Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the Reserve Defence Force

• 15-06-2006 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Don't have the time for a life less ordinary, how about a weekend?

The Reserve Defence Force are recruiting throughout the year and is well worth joining for the experience alone.

In my short career I have been in trench's on a hillside for days and have jumped from a hovering helicopter.

If you want to join the PDF then the RDF can give a very accurate impression of what the training is like

If you enjoy the outdoors and the army appeals to you, but you already have a job, then the reserve is for you.

You need only be between the age of 17 - 35, and be physically fit.

If you want to know where your local headquarters are or whats involved in training, then both myself and the other RDF members on this board will gladly answer your questions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah my younger brother was in it and thoroughly enjoyed the training. He particularly liked being in the outdoors (spending a few days in the Wicklow mountains I think he said) on provisions. I remember him coming back with the tinfoil dish of baked beans and sausages, which were mixed up and those oatmeal biscuits they give you. I think he finished (however long is required) and loved it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I would definitely be interested. How long is the training? Are the entry requirements stringent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

H&#250 wrote: »
    I would definitely be interested. How long is the training? Are the entry requirements stringent?

When I joined in 1998 the most stringent requirement was PERFECT hearing!!!

After th army deafness scandals the last thing they wanted was the FCA looking for compo.
    When I was at my hearing test we talked with a Sgt. who had hearing problems and was being retested....if he failed he said he wouldnt be allowed to progress any further in the ranks...he failed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would be super interested in the RDF. What sort of hours are there involved? I work 9-5 monday to friday...

Havok, it depends. Generally its 2.5 hours a week, one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year on camp. For me, Ive already done a week at Easter and there's 2 more in June/July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've been thinking of joining the RDF for a long time now...!

Here's a thread I started on the subject a good while ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054882136

Maybe the mod of that forum will move it to here! I PM'd one of them, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I've just finished a degree in Software Development, but, I'm itching to do something like this. I'm planning on traveling the world from January onwards, but, this is definitely something I would be interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

zuma wrote:
    When I joined in 1998 the most stringent requirement was PERFECT hearing!!!

After th army deafness scandals the last thing they wanted was the FCA looking for compo.
    When I was at my hearing test we talked with a Sgt. who had hearing problems and was being retested....if he failed he said he wouldnt be allowed to progress any further in the ranks...he failed!
    your not 34 inf are you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭-boris

i have a medical monday week,what exactly does it entail and are they very strict on anything besides the hearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

-boris wrote: »
    i have a medical monday week,what exactly does it entail and are they very strict on anything besides the hearing?

The RDF Medical is as strict as whoever is doing it. Some of the people who do it let small things slide, anything major and you won't get it!!!

Don't forget to have a good wash before you go up, you will be stripped to your jocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Don't forget to have a good wash before you go up, you will be stripped to your jocks.

+1. Make sure you at least rinse around the key areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

+1. Make sure you at least rinse around the key areas.

And CLEAN Jocks!!! Skid Marks would be quite embarrassing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Worth saying, don't go to a thrash metal band or sleep with your headphones in the night before the hearing test...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

don't go to the cinema either for the previous 48 hours. It's very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

Worth saying, don't go to a thrash metal band or sleep with your headphones in the night before the hearing test...

whaaa????:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

and don't bring your hearing aid with you.... and if possible try to leave the labrador and stick outside somewhere and you'll be grand...

The RDF Medical is as strict as whoever is doing it. Some of the people who do it let small things slide, anything major and you won't get it!!!

I see....but what this part about being stripped to your jocks!i mean what the f#ck?whats that about?Is it just to the jocks or is it balls and all!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

-boris wrote: »
    I see....but what this part about being stripped to your jocks!i mean what the f#ck?whats that about?Is it just to the jocks or is it balls and all!?

I've heard some just stick a hand down and ask you to cough, I had to lie down and pull everything down, it's just a formality only takes a few seconds.

tribulus wrote: »
    I've heard some just stick a hand down and ask you to cough, I had to lie down and pull everything down, it's just a formality only takes a few seconds.

The c/s never mentioned that part!how long does the medical take!and do they take blood?

I'm assuming it's the same as the PDF one in which case it's a full medical, blood, urine, eyes, ears, teeth etc.

Mine took over two hours total but I was there with four other people so there was lots of waiting around.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming it's the same as the PDF one in which case it's a full medical, blood, urine, eyes, ears, teeth etc.

Mine took over two hours total but I was there with four other people so there was lots of waiting around.

I know they dont cheek your teeth for the rdf but im not sure about the others.2 hours is fairly long.do they give you a 2nd shot at the hearing?I already did the hearing but we wont know if we passed it our not until we go up again for the medical,which is kind of stupid,i'm resisting the urge to listen to my mp3!

They might give you a formal or informal second shot at the hearing, depending on whether you're obviously half deaf or just a few blips short. :D

Some of the lads I was tested with failed their hearing test because they'd been sleeping with headphones on. They had to wait until the next round of recruitment to get another go, which they passed no problem.

They might give you a formal or informal second shot at the hearing, depending on whether your obviously half deaf or just a few blips short. :D

Some of the lads I was tested with failed their hearing test because they'd been sleeping with headphones on. They had to wait until the next round of recruitment to get another go, which they passed no problem.

Thats what i like abiut hus country,you certainly cannot beat the informalities.

if all goes well,on average how long does the swearing in process and issueing of a inoform take?

Uniform can be a couple of weeks, swearing-in a little less, IIRC.

Uniform can be a couple of weeks, swearing-in a little less, IIRC.

righto.thanks for the info.icon10.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

The medical for the RDF is the same as the PDF, but with the exception of the blood. Plus there is no fitness exam either.

The reason they check your balls is to check the weight of them.
    The medical doesn't take too long and its fairly straightforward enough. Probably the reason you were waiting around was because something was found in one of the guys/gals who went before you.

Eyesight and hearing are done seperate to the medical though.

I was waiting around because all of the candidates were being brought to McKee together for the interviews. I think you may have mixed me up with a different poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

greenarrow wrote: »
    The medical for the RDF is the same as the PDF, but with the exception of the blood. Plus there is no fitness exam either.

The reason they check your balls is to check the weight of them.

What happens if their too heavy.... do they have to go on a diet :D
    I dread to think what happens if their too small :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

why the bloody hell do they weigh them in the first place, i thought the cough part was so the blood rushes through and they can detect and unwanted lumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Holy crap guys! they're checkin for Hernia, thats all.....unless your fit and the Doc winks at ya!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

Ask the doctor. But the reason they just do it is to see if the the difference between them is slight.
    That's why one of them hangs lower than the other...Apart from that I don't know. But a slight difference in the weight is a healthy sign.

I know I am talking bollocks before someone else says it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Yeah, talking bollocks about bollocks!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement