Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

He has good taste. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ancient1 wrote:
    He has good taste. ;)
    refreshing to hear someone play all 2112,
    apparently Muse and Tool are big fans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Very refreshing.

Especially when you consider that Rush themselves don't even play it in full anymore!

If you stop playing 2112 before the solo at the end of "Presentation" then there really is no point.

AlanOB wrote:
    Very refreshing.

Especially when you consider that Rush themselves don't even play it in full anymore!

If you stop playing 2112 before the solo at the end of "Presentation" then there really is no point.
    Different Stages is special, wonderful full live version of 2112. a key lower, but Ged's voice had to break sometime, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I cant remember why I got into them, I think it might have been the insidious effects of buying Kerrang and Sounds every week they gave Power Windows top marks and I took a chance, though I might have heard bits and pieces before then.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Planet Rock, 0110 on Sky plays a lot of Rush.
    i think i would get a heart attack if i heard them on Irish radio, although i did hear Spirit of Radio on Dave Fanning once.
    btw, saw the Waterboy on tv tonight, Tom Saywer was on the sound track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Phantom FM used to brand themselves as 'the spirit of radio' & use the guitar outro melody from that song as a jingle! a long time ago now...

Any of you familiar with the Canadian band Barenaked Ladies? Check out a song of theirs called 'Grade 9'...you may recognise a couple of parts of it ;)

alas, no Phantom FM available here in the West
    the Bareneked Ladies have said Rush were one of their main infleunces.
    Dream Theatre have also done 2112 and Limelight and quite a few more Rush tracks live over the years.

galwayrush wrote:
    the Bareneked Ladies have said Rush were one of their main infleunces.

Did you hear that song called Grade 9? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Ancient1 wrote:
    Did you hear that song called Grade 9? ;)
    LOL

That was just suggested 2 posts ago.

It must be quite similar to Rush. Quite similar indeed. ;)

• Advertisement

I posted that at 10.25 this morning. I'm not very advanced at that hour. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Ancient1 wrote:
    I posted that at 10.25 this morning. I'm not very advanced at that hour. :p
    I don't think anyone is and, I'm going to let you off for a number of reasons but mainly because I wasn't even awake then. :P

Carry on.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Timans wrote:
    It must be quite similar to Rush. Quite similar indeed. ;)

Not so much similar as....oh just check it out, it made me laugh! ;)

It was recommended to me by a Canadian girl, who upon hearing about my obsession with Rush told me I needed to hear this track. It's about being a high school kid in Canada in the early 1980's...

Happy Birthday to mr Geddy Lee today, 53 years young:cool:

i have just returned from the 10th European Rush Convention which was held in Crewe UK.what an incredible weekend.Fans travelled from as far as Sweden, Finland, Holland, as well as the UK and Ireland. very special guest speaker was Donna Halper, the woman who discovered the band and got them recognised in the States back in 74.the cover band Counterparts played a perfect 3 hour set, one of the highlights was a beautifully played Different Strings.the band are hoping to get to Galway sometime early next year, you will not be disappointed, they are incredible, almost as good as the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

galwayrush wrote:
    the cover band Counterparts played a perfect 3 hour set, one of the highlights was a beautifully played Different Strings.the band are hoping to get to Galway sometime early next year, you will not be disappointed, they are incredible, almost as good as the real thing.

That's excellent, I hope they do actually come over, that would be some gig. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

hey boys,
    ..I hear RUSH tribute band "Spirit Of Rush" are playing voodoo lounge october 20th!!

be there or be square hehhe :)

ciao' amigos....Baggio....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Just got Live in Rio today for a tenner! Those south american crowds are insane :eek:

octav...what did yu think or Rush In Rio?...great show me thinks hehe :)

ciao' amigo..Baggio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

OctavarIan wrote:
    Just got Live in Rio today for a tenner! Those south american crowds are insane :eek:

For a tenner? That was a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I got Rush in Rio on DVD when I was in Amsterdam, the only song I've watched on it is YYZ... So far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adrian3020

So the boys are in the studio laying down the tracks that we will all be rocking to this time next year. I'm getting excited and only one band can do that to me this far from release date..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Alex has formed a band called the Big Dirty, with Geddy on, well, bass of course,
    to record the soundtrack, which will include a cover of "I fought the law" which if appropriate for more than one reason http://www.trailerparkboysmovie.com/mp3player/bio.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Heres digging up a thread for ya:D

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5438681/Rush-R30-30th-Anniversary-World-Tour/Product.html

For anyone who doesn't have R30, at €6.50, well...couldn't say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

By-Tor and The Snow Dog all the way.
    Also,is it just me,or were Burke Shelley and Geddy Lee separated at birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I've been listening to Moving Pictures pretty much all day today, and I've just been compelled to say, what a damn fine band.

Moving Pictures is an awesome album indeed, and there is not a single bad song on it. It's a real shame that 'The Camera Eye' was the last epic long song that they ever did.
    mikep wrote: »
    You gotta go for Exit stage left!!!

Thats the album that got me into Rush in the first place, and it's also one of my all time favourite live albums along with Alive, Live After Death, Earth Inferno, Live in Santa Monica (Bowie), Live Inferno (Emperor), Under a Blood Red Sky, Live Legacy (Dissection), AC/DC Live etc.:D
    I've still got Moving Pictures on.

Really should get more Rush, apart from the aforementioned album, I've got the Rush in Rio DVD, which is very cool indeed.

You should check out 2112, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Signals, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones and Counter Parts. I did'nt like any of the albums after Counter Parts though.:(
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Irish Rush fans? wah! i didnt know they existed. i thoought i was the only one...
    and no, theres is no way in hell they will ever *ever* play here. a sad sad thing really.
    as a matter of interest, what are your thoughts on their 90's/latest albums? my dad had me listening to their 70's / early 80's stuff since i was but a wee baby, so i was never really exposed to anything after.
    its only in the last three or four years ive been getting my hands on the latest stuff, and i have to say, i find it absolutely awful. l i nearly cry whenever i hear them as i think theyre so bad.
    what the hell happened?!! vapour trails is horiffic. well, i think so anyway. Rush for me basically end with grace under pressure. irionically enough, it was released the year i was born.
    *gasp* i killed Rush

I have to agree with you. I was very very dissapointed with 'Snakes and Arrows', and I'm glad I downloaded it first, rather than wasting money on it instead. I think the last really great album that they did was 'Counter Parts'. I found all their albums after that album to be very dissapointing.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

R 30 has just been released in the US on blu ray but it is region locked. So far the reviews are not that good comparing it to the DVD.

There's going to be a massive Rush event in the UK next year, 3 cover bands , each playing different era's of the band's vast classic collection, more details when i have them.:cool:

Galway good stuff bud :)

any chance of dragging an act over here and we team up again?..would be terific! ;)

ciao' amigo...Baggio...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Or just any chance of seeing actual Rush?*

*need to see them in action...cant believe it hasn't happened yet.

Advertisement