too...its the box set of DVD's of their 3 initial live video's now put onto dvd ..thats exit stage left, grace under pressure tour and a show of hands ..all in one box set,,,,willl be a tremendous collection to have and are great to watch...."Exit" highlight is Xanadu,,with lifeson and lee with their 2 big double necks!!..lee's was the first ever bass/six string custom double neck by rickenbacker...watch em go!!,,and pearts amazing percussion outfit around his drumset ouch!!!

Soo there ya go folks..it's all happening with the 3 mastercrafstmen and a new album out by end of year...tour ro follow and i WILL be there!!!

ciao' amigos....Baggio.............

Thanks for that update, Baggio! :)

If you ever need to know anything about Rush, just ask Baggio, the One-Stop-Rush-Shop! :p

oops forgot to say title of new dvd box set is:

Rush replay x3

enjoy...ciao' amigos..Baggio.....

:D:D Ancient1 yu crack me up yu nutball :)

ciao...amigo...Baggio...

ReplayX3.jpg

Nice!

Baggio wrote:
    Soo there ya go folks..it's all happening with the 3 mastercrafstmen and a new album out by end of year...tour ro follow and i WILL be there!!!

So are you gonna start the 'Rush for Dublin' petition then? ;)

• Advertisement

Gosh never thought of them coming here!!,,wouldnt it be something...at last! some real class in Dublin..ahh well..i doubt if theyd come here to be honest..ill go to london or birmingham to see them next time , cheap flight and to see the worlds greatest band in action..ahhhh tiz bliss! ;)

ciao amigos...Baggio,,,,,,,,,

Advertisement