Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Ancient1 wrote:
    His wife died and shortly after that he lost his daughter in a car crash - I could be wrong on the details but basically he lost his family in a very short time span

That's pretty much what happened. His daughter, who was 19, was killed in a car crash & 6 months later his wife died from cancer. So Neil effectively withdrew from any kind of public life for almost 5 years, didn't touch his drums or involve himself in music. He did travel extensively & has written on this subject ('Ghost Rider - Travels on the healing road' which I have intended to buy for ages). Basically he got on his motorbike & hit the road all over North America in an attempt to get his life back together. Happily he met someone new & has since remarried (the subject for 'Sweet Miracle' on 'Vapor Trails').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

That's right, Peter, just edited my post there.

Ancient1 wrote:
    That's right, Peter, just edited my post there.

I should have edited mine, pointed to yours and said 'what Ancient1 said' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ancient1 wrote:
    His wife died and shortly after that he lost his daughter in a car crash - I could be wrong on the details but basically he lost his family in a very short time span. Baggio might have more details on that.
    Oh...you're not fucking serious!

Poor guy.
    Ancient1 wrote:
    He's a rare breed - a magician with words too. ;)
    An even rarer breed than that - a drummer with words! The only other drummer/intellectual I know of is Dave Tough, an American jazz-drummer, and one of the forgotten greatest drummers of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

been a fan of rush for 27 years now, had the pleasure of seeing them live on all their 6 date sell out UK tour in september 04. 3 hour shows, can't get better than that. they are in the studio at the moment recording a new album, due out early next year.watch out for some remastered dvd's this july.
    as for the 04 tour, best 8 days of my life, 47 of us from all over Europe , all members of T-N-M-S.com, met up and arranged tickets, transport, hotels, so many memories.some of the group had some very close connections with the band which made it even more memorable.

• Advertisement

btw, the 10th European Rush convention happens on september the 9th in Crewe UK. anyone want details, pm me, or check out the site www.t-n-m-s.com or www.rusheucon.com
    i remember flying home from the 2nd Birmingham NEC show to Galway and seeing all the people with Rush t-shirts on the plane, for years i thought i was the only fan here, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Galway Rush.,.,...goood stuff

yeahh know the feeling...thought I was the only one too!!...but there's more out there than folks realise,,and more joining the fold...which is goood to see,
    ...yeahh awful pity this country has sooo many baad headlining acts at big shows,,,i mean damm boy bands..and stuff like that...or the likes of the chillis playing to 80.000 in oxygen??..how crap is that...I laugh at the thought of a garage band like them pulling such a crowd here ...I dunno Rush to come here?......if only promotors got em over and did their stuff..what a show the rock fans here would see....red hot chillis??,,who the F** are they!!..hahahahahahha

ciao' amigo...Baggio...

red hot chillis??,,who the F** are they!!..

They're the band who keep releasing the same album - and people keep buying it! Or is that U2 I'm thinking of...? :rolleyes: ;)

Rush in Dublin...that would be great. Although I've already decided that a trip to the UK or even the US to see them on the next tour is in order. This mornings drive to work was accompanied by 'Different Stages -disc 2' :D

we met some of the road crew in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow, and they told us that they originaly intended to go to South America and Asia as part of next tour, so Europe was unlikely, but the band were over-whelmed at the response/sell-out's last time, that Europe was being considered again.
    i'm trying to arrange one of the UK Rush tribute bands to come to Galway soon, quite a few from the tnms rush site have expressed an intrest in coming over for a weekend of carnage, i'll keep you posted.
    ps, the Birmingham first show broke all records in Merchandising sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

If you could arrange a tribute band to come to Galway I'd definitely travel up from here. Anything to experience Rush material live, as the real thing is unlikely at the moment.

So pleased at the amount of replies a Rush thread has got here. Like many of you I thought I was the only one! As far as I'm concerned no band across the spectrum of rock music even comes close to eclipsing this fantastic group. From 2112 on they haven't stumbled even once even though their sound has gone through more than one makeover. An absolute flawless body of work with an album to suit any mood you may be in on any given day. Not many bands can say that.

My own personal favourite album from the boys is Moving Pictures, rather predictably, but I'm also a huge fan of the synth era. Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire and particularly Power Windows all get regular play in my gaff. Little known tracks like Middletown Dreams perfectly showcase the genius of Geddy Lee, unlike the earlier stuff in which the other two largely dominate.

Really loving Counterparts aswell at the moment too. Leave That Thing Alone is a great instrumental and from where I'm sitting Animate is one of their strongest tracks ever. The live version on the R30 DVD is gold.

Looking forward now to the Replay x3 DVD release which I believe is next week in the UK at least, according to Amazon. Been waiting to get my hands on A Show Of Hands for a while now to hear some of the more obscure mid-era stuff live. I doubt I'll be disappointed!

Rush FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd definetly be interested in seeing a Rush Tribute band in Galway. ;)

excellent, i hace seen 2 different Rush tribute bands in the UK now, YYZ and 2112.both are incredible, saw them at the annual Eucon Rush meet-up, ( piss-up),i've also met members from a number of other Rush tribute bands. i'm not sure if it'll happen this side of Xmas,quite a few of the tnms gang will travel over, so i have to get a date that best suits everybody. if anyone can make it to Crewe for the 9th september, you won't regret it.this will be my 4th eucon, always a fantastic weekend.

Goood stuff folks,
    ..Id be defo up to see a tribute band of the 3 master craftsmen :)..would be superb......gosh a smalll world!.... have been wizzing Power Windows in car cd a lot lately...and Middletown Dreams is a really superb piece for sure...Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure..great albums...ooozin with class:)

ciao' amgios,,Baggio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Rush - A poor mans led zeppelin

:P

there's always one :D

led zep a deaf and dumb mans good band!!.haahhahahaha

ciao' amigos..Baggio....

Timans wrote:
    Rush - A poor mans led zeppelin

:P

Meaning....?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Maybe he's talking about the first album which was self-titled and (apart from Working Man) was a bit of a pale Zep impression.

I doubt it though. He's more likely to be talking complete ****e.

Zeppelin are like many other so called marquee hard rock bands, wildly overrated. Another example of people with less experienced musical palettes thinking that they know it all.

For those of use who've taken the time to explore extensively across the spectrum of rock music, Rush are streets, nay motorways, ahead of Led Zeppelin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The last track on All the World's a Stage, What You're Doing, is a pretty weak track on their first album but live it comes to life with amazing energy and out of this world drumming. Rush doing what Zeppelin do best, only better ;)

Saying Rush are a "poor man's Zeppelin" simply proves that one hasn't listened to Rush properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't imagine why or how one would compare the two. Anyways Purple rulez! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zeppelin are like many other so called marquee hard rock bands, wildly overrated.

Thats where I personally draw the line on this. No way can the Zep be deemed over-rated. In no way are Zep a deaf and dumb mans good band. Then again, Rush are nowhere near a poor mans Led Zep. I like Rush, but I like Led Zeppelin more(prepares to get ambushed)!

think Mike65 has it right, how or why would anyone compare those bands? The list of positives just keep going on and on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The similarities in Geddy Lee and Robert Plants' voices is the only thing that links the bands(apart from Rush's largely unheard first album). Apart from that they're totally different.

i like Zep, used to love them years ago, but then got a little tired of them, but Rush are a band i've never got bored or tired of, whatever my mood, there's an album to suit.i guess like so many more have said, Rush are like a soundtrack of my life, i can associate so many personal memories with particular albums, roll on the next album early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Baggio is the one who got me into rush.. i never really listened to them too much before.. until mr Baggio Pearl started banging on about Neil soo much that i went out and got some of their albums.. i fell in love with YYZ the first time i heard it.. and have been up in the rehersal studio many a night on my own with the mp3 player on and playing rush on the drums.. (or trying to anyway)

i first got into Rush from listening to the BBC's friday rock show back in 78-79, reception was awful at times here in the West of Ireland, but Rush had 2 tracks in the annual top 10 requested Rock Songs, 2112 and Xanadu.then when i got Permanent Waves, i was totally hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think Baggio's enthusiasm is infectious. Like if you visit the instruments forum, hang around long enough and all you'll want to do is buy guitars just to show them off, in Rock/Metal, sooner or later you'll start listening to Rush. ;)

galwayrush wrote:
    i first got into Rush from listening to the BBC's friday rock show back in 78-79, reception was awful at times here in the West of Ireland, but Rush had 2 tracks in the annual top 10 requested Rock Songs, 2112 and Xanadu.then when i got Permanent Waves, i was totally hooked.

Now that brings back memories, although in my case it was the late 1980's, listening to the friday rock show on medium wave. The sound would fade in & out, but I still used to tape things off it... ;)

At the end of 1988 all the pirate stations were taken off the air & I was able to get BBC Radio1 on FM (mono) for a while. No interweb or satellite radio in those days! Or ipods, mp3's...(I could go into a Monty Python '4 yorkshiremen sketch now! ;) )

Anyway I first heard Rush in 1987 - well saw them, the video for 'Time Stand Still' on an RTE show called 'Finding Fax Future' in which they showed videos but in between had interviews with members of the public.

But the song that really got me hooked was 'Red Barchetta' which I first heard on Tom Hayes Metal Show on Capitol FM in early 1988. A track I still describe as 'exhilarating' :)

The first Rush albums I ever heard were 2112 and Permanent Waves and they're still my favourites, and I love everything they ever put out, even the "synth" era that gets criticized a lot.

I remember initially being sceptical about Geddy's vocals - I didn't hate them, but I thought they were unusual. After I got used to them I realized that they're actually a part of what makes Rush Rush. ;) I wouldn't want them any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

The first time I heard them was a tape of 2112 my older brother got from a mate when I was about 12 on holiday in west cork, I presumed they were from a small coastal town in north Co Dublin and marvelled that some of my fellow countrymen could produce such far out music. I soon found out that they hadn't named themselves after their home town, because it wasn't their hometown and they weren't even Irish, but played that tape day in day out on that holiday until I drove the rest of my family nuts anyway. Except for a lull in my late twenties I've listened to them ever since, R30 re sparking my interest. Have to say anything after signals and before vapour trails is pretty lame, also side 1 of hemispheres - this has to be prog at its most ludicrous and hilarious. Caress, 2112, Perm Waves, Moving Pics rule. Hon mention FBN (Anthem, By-Tor) & FTK (Xanadu, Cygnus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I was only joking. Jeez,

Anyway, I like both bands. I do think they are quite similar, I can't really dexcribe it. But, I think they are. I'd prefer Plants voice but god can Peart play drums. Better than Bonham imo.

yes, I prefer Zepp but that's personal preference. ;)

he he, Peart was in a band called Hush before Rush. :D

• Advertisement

Bruce Dickinson played '2112' on his show last saturday...again! I know you've probably all heard it loads of times but if you want to hear it go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/bruce_dickinson/ & it's about 2 hours 40 mins into the latest show :)

Advertisement