Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell any good?

Options
  • 15-06-2006 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I was in Waterstones the other day and my eye was caught by Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Just wondering if anyone has read it and if they would recommend it or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I really enjoyed it. It's funnier than I expected and despite its length, the plot keeps ticking along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Absolutely excellent to read. Very Dickensian in style, wonderful book, I was sorry when it was finished. This book is more than just a Harry Potter for adults.

I haven't read anything else by Susanna Clarke but will be soon, I know she has written a short story featuring Norrell and Strange and it appears in her short story collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

thanks for the recommendations. I think i will definitely be picking it up!

I didn't know she had written anything else, I'll be checking out that short story collection

http://www.jonathanstrange.com/ details her published works, one of which is a Norrell and Strange story.

Great site, very funy pieces if you click on "The Author" and then read the bits "written by" Strange and Norrell about Susanna Clarke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

Just finished this last night. Really enjoyed it. Superbly written, the 1,000 pages just flew by! Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad you enjoyed it, nothing worse than advising somebody to buy a book only to have them turn around and say "I hated it"!

I was so annoyed when I finished it, I wanted it to go on forever :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    I was so annoyed when I finished it, I wanted it to go on forever :)

I had the same feeling. I loved the characters and the style (the odd old fashioned language and huge footnotes, fantastic!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

I know this thread is really old but I'm new to Boards ... I loved this book so much when I read it. I would say it is my all time fav. I read it so fast and wished it would never end. No book was enjoyable for a long time after.

A strange thing happened when I bought it. I went to pay for it (Hodges) and as I approached the counter a guy came up to the other assistant and said" I saw a book in the window.." and .. then pointed at my copy as I handed it over the till and shouted "that's it" !!! ... he did look a bit wired and he went off with the sales dude to show him where it was lolz

I'm still wishing a follow up is written or does anyone know if such a thing is happening ?

Can't imagine a movie would do the book justice ... they would need to make mini movies for the footnotes to go long with the main movie :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

This ones on my reading list.. 1000 pages though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 miqeel

It is an absolute must read - great style, ingenious plot and amazing characters. It took Mrs Clarke 10 years to finish the novel, but her result is IMHO outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Giruilla wrote: »
    This ones on my reading list.. 1000 pages though :eek:

Even though it's so long you would fly through it. The story never gets boring and completly flows. Enjoy it.

Advertisement