Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've got this horrible feeling they'll play next year right in the middle of my Leaving....

They should do a show here, it'd rock! Although I could see myself and my friend(we'd be 18) surrounded by a crowd far older than us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hey, I'd sign that petition. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Love Rush! I have 2112 and A Farewell to Kings, both fantastic albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just bought 2112 today for €12, my first Rush album. All I can say after first listen is...Wow! They are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Mushy,
    ...goood on ya...welll All I can say...is ,,,there's lots more where that came from bud! :)

ciao'...Baggio....

• Advertisement

footnote sorry to hog Boards folks!

just so folks understand,,,their music spans 30 years, a lad on here said 1 album i recomended sounded veryy 80's - welll they never stood stilll kept with the times,,,ie if yu want 70's Rush its there ..or 80's Rush..its there....or if ya wanted 90's Rush..its there!. they never stood still :) ..
    So again if yu want 70'srock go for 2112, a farewell to kings or hemispheres, 80's rock try permananet waves, moving pictures, signals, grace under presssure, power windows, hold your fire.....90's rock...try presto, roll the bones, counterparts, 20th century!!,,Vapor Trails!..and alll their live albums, in between...which were usually released at the end of each era rather than any greatest hits collections etc

is all goood..ciao' amigos....Baggio.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

As someone who only got into the band in the last few years, I'd recommend Rush In Rio dvd as a fantastic starting place for anyone keen to dip their toe in. It covers pretty much the band's entire career and showcases just how good the guys are. Great, great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I knew i had heard Rush before. My friend made me listen to Passage to bangkok years ago but i kept thinking it was Train to Bangkok. Damn chorus line. 2112 is a great album. Have played it so much since Tuesday. Goes down as one of the classic things i have bought for under €15 so easily

Best part about 2112 is you can listen to it for months purely for the musical brilliance, and then you listen to the lyrics and read the captions that go along with the song and you find out about the song's intriguing story.

Haven't listened to it in a while, I'll put it on later.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,012 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Irish Rush fans? wah! i didnt know they existed. i thoought i was the only one...
    and no, theres is no way in hell they will ever *ever* play here. a sad sad thing really.
    as a matter of interest, what are your thoughts on their 90's/latest albums? my dad had me listening to their 70's / early 80's stuff since i was but a wee baby, so i was never really exposed to anything after.
    its only in the last three or four years ive been getting my hands on the latest stuff, and i have to say, i find it absolutely awful. l i nearly cry whenever i hear them as i think theyre so bad.
    what the hell happened?!! vapour trails is horiffic. well, i think so anyway. Rush for me basically end with grace under pressure. irionically enough, it was released the year i was born.
    *gasp* i killed Rush

• Advertisement

How goes it,
    ....welll some interesting thoughts there for sure.......I think to be honest nearly all their fans really idolize the classic rock stuff of Hemispheres, a farewell to kings , 2112, permananet waves and moving pix to be honest and even back to fly by night and carress of steel....I get that for sure...was so original and challenging ,,,but Id have to say,,unlike many bands...they HAD to change, if they had stayed playing that style only,,,theyd have died years ago...The 80's for me saw music change all over the place,,,and they just responded in kind, they kept their hard rock edge,,,but just adjusted to the times,,as they did in 90's and now this near era if ya like.
    Personally...I honestly cant think fo any album I dont like...Id say oddly enough Carress Of Steel is the one I get least out of..simply because the sound of it .,..is kinda undercooked somehow...theres some amazing stuff on there and all the metal heads on here should get a listen to @The Necromancer@..a real classic section of blistering guitar and drums work on that!
    But I like what theyv done since...Hold Your Fire and Grace under Pressure and Power Windows are real 80's albums but theres some really awsome musicianship on all those albums....Between The Wheels played for the first time ever ..on last tour was the highlight for many people it was just sooo well done excellent. Hold Your Fire has the most variety of styles of any of their albums and is a real fave of mine,,some terrific stuff on that.
    90's albums?...i like Presto its veryy stripped down..perhaps just a litte TOO stripped down..but has some great songs on there..Roll The Bones too...veryy steely kind of production on both by the producer,,,which doesnt help em ...but live ,.,.those songs from those 2 are really goood.
    Vapor Trails...yeahh interesting thoughts there...well in fairness,,was their comback album after basically dying for 5 years with Peart's awful tragedies...I relaly like it tho, it's kinda explosive.....at first was dissapointed Lifeson decided no keyboards orr guitar solos!!..I thought how they gonna make that work??..oddly enough it really does!,,,didnt expect it to - coz his solos are just so well thought out and played....but after a while found out he decided on that to give Peart the main focus on that album,,,and of course the big man didnt dissapoint!..some awsome drumming on there.
    I have heard the new album coming out will see Lifesons guitar work in yer face!..so cant wait for that!......I get what yer saying overall...but id suggest a rethink...theres lots there in all their stuff since late 70's early 80;s...its just a matter of adjusting is all.

ciao' amigo...Baggio...

ps naa they wont play here...they were asked for years to do Italy and Lifeson made it clear theyd luv to but wouldnt untill everything was right venue etc...so their show could be seen at best for the fans.....goood thinking me thinks....they played Milan last tour and apparantly was one of the best shows on the whole tour...so there ya go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Apparently Presto is being re-mastered and re-released later this year, as a lot of people were unhappy with the production. Anyone heard this (I picked it up on the Marillion forums, there's a good few Rush fans there)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Test For Echo often gets a bad rap. But for my money its one of the best.Some great tunes on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

blastman wrote:
    Apparently Presto is being re-mastered and re-released later this year, as a lot of people were unhappy with the production. Anyone heard this (I picked it up on the Marillion forums, there's a good few Rush fans there)?

That'd be great - a bit more bottom end could make it sound really fantastic (the songs themselves are prety good).

Master of the Universe

hmm maybe i'm being unfair to those other albums. i'll attempt to give them a relisten :D
    its just when your so used to a certain sound, and then theres such a drastic change, it kinda hits you like a brick in the face.
    was not expecting it at all!
    i hate to ask this question, as it will make me vomit with jealously, but has anyone here seen Rush live?
    i recently got my hands on a bootlet video, cant remember where it was from. they played the whole seven-part suite from 2112. i couldnt believe it. i would have given several limbs to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

o1s1n wrote:
    i hate to ask this question, as it will make me vomit with jealously, but has anyone here seen Rush live?

Grab a bucket and check out Baggio's profile. :D

o1s1n wrote:

Yeah, he scored a goal too. Oh hang on, you mean Rush the band, not Ian Rush? ;)

Seriously though, a friend of mine went over to Wembley for the 'Roll The Bones' tour, said it was amazing. At the time I was a poor student & could hardly afford a cup of coffee! I can't remember why i didn't go in 2004 but there was a reason...anyway hopefully next time round....

Master of the Universe

History:
    Drummer, seen Rush 5 times at wembley arena, best band on the planet by miles!!,,,Jethro Tull are good to,,,most today are garbage!

5 times? i think i'll need several buckets!!!
    actually, anyone see Jethro Tull when they played over here recently? i think it was a year or two ago. although i could be totally wrong as i have no concept of time.
    excellent gig!
    nice to see Ian Anderson still has it :)

o1s1n wrote:
    History:
    Drummer, seen Rush 5 times at wembley arena, best band on the planet by miles!!,,,Jethro Tull are good to,,,most today are garbage!

5 times? i think i'll need several buckets!!!
    actually, anyone see Jethro Tull when they played over here recently? i think it was a year or two ago. although i could be totally wrong as i have no concept of time.
    excellent gig!
    nice to see Ian Anderson still has it :)

Pity he has no hair anymore :( I don't doubt his ability, but I loved his look....

I'm liking the Mars Volta right now, best prog rock band in ages IMO.

But yeah, Rush, I want to see em so badly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I'm liking the Mars Volta right now, best prog rock band in ages IMO.

Yeah, picked up two of their albums recently, great stuff, fresh

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

really? i have to say i rarely listen to any music made in the last ten years. it all seems to leave a stale taste in my mouth for some reason.

01s1n,,,
    ...yehah hate bragging seen Rush 6 times now including the 30th anniversary tour...ahh fgolks are fed up of me on about em their just different class to any other band 3 mastercraftsmen and the best live show on earth...competition?..what competition!!! :D

I seen em on Permannent Waves tour 80, Moving pictures tour 1981 ( twice),
    hold your fire tour 88, roll the bones tour 92 and 30th anniversary tour 2004

all great shows hold your fire tour was something else have to say...and the last tour i think was their best yet!

oh Tull,,,yeahh saw them when over here couple of years back..my second fave band :) great band too serious musicians Ian Anderson what a frontman.....I seen them back in 1980 too,,,great show that was in Hammersmith Odeon in London they did 6 nights on the trot there that year great band

ciao' amigos...Baggio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

o1s1n wrote:
    hmm maybe i'm being unfair to those other albums. i'll attempt to give them a relisten :D
    its just when your so used to a certain sound, and then theres such a drastic change, it kinda hits you like a brick in the face.
    was not expecting it at all!
    i recently got my hands on a bootlet video, cant remember where it was from. they played the whole seven-part suite from 2112. i couldnt believe it. i would have given several limbs to be there.

saw them in London a couple of years ago... 30th anniversary...

what a gig, best i have ever been to.

Master of the Universe

"I seen em on Permannent Waves tour 80, Moving pictures tour 1981 ( twice),"

jesus. you really are a lucky sod. i adore both those albums beyond belief. YYZ and Jacobs ladder live????? i think my brain would explode :D
    i really was born twenty years too late!

as far as seeing them in London goes, do tickets sell out fast or what? as id really love to go over.

actually a guy i used to work with, the only other Rush fan i really know, was over in London a few years back visiting some relatives. one day he just happened to walk by a concert venue and see a big poster saying Rush were playing in a couple of days. as you can imagine, he screamed and fell down dead of a heart attack. well not really, he ran up, bought a ticket, and said it was one of the best concerts he's ever seen
    bastard! :D

Some news from Neil's site:

http://www.neilpeart.com/news/index.html

That's some drum-kit. He seems to have changed it again (having gotten rid of the 2nd bass drum then moved all the toms along 'one space' back in the early 90's). That's one of the things I love about Rush - they are always willing to experiment & try new musical ideas...

goood stuff...,,,some nice pix there too pete.........o1s1in ,yeahh good question about tickets I was amazed last time..really didnt think theyd sell anywhere out as 12 years away from UK is a longg time for any band...jeepers when i got to wembley..expected it half empty but a good show yu know......it was packed!!!..areas had sold out in hours of the release of tickets...so id say if ya hear their comming dive on tickets fast!!!!..they sold out NEC birmingham for 2 nights running last time 20,000 a night..serious pulling power!......

ciao' amigos...Baggio...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Baggio wrote:
    Vapor Trails...yeahh interesting thoughts there...well in fairness,,was their comback album after basically dying for 5 years with Peart's awful tragedies...
    Why, what happened to him?

I liked Peart when I was a young 'gear-head' drummer, but there's nothing after 'Exit Stage Left' that he did that I could point to and go 'wow!'.

I ocassionally will dig out Power Windows, Hold your Fire or Presto, but very rarely, and usually on vinyl for a trip down memory lane.

Having said that, he came on in leaps and bounds as a lyricist from the 80's onwards, people tend to forget that he writes the words!

Why, what happened to him?

His wife died and shortly after that he lost his daughter in a car crash - I could be wrong on the details but basically he lost his family in a very short time span. Baggio might have more details on that.
    Having said that, he came on in leaps and bounds as a lyricist from the 80's onwards, people tend to forget that he writes the words!
    He's a rare breed - a magician with words too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ancient1 wrote:
    His wife died and shortly after that he lost his daughter in a car crash - I could be wrong on the details but basically he lost his family in a very short time span. Baggio might have more details on that.

Christ! That's extremely ****ed up. I never knew that, but honestly, poor sod.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it took him a long time to get back on his feet. He went on a bike-ride which lasted over a year I think, zigzag-ed the entire US, iirc, and wrote a book while he was on the road.

I think it was available for purchase on his site for a while.

Edit: The book is still available. It's called "Ghost Writer - Travels on The Healing Road".

Quoted from his website:

"Within a ten-month period, Neil Peart suffered family losses so devastating that they left him a ghost -- physically a man but with nothing.

No hope, meaning, faith, or desire to keep living. One year after the first tragedy, Neil was choosing between life and his own death. Finally, all he could decide upon was motion. He got on his BMW R1100GS motorcycle, and over the next 14 months, rode 55,000 miles, in search of a reason to live. On a journey of escape, exile, and exploration, he traveled from Quebec to Alaska, down the Canadian and American coasts and western regions, to Mexico and Belize, and finally back to Quebec. While riding "the Healing Road," Neil recorded in his journals his progress and setbacks in the grieving/healing process, and the pain of constantly reliving his losses.

Advertisement