Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is NTL down in Tallaght?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

maybe im more biased cos i used to work in eircom, but i cant blame some of the CS reps

there is a problem that they have no way of fixing
    they dont know anymore, cos they probably havent been told by their superiors/engineers

yet all they are going to get is grief on here and on the phone, for eight hours a day for the next few days

cut them some slack

there is no point in calling up every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

event wrote:
    there is no point in calling up every day

There is every point, if people didn't call NTL with these issues they would not be in any rush to fix them, they may not even know about them. It's important that the urgency of such issues are impressed upon NTL. There are probably quite a few people that depend on broadband for work purposes that have be greatly effected by these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 adamo

Well it is not fault of people in CS department but surly their managers and managers of managers and who ever is responsible for not putting enough engineers to work on this issue is.

But to sum up if NTL is aware of problem for 6 days and is not able as whole company to solve this problem in such a long period of time means they offer really low level of service, at least in Ireland.

Out of curiosity are there any other Internet Providers operating in City West / Saggart area?

masterK wrote:
    There is every point, if people didn't call NTL with these issues they would not be in any rush to fix them, they may not even know about them. It's important that the urgency of such issues are impressed upon NTL. There are probably quite a few people that depend on broadband for work purposes that have be greatly effected by these problems.

you dont think that they would know about an issue that is affecting customers in the entire dublin area?

im not on about dont call in for other issues, but you know that this is a major issue, and that tehy are working on it
    regarding this issue on its own, what will calling up everyday, and asking for an update do?

it will annoy you further when they dont have any more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

event wrote:
    you dont think that they would know about an issue that is affecting customers in the entire dublin area?

im not on about dont call in for other issues, but you know that this is a major issue, and that tehy are working on it
    regarding this issue on its own, what will calling up everyday, and asking for an update do?

it will annoy you further when they dont have any more info

The whole point is that the service has been down since last Thursday and people expect the service that they pay for!!

If the service is not being provided then Customer Service should be able to give concise and accurate information to when it will be working again and not the babble that they have been giving out. If they dont wish to be called, put the information up on the NTL web site.

• Advertisement

wideband wrote:
    The whole point is that the service has been down since last Thursday and people expect the service that they pay for!!

If the service is not being provided then Customer Service should be able to give concise and accurate information to when it will be working again and not the babble that they have been giving out. If they dont wish to be called, put the information up on the NTL web site.

well are you calling the customer services or technical support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

wideband wrote:
    If they dont wish to be called, put the information upon the NTL web site.

Agree something similar to what they have in the UK Service Status But I won't expect much from the Ntl.ie or Ntlworld.ie as they are never updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LumoColor

event wrote:
    what will calling up everyday, and asking for an update do?

They will have management reports on how many customers ring in with issues, if ppl keep ringing in they they know there is a issue for that number of customers. Kinda raises the profile of the problem.

LumoColor wrote:
    They will have management reports on how many customers ring in with issues, if ppl keep ringing in they they know there is a issue for that number of customers. Kinda raises the profile of the problem.

id imagine that this problem is their top priority at the moment

event wrote:
    id imagine that this problem is their top priority at the moment

Would that have anything to do with the amount of calls they are getting about it by any chance?

• Advertisement

masterK wrote:
    Would that have anything to do with the amount of calls they are getting about it by any chance?

id say after 2 days of calls it became top priority

im not saying never call up, but im just talking about this case in particular

i was trying to respond as to why the tech support staff were perhaps being sour and short on the phone

thats all

heaven forbid i go against the complaining on here

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Would it not be standard to have a Duty/Standby setup in place in case something fell over? It is not as if this sort of equipment is available from Komplett or Pixmania. Thought it could be given the lenght of time that it is taking to fix it.

Hopefully this will be the Great Outage of 2006 but I think not. The outage page is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

event wrote:

i was trying to respond as to why the tech support staff were perhaps being sour and short on the phone

thats all

I rang them earlier and they said it was fixed just power cycle the modem.

So when I got home I power cycled and guess what it is still ****ed

Rang them back and they said it was fixed but now the whole country is affected so we are back to square one.

BTW if we don't ring them how will we know when NTL have fixed the problem should we just keep power cycling the modem every couple of hours .
    Its not like NTL use their website to announce when they have a problem or when it has been fixed or that they would send you an unsolicited email to inform you.
    There is no choice but to ring regularly to check the current position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

event wrote:

Very unlikely going on the current situation
    event wrote:

The staff should never get sour and short as this only causes further aggravation If the staff had proper training and the management passed on the relevant information this would not happen.

event wrote:
    :) we only want the BB service up and running again and this forum gives us an insight into each others progress etc. I would like to think that what you are saying is true, but it is making me laugh tba.

I rang them earlier and they said it was fixed just power cycle the modem.

So when I got home I power cycled and guess what it is still ****ed

Rang them back and they said it was fixed but now the whole country is affected so we are back to square one.

That is some change, isn't it? :D

As for calling them etc. I think we should do what we can and call, mail as often as we can maybe that will let them think of better ways of handling situation like this one.

As was mentioned:

a. Service been down for week,
    b. Customer Support can not give any details beside "working on it", and does not have any other information other then that since a week
    c. Web site does not give any information about major problem and week is far more then enough to do proper webpage update
    d. There is no Time of Fix given, after a week
    e. to repeat my self "after a week" ;)

Seriously poor people in their CS but such job. Other then that NTL deserve all the frustration and annoyance from their customers as they work to build it up.

Hopefully CS have some call log where they put all cutomers incoming calls so someone, someday will realize how bad this outage was handled.

As for updates seems something is going on as my pings to ntl.com and otherpage.com seems to be droping at same time now. While ntl.com was stable so far. Not a fix but some change - might be sign someone is getting close to problem source (lets hope).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LumoColor

Looks like its sort of back up, stopped dropping the connection every couple of mins, but its very choppy, high latency - ping > 70/90ms every couple of seconds.

Ordered a netsource 3mb DSL line today. Sick to death of NTL. NTL its getting cancelled once DSL is up. They can stick thier ****e service.

ok, a lot of you mention the CS here, i presumed that you meant technical support, not actual customer service reps

so if you were saying all this to customer service reps, thats ok, i understand that

though the point by adamo, that its theri job. If you are referring to the technical support department, that is NOT their job

And do you plan to call the tech support and complain to them that they had no update on it?

and fair enough wideband, i take your point that you do have to keep calling to raise the issue further and also that staff shouldnt get sour. But can you not see their point, that there is a major problem, you have no information yet for 8 hours people are going to give out to you over something you cannot possibly fix?

but i stand by the complaining point. half the posts on this forum are about people complaining about their connection, how they are getting slow speeds, how eircom are sh!te, how they are dropping packets, blah blah and most others just join in doing the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ticknock

This past week has been yet another of false promises, incompetence, ineptness, miss information and abysmal customer service from NTL. I thought Eircom were bad…why do some telecom/broadband service providers in this country think its ok to sh1t on their customers? Do they think we know no better? I got faster, better, cheaper Internet service in huts on remote islands in the arse of Asia than I can get in the capital city of one of the most prosperous nations in Europe.

We were without service for 1 month because they couldn’t get someone out and it took 3 visits to get it right because of their misdiagnosis of the problem each time. I have lost count of the number of times they promised us a call back to update us on the issue. Turns out “someone” had interfered with the external line and damaged it ( ie. an NTL service person probably connecting someone else up so they can also take their money on the pretence of offering a decent service)

And now this. I spent 3 days emailing them and getting denials that there even was a problem.

I go on to ask them who regulates them and they insist Com Reg. do…. Com Reg. tell me they were deregulated in 2003…ok whatever.

Moral of the story? Don’t do business with NTL. In my experience, when there’s a problem you will be left in your home without a service and losing money as I was. (I work from home) Sure, they will pay lip service to your problem but as for actually promptly dealing with your issues and thereby giving you service you actually pay for? Forget it.

Can anyone tell me who regulates these MF*&£er’s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

I think its back up and running ! well hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Seems grand for me now this evening, in D. 24 myself. Been pinging www.jolt.co.uk for past 5 minutes and no timeouts.

Did a bit of VOIP and that's also fine.

TC

• Advertisement

Event I was pretty clear refering to Customer Support.
    That was department I contacted first and as they didn't forward my case anywhere else that is department I'm in contact with.

And well I joined here becouse I had problem and was willing to discuss it. As problem persist for week I complain about things I don't like. Should I wow for cool service while it is not?

Hardly can be more constructive then forwarding information I'm getting.
    And threads with many posts are most likely to be noticed by other people who are choosing their provider so it helps make a right choice.

Anyway since few minutes service is back online here in Saggart Abbey.(D24)

It looks to be back in business at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ticknock wrote:
    This past week has been yet another of false promises, incompetence, ineptness, miss information and abysmal customer service from NTL. I thought Eircom were bad…why do some telecom/broadband service providers in this country think its ok to sh1t on their customers? Do they think we know no better? I got faster, better, cheaper Internet service in huts on remote islands in the arse of Asia than I can get in the capital city of one of the most prosperous nations in Europe.

We were without service for 1 month because they couldn’t get someone out and it took 3 visits to get it right because of their misdiagnosis of the problem each time. I have lost count of the number of times they promised us a call back to update us on the issue. Turns out “someone” had interfered with the external line and damaged it ( ie. an NTL service person probably connecting someone else up so they can also take their money on the pretence of offering a decent service)

And now this. I spent 3 days emailing them and getting denials that there even was a problem.

I go on to ask them who regulates them and they insist Com Reg. do…. Com Reg. tell me they were deregulated in 2003…ok whatever.

Moral of the story? Don’t do business with NTL. In my experience, when there’s a problem you will be left in your home without a service and losing money as I was. (I work from home) Sure, they will pay lip service to your problem but as for actually promptly dealing with your issues and thereby giving you service you actually pay for? Forget it.

Can anyone tell me who regulates these MF*&£er’s ?

nice first post :-)

answer COMREG

adamo wrote:
    Event I was pretty clear refering to Customer Support.
    That was department I contacted first and as they didn't forward my case anywhere else that is department I'm in contact with.

And well I joined here becouse I had problem and was willing to discuss it. As problem persist for week I complain about things I don't like. Should I wow for cool service while it is not?

Hardly can be more constructive then forwarding information I'm getting.
    And threads with many posts are most likely to be noticed by other people who are choosing their provider so it helps make a right choice.

Anyway since few minutes service is back online here in Saggart Abbey.(D24)

well then i retract it, i presumed that you were talking to the technical support department

and no, you shouldnt wow for cool service when its not, but do you wow when it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

any body got an email for there tech support?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

woodyg wrote:
    any body got an email for there tech support?
    customer.support@ntl.ie

Advertisement