Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Impressive Euro side so far

• 15-06-2006 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I would have to say Italy over my fav side Spain. Against Ghana, they showed class and steel in defense to absorb a high tempo 60 minutes. By the end, they were in control and extended their lead. Great footabllers throughout the side and a great organisation to them. Spain I feel, as impressive as they looked, were not tested against Ukraine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The score like in Spain's match was very flattering but they were still very impressive. I was really impressed with the Czech Republic also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Another vote for the Czech Republic, look very solid right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Czechs and Spanish by a long way. But Czech's are without both their main strikers now and Spain are very unpredictable so I still doubt either will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Italy, Czechs and Spain but I think it will be between Italy and Czechs to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Spain were terrific yesterday but I'd still have to say the Italians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd have to say Italy. They were class. They completely controlled their game, fast when they wanted it, slow when they wanted it. Great play.

Spain I feel were good but the scoreline flattered them also against what I thought was an extremely poor Ukraine side. Czech's were class as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Italy also. Spanish are hot & cold in big tournaments.

I liked the Craotian defence. Kovac was immense against the Brazilians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Italy and Spain.

I think Spain have gained their confidence early, and the flowing goal at the end exemplifies this.

I have money on both of them so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I really liked Spain and the Czechs.

I hate to say it though, it's the teams that play badly and win that will go far. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eng, Holland and Germany go further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

czechs, aussies, and spanish for me all impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The reason people weren't impressed with Germany's performance against Costa Rica was down to one reason, their defending. I have to say, Spain were not much better. Their offside trap was caught out at least 4 times yesterday and the linesman wrongly flagged on 3 occasions. The one occasion he didn't flag Spain were lucky to get someone back in time.
    czechs, aussies, and spanish for me all impressed.
    Australia aren't European. :) I wasn't impressed with them at all either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

eirebhoy wrote:
    The reason people weren't impressed with Germany's performance against Costa Rica was down to one reason, their defending.

Agreed, I'm quite heappy with them in the 2008 Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

The thing about both Spain and Italy is, unlike pretty much every other big European team, they don't completely depend on particular players to perform. If Villa or Torres get injured, Raúl and Reyes could do a job. If Luis Garcia plays as badly as he often does, they have Fabregas. On the bench they Iniesta, Joaquin and Albeda just for midfield.

Likewise with Italy. We say against Ghana that when Totti came off, Camoranesi came on and played great. Even without Zambrotta, their defence was solid, and without Gattuso their midfield was controlling. Up front, both Del Piero and Iacinta will keep Toni and Gilardiho on their toes. I might be somewhat worried were they to lose Pirlo, but we'll get over that.

Look elsewhere. If England lose Gerrard and Lampard - or even Beckham - they are ruined. If Henry or Zidane don't turn it on for France, they mightn't get out of the group. If Germany lose Ballack or Lahm, they are out of ideas. Holland seem to be completely dependent on Robben. Even the Czechs play the majority of their creative football through Rosicky and Nedved.

That's why I think Italy and Spain will do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Spain ftw, just class in all areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Likewise with Italy. We say against Ghana that when Totti came off, Cambiaso came on and played great. Even without Zambrotta,

I think you mean Camoranesi. Anyway yeah i had have to go with Spain and Czech being the most impressive side out of Europe at the moment. Spain being the best so far.

randomname wrote:
    I think you mean Camoranesi. Anyway yeah i had have to go with Spain and Czech being the most impressive side out of Europe at the moment. Spain being the best so far.

Whoops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Spanish result was very flattering as they got 2 extremely lucky goals and a penalty and sending off that was downright crazy. Italy and the Czechs have looked the best from Europe so far but tbh its meaningless as they have only played one game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Look elsewhere. If England lose Gerrard and Lampard - or even Beckham - they are ruined.

Funnny though if they lost one of Lampard or Gerrard it could be a blessing in disguise. Can't see past Italy myself. Agree with the others mentioned but Italy really do look strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Italy looked very strong, cause this year they have something to prove.

I think Spain look excellent aswell. I know they always look good every tournament but I really believe they can do it this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

The Czechs and the Italians looks strong and Koller may not be out for the entire tournament.I think Spain are being a bit over-rated tbh,the heat yesterday required that the game be played at a tempo which suited the Spainiards perfectly and they were lucky with decisions.No doubt they have plenty of top players and a great bench but i dont see them beating a top side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Spain, although the score did flatter them. That was never a penalty or even a yellow card for the Ukraine defender.

Edit: Forgot to say, Villa and Torres look like the best strike partnership in the tournament, so far anyway. Both were impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Has to be England :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Italia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

POland for definite!!!!

or more seriously, The Italians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

eirebhoy wrote:
    Australia aren't European. :) I wasn't impressed with them at all either.

haha balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

England, they have so much pace & great movment in there play & dont just play long balls up the pitch for 90 mins & David Beckham is such a great player & is by no means 100% totally **** at outfield play:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

I don't think they have been the MOST impressive so far, but nobody has mentioned Holland. I think they passed the ball around midfield very well agaist a difficult side and I expect and hope they go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Ireland haven't been bad:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Italy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Italy, Czech and Holland are the only sides I've seen that made me think "Yeah they could win it."

Of course Czech and Holland won't so that just leaves Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭blobert

I've got money on the Czechs to win the World Cup at 40/1 so I'm praying Mr Koller makes a speedy recovery:)

Winning the group is essential to Italy and The Czech Rupublic, seeing as the looser will most likely face Brazil in the next round. I fancy the Czechs will top the group (though probably on goal difference).

I wouldn't right off the Germans yet either.

Pigman II wrote:
    Italy, Czech and Holland are the only sides I've seen that made me think "Yeah they could win it."

Of course Czech and Holland won't so that just leaves Italy.

What about Spain? They look strong in all departments if you ask me, especially their two forwards. Great midfield as well and Puyol isn't too bad at the back, or Casillas.

They got a great morale boosting victory in the first game too. They can afford now to just win their next game and then play their second string in the final game against the Saudis, who their second string would probably beat anyway.

Spain are a great team when they're already winning but put them in a scrap and they'll go to pieces. Wouldn't be surprised if either Mexico or Portugalknocked them out in the last 16.

Spain are a great team when they're already winning but put them in a scrap and they'll go to pieces. Wouldn't be surprised if either Mexico or Portugal knocked them out in the last 16.

Pigman II wrote:
    Spain are a great team when they're already winning but put them in a scrap and they'll go to pieces. Wouldn't be surprised if either Mexico or Portugal knocked them out in the last 16.

I'm not sure about that. I definitely think this Spain team look better than previous squads that have gone to the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

will wait and see who comes out best from the italy-czech. republic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Lemlin wrote:
    Puyol isn't too bad at the back, or Casillas.
    I've no worrys about Puyol (except he aint the best in the air) but Cassilas can be prone to mistakes, lack of concentration etc.
    But I really do hope Spain go far cos they have a cracking team. And while I'm wishing I hope Luis, Xabio and Reina convince one of the strikers to come back to Anfield with them. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I'd agree with most of the posts so far. The italians finally look like a team. Maybe this whole bribery thing has united them:)

Also Spain as others said have a decent bit of strength in their squad.

The Best individual player performances so far:

Cahill, Pirlo, Yorke, Lahm, Sancho.

You can still get the italians at 8-1. I'm gonna stick a few quid on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Something for the world cup fans. Never miss a goal again http://coupedumonde2006.topela.info/index.php

Slurms wrote:
    I've no worrys about Puyol (except he aint the best in the air) but Cassilas can be prone to mistakes, lack of concentration etc.
    Puyol would rarely make a mistake but he wasn't great at leading the line against the Ukraine. As said already, 4 times the Ukraine broke through their offside trap (3 times wrongly flagged for offside).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cassilas can be prone to mistakes, lack of concentration etc.

That mistake he made in the Spain Ukraine match is the only time I can ever remember of watching Cassilas that he has made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Italy without a doubt. Looked very solid in midfield and at the back.

I feel the czechs will lack teeth up front against a solid team. As for Spain, I hope they keep playing like they did but I still have doubts about them in tournaments.

Italy played a training match today with the following line-ups:

- - - - - - - - - Buffon - - - - - - - - - - -

Zaccardo - Nesta - Materazzi - Zambrotta

- - - - Pirlo - - De Rossi - - Perrotta - - -

- - - - - - - - - - Totti - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - Inzaghi - - - - - Gilardino - - - -

- - - - - - Toni - - - - - - Iaquinta - - - - --

- - - - - - - - - - Del Piero - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - Camoranesi - - Barone - - Gattuso - -

Grosso - - Cannavaro - - Barzagli - - - Oddo

- - - - - - - - - - - Peruzzi - - - - - - - - - -

Everyone's fit in the Italian camp for the first time. Looks like decent depth. Although, if one of the centre halfs were to get injured I wouldn't fancy their chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    - Materazzi - if one of the centre halfs were to get injured I wouldn't fancy their chances.

Dont believe the PL hype, hes a decent CB.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

iregk wrote:
    Something for the world cup fans. Never miss a goal again http://coupedumonde2006.topela.info/index.php

That is the link of the tournament! Thank you so so much! :D

I'd hate to be the third choice goalkeeper during one of these training matches.

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    I don't know. The Italians don't rate him anyway. Maybe their standards are just so high with the 2 first choice centre halfs they have. :)

btw - I didn't think Iaquinta was wanted by the best teams in the world:

"The 27-year-old has also been linked with moves to Milan, Juventus and was very close to joining Barcelona in January 2005."
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun16b.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Italy for me.

But maybe this thead would have been better for when the groups end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

He has very poor disipline and did score one of the best own goals of all time near the end of the season Im surprised Bonera didnt make the squad ahead of him I think Barzagli whould be a better option within the current squad

Advertisement